Abilities, etc.

Discussion in 'Games: TCG' started by katha, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katha Jedi Master

star 2
    Most if not all of us know the abilities provided in the current TCG games...

But, what about those made by fellow players.

While I'm no expert.. I have invented a few abilities and such that go with my dream cards.

Who else has? Post and explain them..

My Dream card Abilities:

Ysalamiri
    Force Bubble X (All Force users get -X power.)

The rest of these are not really abilities but conditions and text that I haven't seen on any cards yet (feel free to point out cards that might have any of these):

You may complete Arlyadora Flowers only if there are no Ysalamiri in play. Cancel the last Mission your opponent completed.

As long as this unit is attacking (enter a specific unit or key word such as Imperials.. Rebels..etc.) this unit gets Accuracy X (Add +X to each of this unit's attack die.)
    (yes I know this is similar to Jango(C)'s get's +2 power for attacking Jedi, but I thought it different enough) ;)

And lastly my Begin Anew card:

Select on card from your hand and place 1 build counter on it. Return the rest to your deck. Shuffle. Draw a new hand. (7 cards)

Ok there's my stuff.
    Comment if you wish.. add ideas and abilities you've come up with
    Please don't bash anyone's ideas, but don't be afraid to offer advice for improvement.

Constructive criticism is our friend :)
  2. Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan

star 4
    You may complete Arlyadora Flowers only if there are no Ysalamiri in play. Cancel the last Mission your opponent completed.

I dont think this works, if your opponant plays, lets say, destory alderaan, how can you cancel that? retrieve your cards from lost pile?

Jedi Benji, In Lack of a Better Manual Sig

3. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    You could play it before the Mission has it's affect.
  4. katha Jedi Master

star 2
    Ok I officially hate the timed Edit thingy.. left one thing out:

When your opponent has (a specific unit) in play this unit deploys for (a number less than the original build cost).
    (This is a condition I picked up from CCG. For my card it was Ysalamiri deploying for 4 less if Katha was in play, because in my story the Ysalamiri are used to target Katha. This works to the advantage of the Dark Side even though Ysalamiri is a neutral card. The reason being, so far there are 3 Light Side versions of Katha and only 1 Dark Side version.)

In regard to the comments:
    I hadn't worked out when the card would be played, so I might need to do that.. also might need to rework the whole thing.

That's what this trhead is for.. to share ideas and work out any bugs with them as well. Thanks for the comments.. anyone have abilities to share?
  5. Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I remember putting one on my Dream Card in the First Competition, i think it went something like...

Bounty -> When Boba Fett Kills a unit, you gain 1 build point and discarded unit returns to opponants hand

Or somethin like that, some of us older people here might remember it.

Jedi Benji, In Lack of a Better Manual:D
  6. Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling

star 3
    FWIW, here were some powers/abilities I submitted for the "You Make The Card" contest on WOTC's web site:

Assassin X (may attack an opponent from build area; if this unit is in the build area during the build phase, untap it; while in build area unit has speed 10 and power X)

Spy X (At start of character battle phase, pay X force; this unit may not be attacked by opponent for remainder of turn)

7. RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus

star 2
    I'll probably get all kinds of chewing on being a party-pooper, stick-in-the-mud, peeing-on-parades. I'm going to be kind of critical of a number of these abilities mentioned above. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new things and ideas. Anyhoo, I gladly accept criticism on all that I post, so feel free to respond to me in kind.

Actually, I'll start with a positive!

The Ysalamiri Character with "Force Bubble X"
    I like the concept, though I'd make it more along the lines of the Nexu card, in that it inhibits, or even cancels Force use... which is what the ysalamiri did. It would make sense to limit it to both sides of the Character arena if it cancelled all Force use.

Arlyadora Flowers - Mission
    There are a number of issues with this card. If the DS played a mission card that affected build points, and they deployed a unit with additional build points, undoing this would force the DS player to reallocate the BPs back onto the unit and put that unit back in the build zone, if I get the picture. Also, in the case of Splinter the Republic, if I undid this, then I assume the card would go back to the draw deck and I'd lose any of the BP used to deploy and possibly stack it on top of a lower BP version???

Baca's suggestion really puts a monkey in the wrench, since that breaks the core rules in that the DS builds units only during their build step. Once the DS is done, then the LS begins their build step. The LS couldn't deploy their mission immediately.

As a wink-wink to Jedi_Benji's scenario, better hope that this mission is partially built, otherwise, the question is moot.

I think it would be much easier to have the card's text be something like "Your opponent cannot play Mission cards in the next build phase."

Accuracy vs. Card Type ability
    Quite reasonable. A variation on other Accuracy bonus Battle cards. If this card had a lower Force cost than the existing ones, it would certainly be worth it!

Begin Anew - Mission
    Kind of a mix of Plot the Secession and Our Only Hope. Also quite reasonable.

BP bonus for existing opponent's unit
    A nice conditional ability... I like it!

Bounty ability
    I would reword the BP text borrowing from Nute (B) and change "kill" to "damage discards", but I think we all get the gist. Otherwise, excellent!

Assassin ability
    A significant rules modifying ability, although from another perspective it's much like Ion Cannon and Bombard. The only thing that concerns me is its ability to attack without being attacked.

Spy ability
    I can handle that, but if I ever saw it in play, I would most likely groan. It better have a hefty Force cost.

I've never come up with any new abilities I thought were unique or worthwhile, although I have come up with dream units. I should probably post mine on that thread. However, here's a unit ability that's a variation on an existing ability theme:

Strafe X (Pay X Force --> For this attack, you may divide the damage done by this unit between the defending unit and another of your opponent's units in the same arena as the defending unit. Play only before you roll attack dice.)

A permanent "Blaster Barrage" ability! (And a mouthful.)/>
  8. Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Well, just to generate some more discussion on my suggested abilities....

"Assassin ability
    A significant rules modifying ability, although from another perspective it's much like Ion Cannon and Bombard. The only thing that concerns me is its ability to attack without being attacked."

Well, that's what an assassin does, right? :)

The trade off is a unit with this ability would have a pretty hefty build cost, and X would only be about 2 or 3 ... as you point out, it would be somewhat like Ion Cannon or Bombard. Plus, unlike the units with Ion Cannon or Bombard, this unit is retreated (although untapped), which means you can't use this unit to help you win an arena.

Really, it's just a permanent card that does something similar as those battle cards that say "Do X dice of damage..." (... sorry, can't remember the name of that card right now ...)

"Spy ability
    I can handle that, but if I ever saw it in play, I would most likely groan. It better have a hefty Force cost."

Sure would. Either 4 or 5. A spy would also have a low power. Can't go around acting too powerful or she'd blow her cover, you know....

Plus, I specifically worded it such that the unit could still be targeted by abilities like Deflect. The unit just can't be targeted for an attack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.