main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abortion Laws: Pro Life or Pro Choice(v2)?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Master_Jedi_David, Nov 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Scientific evidence not available in 1973 now shows conclusively that life begins at conception (since part of the original Roe decision was based on inherent uncertainty about when life began - not a "personhood" question, and

Maybe the 'personhood' argument is the right one (I feel it is). I honestly cannot comprehend how anyone, aside from improvable religious reasons, can say that the defining characteristic for human life is not being aware or thinking or sentient. Given that a baby is thinking and aware to a point, and a fertilized egg is not, there must be some point along the way where that changes and there is a human life.

If you want to say just when there is life, than every cell in my body is a life and needs to be protected? It is ludicrous to say life and no more.

This does not make abortion ok; it just changes the arguments a bit.

EDIT: JFT, 40 million.

2. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    Saying life begins at conception is an OPINION.

No, saying life begins at conception is a fact.

Saying a person is there at conception is an opinion.

3. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Sorry, that reminded me of the disgusting propaganda short film 'The Silent Scream' :)

4. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Life does indeed begin at conception as a singular cell with distinct DNA and ends up in the deterioriation of old age (same DNA) if given a full life span.

Any other supposed beginning of life besides initial conception is completely based upon arbitrary opinion, because human life begins with that single cell - it doesn't start anywhere else. The implanted fetus came from the zygote before it (same DNA), the initial conception (single cell) contains the same DNA as the implanted fetus. The sperm and egg separated obviously do not.

It is a ludicrous argument (and basically burying your head in the sand to justify your position) that human life begins anywhere else but with conception.

5. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    DM: Let's make the human life begin with the egg and the sperm, because the zygote comes is a joining of the egg and the sperm. So, let's send all women to jail after their period and all men to jail every time they ejaculate for any purpose other than procreation.

That would create a lot of jobs and help everyone be mature.

:)

-Aunecah

6. Master_Fwiffo

Master_Fwiffo Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2001
    Let's make the human life begin with the egg and the sperm, because the zygote comes is a joining of the egg and the sperm. So, let's send all women to jail after their period and all men to jail every time they ejaculate for any purpose other than procreation.

That would create a lot of jobs and help everyone be mature.

But neither the egg or the sperm has 23 chromosomes. Therefore, they cannot POSSIBLY be human. And neither the egg nor the sperm will become a human without the other, so they are not human.

Your logic is faulty.

Or were you kidding?

7. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    I'm pro-choice, but it can only make sense that life - ie a new genetic entity - begins at fertilisation.

I wish more pro-choicers would accept that abortion is a deeply unpleasant and difficult to justify morally.

8. IkritMan

IkritMan Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    I think he was kidding, but either way, you made a valid argument.

It would be awesome if the original decision was overturned, then we could stop the mass slaughter innocent infants regardless of whatever the so called "bleeding heart liberals" are crying.

9. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I've been asked to lock this so we can start a new thread. Let's give it a try. This one is pretty long already.

Kimball Kinnison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.