main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abolish speeding fines!!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Nyder, Nov 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I think they'd just take the photo out and show that. I doubt that they would have to throw it out on that sort of legal nitpick.

I mean in that way you couldn't have annonymous tips again because the person would have to go to court...

Kithera

2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I think they'd just take the photo out and show that. I doubt that they would have to throw it out on that sort of legal nitpick.

You've obviously never been a part of our glorious legal system then. ;)

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    For once, I have to concur with FID.

The nitpick is the justice system here sometimes.

4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    No, see, I live in Australia :p :)

I have heard about the American legal system, but I can't believe it could have that many holes that you could sneak through on such a tiny and stupid technicallity.

Kithera

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    In our legal system you could get away with murder. Literally. That's how bad it is.

6. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    I agree with Uruk_Hai

Maybe they should be less restrictive about speed on highways/freeways......

(Besides, most cars can't really go much faster than the max. speed limit......)

7. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    You're kidding, right?

Max speed limit around here is 65 mph, I can EASILY go 100 mph or higher in my old Nissan Stanza.

8. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Most cars can go faster and that is where the danger lies.

I don't think that they should be less restrictive at all. How fast you go is dependent not only on the speed limit, but the weather, the traffic and the road on which you are driving.

Like I said earlier, speeding fines are purely a voluntary contribution.

Kithera

9. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Talk about a glitch in the system...who posted about returning from a 6-month Navy deployment on the first page? It doesn't have a name, icon, or anything. :eek:

10. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Weird.

[image=http://www.sillymystic.com/misc/Board12-1-02.jpg]

11. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    HAAAA!!! Nyder your funny. If I push down on the gas with just an average push with my foot I'm at 60 MPH in 4.99 seconds. Then again like I said I have a high performance car. My car has the capabilities of maxing out at 175 mph but that is suicide and the closest I got was 148 mph on a professional track.

The majority of cars on the street today can do well over 65mph unless your driving Uncle Bucks car.

65 mph and below are effective speed limits for your average driver. Anything beyond that your really putting yourself and other in jeopardy. Imagine this. Say you haven't put air in your tires for a few months and they are getting low. What do you think will happen if your going 70 mph or more on a highway? You will lose control of your car and if your not careful you will reck. Of course this could happen at going 35mph or 45mph but the faster you go the worse it will be.

I really makes my day when I'm driving on a highway and I see all these idiots speed by me, especially the idiots with their zoom zoom cars which sound like a weed wacker who come right up on me wanting to race and I just wave to them and they buzz by and less than a mile later he is pulled over and getting a ticket. I get so happy. It makes my day.

12. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Speeding also makes driving for the rest of those around you a needless stressfest. Drivers weaving around cars, changing lanes quickly and constantly, tailgating, literally trying to push others down the road and out of the way, gunning it through intersections when others are waiting to use the yellow for a left...makes driving one of my least favorite activities. It's so much less stressful when traffic is flowing more or less the same speed and people leave each other some breathing room.

My motto is that from the comedien Galagher: If you want to get somewhere one light quicker, leave the house earlier!

13. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Personally I like our system where you have the right to know your accusor and question him. I tried talking to the camera on the corner but he wasn't too receptive to my questions.

In the US the ticket isn't what hurts, it's the raise in insurance. Some people pay more in insurance payments than they do in car payments, it's that bad. $100 fine is nothing but $20 extra a month in premiums for five years is $1200.

14. TeeBee

Apr 2, 2002
    You know, I used to be appalled at the rate hike we get for moving violation tickets, but after two years of observing Montreal drivers, who have no-fault insurance, I think it's helpful as a deterant. My theory from personal observation is that people who have no insurance repercussions (combined with a patheticly non-existant road patrol by the police) also seem to very MUCH drive like they're in their own little world. But why not, if tickets are rare and a fender-bender won't bust the budget? Doesn't make for safe or low-stress driving though. Every outing is an adventure, punctuated frequently by exclamations of "what are you DOING????". Frankly, sometimes I'd rather just close my eyes until I get to my destination.

I'm NOT looking forward to getting my license or driving anywhere when I move there. And yes, I know, bad drivers are everywhere, but I've lived in a couple US cities and the driving in Montreal is definitely 'erratic' by comparison, to say the least. :p

15. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Well, the maximum speed limit I've seen is 110 km/h, and I've only managed to get up to 140 km/h...

Maybe it's just perception but I don't consider that much over the limit...

