main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Abortion: Why not?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba Nekhbet, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, I have an issue here that I think will unite all of us, ie. the spelling "foetus." Get that **** out of this thread. This is confusing enough without putting another letter into the mix. I briefly thought that "foetus" referred to a fetus that was also a villain.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Which is why I'm for medical exceptions.

3. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Fellow OCDer? :p

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It is an objectively terrible spelling.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm a Brit. I have a slight preference for older spellings with more letters. Like sulphur instead of sulfur. Interestingly, my spellchecker treats "sulfur" and "fetus" as misspellings.

FatBurt likes this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The last few pages have been excellent, you've all behaved very well while discussing a very touchy subject. I don't have anything to add because every single thing I wanted to say has already been said, some of it from the other side of the debate!

Gold stars for everyone! Keep up the good work!

J-Rod, Rew, Jedi Knight Fett and 8 others like this.
  7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    yes it's Foetus
    Honour
    Armour
    Sulphur

Not your daft American way of spelling things

Iron_lord and Ender Sai like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    A blow for idiot spelling?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I agree, all those extra 'o' s are idiotic.

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I clicked on this thread again for this?

11. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    Not sure what to post either, except for maybe an anecdote or two. Like how I'm the result of two teenagers in a trailer park. My mother was supposed to be babysitting her brother and sister when she let my father in. Don't know if the kids were napping or not (hopefully).

My grandfather hated my father, nevermind when he found out his daughter had been knocked up.

I was a prime candidate for a... crude abortion? Thankfully never happened. maybe not thankfully. I don't have Butterfly Effect powers, and can never know for sure.

It was very surreal for me when I learned my origins. I didn't meet my biological father until I was in my twenties. My mom never talked about him until then.

I always assumed she'd been raped or something.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    It's funny how being umarried and unemployed are reasons that sj might not be able to adopt when similar consideration isn't given to unemployed and unmarried women who wish to end their pregancies for that reason.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't think that's quite the whole in her logic you present, though. She gave a two-part explanation:

1. Medical conditions as a reason she is personally in a less favorable condition to bear children.
    2. Social circumstance as a reason she is personally in a less favorable condition to raise children.

Insofar as I know her entire argument has been predicated on others stepping in to assume all care-giving responsibilities after birth. That's something of a separate question from whether children should be carried to term or not.

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well you're here now, so obviously we don't question that. But when we're dealing with an undeveloped fetus or embryo, if the parents don't want to carry the pregnancy to term then they ought to have the option to abort it. That's not murder...it's in no way reasonable to treat it as murder...if anything the result is closer to "the sperm and egg never met" than it is to murder.

Ava G. likes this.
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Don't mind if I do.

Absolutely agree.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Again, I'm very much for abundant birth control and the morning after pill. If it gets past that stage, I'm for free medical care so people can carry to term. Also I already said I was for exceptions for medical reasons and life endangerment.

If we had free medical care and better welfare, I wouldn't have any reasons not to have a kid.

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Excellent job in giving the hypocrisy a pass Wocky. I know there's vested self interest for you in it, but still...

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hypocrisy?

Yeah I can't support a kid right now. So I'm on birth control and not even having sex with anyone. And I'm for educating and facilitating birth control for all. I have zero risk of pregnancy except in a case of rape, which I am for an abortion exception for. If I wanted to not abort, I'm for free pre and post-natal care. If I wanted to give a baby up for adoption, I'm for the government funding that to make it easier for middle class families to adopt like they want to (and happen to be part of a religion that adopts at twice the rate of the rest of the population). If I wanted to keep the baby as a single mother, I'm for free healthcare and the welfare state.

These are actual consistent positions that offer solutions to current problems. I see the wider societal issues that lead to more abortions and I want to stop them. I don't just want to endlessly fight over the act itself, but work across sides to achieve a mutual goal of people needing fewer abortions in the first place.

So where, pray tell, are you seeing hipocrisy, except through your hate-colored glasses?

Rew, Ghost and Ava G. like this.
  19. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    You can't call someone a hypocrite and not back up your statement. What part of "can't support a child right now" is so controversial?

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News was saying that counting started at 9AM UK time and the result should be known this afternoon.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's ridiculous that Ireland doesn't have mail-in ballots for expats and they actually have to fly back in order to vote.

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Counting is almost done in Ireland. With 3 constituencies to go, the Yes vote is 67.3 and the No vote is 32.7.
    BBC News.

24. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Amazing how mature they’ve been about this entire process, unlike another country I know [face_whistling]...

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For a country like Ireland to take this action is going to send shockwaves around the globe.

Been fascinating watching it all ratchet up, fairly certain one of my colleagues flew back to vote.

Alpha-Red likes this.