Abortion: Pro-Choice or Pro-Life? (v3)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Aunecah_Skywalker, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The Judeo-Christian god was a baby-killer himself.

Remember that thing in Exodus where he killed all the first-born sons of Egypt?
    I don't see how Christians can be opposed to killing babies, with that sort of precedent.
  2. joeryanastro Jedi Knight

star 1
    I stand completely dumbfounded by the fact that I spent 8 YEARS in a Catholic school, where we watched The Ten Commandments (Charlton Heston) at least once every 2 years, and I never picked up on the irony until I read the above post. That is just too ridiculous (and sad, in a way).
  3. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    JKH, you are about to get a bunch of "but that's different!" posts, and perhaps some flames...

You brought it on yourself with your delicious irony! :D

E_S
  4. T-65XJ Force Ghost

star 3
    Oh but they weren't God's babies, they were the babies of the enemies of the Jews (God's people). That must make it ok.

I must admit, I was totally dumbstruck when I saw that bit in a movie. Very "my way or the die way". But essentially that's the christian message isn't it? Don't believe in god, go to hell, regardless of whether you're a good person? So I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised. It's consistent at least.
  5. Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Most religious beliefs are exclusive in their interpretations and the way in which they treat nonmembers.

It's nothing new to Christianity.

Peace,

V-03
  6. ClonedEmperor Jedi Master

star 4
    Whose decision was it to punish the Egyptians by killing all the firstborns (this includes 80 year old men who were firstborn as well) ? God's. The Jews had nothing to do with that.

And also, a child has no since of right and wrong, therefore they arent guilty of the sin they commited, and therefore Christ would accept them into Heaven because they had no chance to accept him. Better fate then the firstborn men worshipping Anubis and Ra, lot of good it did them.
  7. Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    If you believe that's what happens....

Peace,

V-03
  8. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm Pro-Life so I think they should set up more adoption agencies and make adoption more affordable so woman do not have to abort unless they are going to die.
  9. Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    There are always those who are going to want to end a pregnancy for reasons other than health, and they should (early on) have that option.

Adoption is not the final solution to the divisive problem of abortion; a perfect contraceptive with access to all would go a lot farther towards solving the problem, IMHO.

Peace,

V-03
  10. LemmingLord Jedi Master

star 4
    As a libritarian and a balanced budget enthusiast I believe that the government needs to stay out of the business of deciding what medical procedures its citizens have; in addition, we, as citizens, should not "allow" the government to act as an organization for the funding of health care for that very reason (i.e. with the power to fund, the government then has the power to set up who gets funding and who does not).

I'm pro choice and pro life and pro prevention. And I'm stingy with my money too. :)
  11. LemmingLord Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, something very cheap, very safe, easily reversble and found in soft drinks (or maybe with salt like iodine).
  12. Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    There was an episode of the old show "Sliders" about that:

"BC Cola! Birth Control in a can!"

Peace,

V-03
  13. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    When God said he would kill all the first born son. That ment young and old alike not just babies.

I must admit, I was totally dumbstruck when I saw that bit in a movie. Very "my way or the die way". But essentially that's the christian message isn't it? Don't believe in god, go to hell, regardless of whether you're a good person? So I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised. It's consistent at least.

Let's also remember that Egpity(sp) had a whole group of people put into slave labor were many babies, young children, women, and men young and old dead.

14. T-65XJ Force Ghost

star 3
    So now it's an eye for an eye? What ever happened to turn the other cheek? Just after I say at least they're consistent, you post something like this.
  15. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    It's not eye for any eye. The guy holding the slaves had many chances to let them go. But then I ask should those people have been kept as slaves. Any kind of slaver is bad no matter who the people are. And to inslave a whole race of people is far wrose then the death of the first borns sons.
  16. ClonedEmperor Jedi Master

star 4
    And if you'll read the actual account of Pharoah's feelings on this, 5 times he hardened his own heart and wouldnt let them go... he had already made his decision, God was just concreting it. He had his chance
  17. EnforcerSG Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://www.krausedennis.de/STK/Banner.jpg]
    Every time you go off topic, a Mod kills a kitten.

Please think of the kittens. :p

So. Yeah, Flipping through this site was fun.. A little bit of semantic playing around; what I have been calling human they have been calling human life, and what I have been calling human life they are calling a human person, but otherwise an interesting read.
  18. Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Pro-choice.
    I am a firm believer in 'No one will tell me what to do.'

I may not agree with abortion, but I would never take away someones rights to choose it.
    What are the reasons behind the abortion?

What if they were raped?
    Would you want a child that reminded you of what happened?
    So you put the child up for adoption, that child later tries to find it's parents and discovers that s/he is the result of a rape?
    Is that a good thing?

I am not so sure.
  19. LemmingLord Jedi Master

star 4
    I believe we should not encourage special privileges for those who have been raped. Should not a raped individual have the same obligations as an individual who has not been raped?
  20. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    What if they were raped?
    Would you want a child that reminded you of what happened?

Not ever woman is like that though.
  21. Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    But who are you to make the decision for those who are?

It's none of the government's business; the state should not be omnipresent in the womb, at least within reason.

Peace,

V-03
  22. Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I would have thought that they would need all the support they could get after that?
  23. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Dear lord I'd hope you're being facetious.

If so, be careful, there's some literal minded people here.

If not, why?

E_S
  24. IkritMan Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Because they don't consider themselves gods, perhaps?

Actually, Jewish first-borns died too.

EDIT: Ok, in regards to the rape issue, I think that if people are pro-life for non-rape victims, they should also be pro-life for rape victims. The platform for being pro-life is that abortion is murder, so it should seem obvious to pro-lifers that murder is murder. I would not be allowed to commit murder if I was raped, so why, in the pro-life sense, would a rape victim be allowed to do the same?
  25. Aumgn Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm totally prochoice, but Ikky is being totally consistent with his position. If abortion is akin to hacking a stranger to pieces with an axe, then it doesn't matter of the murder is a rape victim or not. It's completely consistent.

Radical consistency is to be respected, especially when it helps demonstrate how awful one position actually is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.