main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abortion Laws: Pro Life or Pro Choice(v2)?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Master_Jedi_David, Nov 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Jedi_David

Master_Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    Pro life or Pro Choice?

Personally, im going to have to side with Pro choice; it should be the mother's choice as to if she chooses to have an abortion.
    If a woman really wanted to have an abortion, she would find a way. Nomatter if it was illegal, illogical, or sucidial. To protect the mother and the fetus, abortions should be legal and allowed.

KK EDIT: Locked in favor of a new thread being started.

2. Sithlord818

Sithlord818 Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    I don't like abortion, though I respect the fact that it is ultimately the mother's choice.

3. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    It's just not worth entering this debate again.

4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Pro-choice.

Abortion should never be anyone's goal, but I think that the ultimate decision should rest with the mother...it's her body.

Peace,

V-03

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Pro-Choice. It's a last resort but that freedom shouldn't be taken away.

E_S

6. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Pro-choice, you take away that right you might as well call getting your tubes tied or having a vasectomy, murder.

7. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think that abortion should be legal. If a girl doesn't want a baby why should she have to have one?

8. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I don't think I'm gonna debate this subject any more. There's not much point to it, especially when everyone who posted before me is pro-choice. :p

But I would like to point out that you made the exact same spelling error that was in the title of the previous thread... :D

9. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Just to be different... ;)

Pro-life.

Women have a choice, and it's the same choice that men have: the choice to prevent pregnancy through abstinance or birth control. Once a new life exists, it's no longer part of the woman's body - it's a new person who deserves the protection of the law.

I realize that not all birth control is 100% effective and that women are usually the ones who bear the burden of an unplanned pregnancy, but we should working toward more effective birth control and a fairer system of justice when it comes to parental responsibility. We should not be legalizing a practice that terminates a human life.

10. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    I think the father should have more rights.

That is all.

11. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    the ultimate decision should rest with the mother...it's her body.

In what respect is it "her body"? One woman does not have 4 legs, 4 arms, two beating hearts...

12. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    I wonder if the Pro-life people also disagree with stem-cell research?

13. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    I haven't researched the subject too much, but I don't see anything wrong with it (research) provided you're using stem cells that no one (Herein I include embryos) had to die to provide.

14. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Pro-choice.

If anyone says anything new I'll be back, but it'll probably be the same old arguments.

A woman has a constitutional right to control her own reproductive system, to determine whether she will bear a child. That is a fact. I just want everyone to keep that in mind, right now, it's FACT.

I also don't think an embryo is the same thing as a human life.

15. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    We should not be legalizing a practice that terminates a human life.

Yeah, you're right. Which is why pro-lifers will never get their way. :D

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    "A system that legalizes the termination of life", eh? What, like capital punishment?

E_S

17. TheScarletBanner

TheScarletBanner Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    What, like capital punishment?

Yeah, that thing that Conservatives, a lot of whom also happen to be pro-lifers, believe in.

Hilarious contradictions. [face_laugh]

- Scarlet.

18. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Isn't it kinda funny that most of the pro-lifers you'll meet support the death penalty?

19. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I'm going to go out on a limb here...

I'm both pro-choice and pro-life.

I am a big believer in choice. You are free to choose your actions, but you must accept the consequences of those actions. The decision to have sex is an acknowledgement that you are willing to run the risk of becoming a parent (even with birth control). They chose to have sex, so they should learn to live with the consequences.

And, it is not as if they have to keep the baby. I have known several people who chose not to have an abortion but instead gave the baby up for adoption. There is no need to end the baby's life just because you don't want to be bothered with having a child. You made the choice to have sex, you should live with the consequences.

For those who did not make the choice to have sex (such as cases of rape), I do believe that the Mother then has a choice as to whether to have the baby, give it up for adoption, or, in extreme cases, have an abortion.

Kimball Kinnison

20. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    What, like capital punishment?

Yeah, that thing that Conservatives, a lot of whom also happen to be pro-lifers, believe in.

Hilarious contradictions.

There is no contradication in supporting the life of an unborn and thus innocent child and supporting capital punishment for those who have abused their freedoms to the extent that they no longer deserve the right to life. If there was a contradiction then surely anyone opposed to the death penalty cannot support abortion without being contradictory. They are two seperate issues and cannot be combined in this way.

21. im_posessed

im_posessed Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2002
    I am definately pro life
    as mentioned before, an embryo is a life
    if a woman (or man) does not want to be responsible for a child, they should not have sex. there are consiquences to actions, and birth control isn't perfect
    in the case of rape, personally, i think a baby is something good that can come from a horrible experience. ther are those who disagree with that, but people whom i'veknown who have become pregnant due to rape have been so thankful...their child has helped them heal
    i stand on the fact that no person has the right to take the life of another.

22. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    TSB, if you consider being pro-life and pro-death penalty to be a contradiction, then you imply that abortion IS indeed killing a human being. Which many, including you I believe, have vehemently argued (in various creative ways) that it is not.

Is THAT not in itself a contradiction?

23. POLUNIS

POLUNIS Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002
    There is no contradication in supporting the life of an unborn and thus innocent child and supporting capital punishment for those who have abused their freedoms to the extent that they no longer deserve the right to life. If there was a contradiction then surely anyone opposed to the death penalty cannot support abortion without being contradictory. They are two seperate issues and cannot be combined in this way.

That was exactly what I was going to say ;)

24. AxtonTredway

AxtonTredway Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2001
    The "Right To Abortion" is a very tenuous right that is soleley based on Federal case law protecting "a woman's right to privacy"-not abortion...I am neither pro-life or pro-choice...I believe that each pregnancy is a separate event with its own set of circumstances. However, the whole "It's My Body" argument is not a viable legal argument as much as it is a compelling "moralizing" argument....When was the last time you saw someone selling their organs on ebay?!...One guy tried and it was determined it was illegal...."But it was his body"... Suicide in this country isn't legal either....So much for the "It's My Body" legal argument......So many people THINK they are freer in this country than they actually are...I don't get this whole denial issue over America not becoming more Orwellian by the day.

25. im_posessed

im_posessed Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2002
    a quetion : when does an embryo become a human? is it at birth, and if it is, what if one baby is born at 40 weeks (the norm) and another at 26 (usually the least needed to survive)...is the younger still a human? or did the older become human at 26 weeks also?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.