However, you'd be crazy to go any faster as it would be difficult to keep control unless you had a really good high performance sports car..........

16. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    What's your big rush?? Do you have a pregnant woman in the back of your car?

I dunno about the rest of you, but if i had a car i would much rather drive it at a leisurely pace.

17. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    The maximum speed you can travel in Australia is 110 km/h on freeways. My car can travel in excess of 200 km/h.

Why have cars that can do these speeds? Why not limit them to 130 or so?

18. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Nyder, anyone who has an attitude like yours concerning speeding should have his/her license taken away.

I could throw grenades out in my yard and not kill someone. But if I kept throwing them out there, eventually I would kill someone. Just because you haven't killed someone yet, doesn't mean you won't.

Don't abolish speeding fines...abolish speeders!!

19. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    My car can only handle...90, max. :p

20. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I would love it if there were some way to limit the maximum speeds allowed for new cars being built, but high speeds seem to sell more cars. The auto industry wouldn't go into that one quietly.

21. Protoss72000

Protoss72000 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    "I have heard about the American legal system, but I can't believe it could have that many holes that you could sneak through on such a tiny and stupid technicallity."

believe it, once i saw a thief try to rob a mcdonalds with only an iron bar, all 5 workers jumped and beat the living crap out of the criminal. The criminal sued and won a case against mcdonalds for assualt. so yes are legal system does have some major flaws.

back on topic, just because you havent killed someone yet doesnt mean you wont, if you ever did kill someone the guilt you would feel from killing someone would be on you for the rest of your life. anyways what makes you want to speed, why not just go the speed limit and not risk your own life and others.

22. Olivier

Olivier Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Nyder,

Speed limits are not only a way to prevent people from doing stupid things like driving at 100 mph in town (yes, it does happen), it also gives drivers information about the road they're driving on. As long as a driver respects the speed limit, he knows that he'll be able to handle the turns, priorities, etc that he'll find on his way. I'll grant you that even then, you cannot always avoid an accident. But in this case, by driving slower, you lower the consequences of the accident.

A few days ago, a man was driving on a highway in France, and exceeded the speed limit with his "really good high performance" Mercedes (he later admitted he was driving at about 150 kmh). He reached a point on the highway were the lanes have been displaced, for maintenance reasons. The speed limit there is thus lowered to 90 kmh, and drivers are warned. But he didn't slow down. After all, if you exceed the speed limit when it's at 130 kmh, why not exceed it when it's at 90 kmh? A little farther on the road, a car had already had an accident, and firefighters were trying to save someone's life. This man didn't even have the time to break... he killed 5 firefighters.

My point: you never know what can happen on the road. The faster you drive, the less time you have to react to a danger. And this does not depend on how good your car is.*
    The people that set the speed limit know some of those risks. They know the shape of the road, if there are holes, sharp turns that cannot easily be spotted, they know what your line of sight will be, they know what the traffic is... When they decide what the speed limit should be, they usually take this into consideration. Why not follow their advice?

* There's a good advertising by Audi going on the air, btw. A guy drives in his brand new Audi with all security systems you can possibly imagine, and still has an accident. Their message is more or less the following: "The main security device in a car is ... the driver".

23. TeeBee

Apr 2, 2002
    Well, the maximum speed limit I've seen is 110 km/h, and I've only managed to get up to 140 km/h...

140 km/h is quite fast. The most my fiance ever goes is 120, and that's only on the open highway between Montreal and the border. Most of the in-town highways simply are not built for speed, and are often too crowded anyway, but that doesn't stop some people from trying.

I just have a personal preference for arriving at my destination in one piece, I prefer my underwear to be clean when I get there. :p

24. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Don't abolish speeding fines...abolish speeders!!

I totally agree with you on this Devilanse. If you're willing to speed all for the sake of getting to your destination quicker, then obviously you don't care for other drivers. I don't care how professional you are at driving, speeding is speeding. Speeding is dangerous to yourself and other drivers. Speeding is against the law. Speeding kills people. [face_plain]

25. Dath_BigGAME

Dath_BigGAME Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2001
    Any time the well being of another individual is put into danger the government is commisioned to protect the innocent citizens that might be harmed. The public highway is not a place for chaos. There is no way to maintain order without laws and police to govern driving. Everyone must conform to these laws to ensure that every citizen can be safe and use the roadways.

When you put someone else's life in danger, then something must be done. Anyone who harms or disrespects another is a criminal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.