main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Abortion: Why not?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba Nekhbet, Feb 11, 2016.

1. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014

There's quite a community of enraged and hopelessly lost Southerners in Salzburg. They gather outside the lovely Baroque cathedral to busk for change and dream of tracking down the elitist liberal Australo/Euro-scum who mocked their people.

[​IMG]

2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    The USA is divided by not only state but by county/district when it comes to sex Ed. I learned about condoms/sexually transmitted diseases/the risks of drugs-alcohol-cigarettes at age 10. And that was in 1985. But of course I grew up in the awful liberal NYC that Cruz hates. I also never had accidental pregos or an STD.

3. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    The problem with this argument is that Planned Parenthood, like any business, is required by law to engage in something called 'accounting'. In other words, they have to keep track of where the money goes in a ledger. Now, for your claim to be true, several things have to happen:

1) The primary purpose of Planned Parenthood has to be to perform abortions--it isn't, so the entire premise of your argument fails on its face.

2) Federal money going to the organization actually has to be used to perform an abortion, which is currently illegal

3) The organization's leadership has to be willfully altering their records to show that none of said money is actually be used for abortions.

Evidence that any of these conditions have been met--despite a thorough investigation--has yet to surface. Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that it does not exist, and that your initial claim is false.

That being said, I don't expect you to accept my reasoning. In general, I've found that it's difficult to argue with someone who has made up their mind beforehand and is unable to be open-minded enough to free themselves from the clutches of confirmation bias.

4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Stupid is as stupid does.

5. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/04/nyregion/04abortion.html?_r=0

41% of all pregnancies end in abortion in NYC, soooo...

6. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    So that means someone isn't paying attention in sex ed class, or has inadequate access to contraception. Also, NYC is not the country, any more than Dr. Gosnell is all abortion providers.

But nice try ;).

EDIT: And by the way, if abortion were to suddenly become illegal, do you really think people would just magically stop having sex? Those 41% would end up in alleys with coat hangers.

But of course, like the audience that cheered back in 2012 at the suggestion that the uninsured should be allowed to die, a back-alley abortion would probably be viewed by the same individuals as fitting punishment for those darn sluts not keeping their stoopid legz shutt!!!

7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Access, education means that people who aren't ready to have children aren't having children in one of the most crowded places on earth. Win. Win. Win.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, it seems that inadequate access to contraception is the issue here. Not sure how any problem would be solved by forcing those 41 percent to have babies they obviously are not ready to have.

Gorefiend and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  9. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Then why did he say that his situation was because of NYC? Clearly his situation was because of other factors. I'd guess either an intact family or a focus on education. Perhaps both. :)

10. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    And this is evidence that broad-based access to sex education and birth control is undesirable how???

11. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    I don't know. I was merely addressing vin's point that being from NYC prevented him from having an unplanned pregnancy.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Catching up on the last few pages has been...educational. You've all taught me alot, you bunch of degenerate ****ing paedos.

And thank goodness NY has great sex ed. Imagine the abortion rates if they did not?

13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I was speaking on my belief that the education helped me. SexEd is usually demonized. Two kids were removed from SexEd because of their Jesus loving parents. Same parents who cut out Slave Leia from their Return of the Jedi books lol. Yeah one of those two knocked a girl up in high school. Just speaking of my experiences.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Going to school and teaching school in the Bible Belt, I have seen MANY instances in which kids have not the first clue about sex or reproduction and ended up getting pregnant or impregnating someone because of that. Then getting married too early or being shunned by their families and/or churches because they dared to have sex.

Then there are those who wait until they are married and have bad sexual relationships then due to the indoctrination of "sex is forbidden."

15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i was an RA in bible college and i had to give all the guys i was in charge of a sex talk.

i gave them, like, an ACTUAL sex talk about how to use condoms and have safe sex and ****, and i got in a bunch of trouble for it. BUT NONE OF THE GUYS KNEW THAT ****. COLLEGE AGE MALES WHO DIDN'T KNOW THAT YOU SHOULD USE A CONDOM ALL THE TIME

also, this was in calfironia.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Oh good.... J-Rod is about to villainize single parents again.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No but it's true. It's not a South-only thing. I went to school in SoCal and we weren't academically wanting, but our sexed stuff was still abstinence-only.

It was terrible. My 6th grade sex Ed class had more information than my high school one.

The only good thing I can say about the HS one is that the black power ranger taught it in an assembly. He denied it, but I'm telling you he was totally the black power ranger.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I went to Catholic school in California from grades 2-12. I got sex ed in 5th Grade (we called it "Family Life") and it was very informative and comprehensive. Condoms, STDs, abortion, everything. I got a little bit more in high school but not much. But even there, when I was being taught by nuns, we were given all the information we needed and nothing was off the table. I vividly remember my teacher, Sister Peggy, talking about abortion. She didn't preach her views or the church's views and never once did she try and dissuade anyone from seeking it out if they ever needed it. Woman's body: woman's choice. Done.

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    my sixth grade teacher showed her co-ed sex ed class a slide show of a nude couple having unsimulated sexual intercourse in a variety of positions. It was a scandal that rocked the school

20. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    That's awesome as hell.

Where did you go to school?

21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    university-affiliated school in Illinois

Vaderize03 likes this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It's never a bad time.

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    J-Rod, do you have any sort of data which correlates states with no-sex ed - and for practical purposes, given its demonstrable failures, we would include abstinence-only as "no" since the end result is the same - and teen pregnancy?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. DeltaRen

DeltaRen Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2016
    Recently, Donald Trump said he believes that if abortion were to be made illegal, women who have one should be criminally punished somehow. Being Trump, he later took it back stating only the doctor who performed the abortion should be punished, and that the woman was a victim of the abortion.

But this isn't the election thread, so on to my point.

Many pro-lifers were outraged by his comments, saying that a woman who gets an abortion should never be punished for it. This stance sounds a bit hypocritical to me. If someone believes abortion should be outlawed because it basically equates to murder, shouldn't it follow that a woman who actively sought out an abortion be held criminally liable as well, being complicit in the doctor's "murder" of the unborn fetus?

It seems that would be the logical conclusion of the whole "abortion is murder" line of reasoning.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Exactly.

I personally don't like the idea of abortion that much. But I recognize that we don't live in a perfect world. And I recognize that the logical outcome of believing in
    * legal personhood for zygotes, embryos, and fetuses
    * abortion is murder
    is punishing any woman seeking an abortion, and charging her with murder. Which just doesn't seem just or fair or humane to me.