main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

About Crimson Empire...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Nemesis, Apr 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Nemesis

Darth_Nemesis Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    I heard Nom Anor is in it, also what's the basic story line of these comics. I never got around to reading them.

2. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    I've never read them, was there any hint he was a Vong, did he do anything Vongish?

3. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Well.. he was manipulative and stuff, but you never see his face, so it's not confirmed that he's a Vong until 'Vector Prime'. He's in Crimson Empire II, by the way.

4. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    Well, did he do anything like a Vong would do? Is he contacted by the Vong? Does he use his villip?

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I have not read them either, however he is in them.

What essentially took place was LFL said "Hey, that Nom Anor he sounds like a Yuuzhan Vong" and he was then created. If one reads CE, then they will know that the character's name is Nom Anor and it is the same Nom Anor seen in Vector Prime.

He is pretty much trying to sow confusion in the Imperial Remnant, and from my understanding, it worked.

6. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Yeah. And he wore that chic metal outfit and spoke like a snake.

7. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Yeah, when CE2 came out, "Nom Anor" wasn't intended to be a Vong. He was retconned to be a Vong when 'Vector Prime' came out. Originally, I think he was supposed to be some sort of Sith somethingorother.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I recall reading something along the lines of he was supposed to be some kind of very alien species, and that the metal outfit was more of a containment suit to make him appear more humanoid...kind of a cross between Kosh from B5 and that one Goa'uld on SG-1...

9. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    According to Randy Stradley, the guys at Dark Horse were the ones who originally came up with the idea to do an invasion storyline and put Nom Anor into CE II with the purpose of him playing a similar role as he did in the NJO. Apparently, they brought it up at a meeting with LFL and Del Rey and Del Rey took the idea and ran with it. The NJO turned out to be a lot different than DH intended, and they sort of regretted bringing up the idea in front of Del Rey since they could no longer do the story as originally intended.

10. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Nom has a good day out in Crimson Empire. He controls Xandel Cavirus, the leader of the Empire, like a puppet, and only does Cavirus realise this at the very end, when Anor has left him. Devious to the last.

Was it ever revealed why Grappa the Hutt was so scared by Anor?

11. Voren

Voren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2002
    Hi

I can't answer that, but I do think that the use of Nom Anor in CE was great!

It really ties the NJO books in with the rest of the story and shows how much planning the Vong did when organising their invasion, makes them very scary!

The best bit was reading Vector Prime and suddenly recognising the name. I could not get to the CE books fast enough!

V.

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    T2Q: You mean Anubis? That's funny, cuz' Anubis always reminded me of Nom Anor... :)

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's him- his name slipped my mind and I'm still not done catching up on SG-1 yet (the sci-fi monday reruns ended with the 4th season finale and then started over- damn syndication rights, always messing up my viewing expierences!), so I've only seen a couple episodes with him in it (mainly the season 6 finale on Abydos).

14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Yeah, I have the same problem. I too have only seen him in the finale.

15. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    "Anubis" (as in... the dog-headed warrior whom Kurt Russell kills in the film, 'Stargate') has made appearances in the show? That's awesome! he was my favorite character in the movie.

16. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    No, the show diverges a little from the movie. In the show there are many aliens taking the names of gods from Earth mythology, and Anubis is one of them.

17. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    So this new "anubis" has nothing to do with the "anubis" from the film? That sucks.

18. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I don't think "anubis" from the film was ever mentioned by name, was he? I think it was just a warrior wearing an anubis helmet.

In the show, the warriors of the gods wear the helmets of the animal of the god they serve.

19. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    He's "Anubis". He's credited in the credits, script, and film novelization as "Anubis", wears the armor of Anubis "the jackal-dog", and I believe Ra refers to him as Anubis at least once or twice.
    As the novelization (and a deleted scene from the film) explain it, Ra has one lead warrior and chief of security known as "Anubis", who is hand-picked from his warriors. There is only one Anubis at a time, and if someone wishes to become the new Anubis, he (Anubis is always male) challenges the current Anubis to a fight to the death. If the challenger wins... he's the new Anubis. If the current Anubis dies (such as what happens in a deleted scene from the film, where the Anubis from thousands of years ago hits the stone "shield" the ancient humans erect around the earth-side Stargate ring), then Ra replaces him.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the new Anubis only shares the name with the warrior from the film. He actually looks more like Nom Anor in CE2, as R-Ten mentioned above.

To my recollection, they haven't re-used the dog-head helmets in the show, only the bird-head one from the film and the serpent-head one created for the show.

21. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Well, Apophis (or Apep) was the evil god of darkness represented by a serpent, hence the serpent helmets in SG-1.

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Actually, in the Ultimate Edition DVD'is special features section for the film, Anubis is referred to as "Inubis" and the bird heads, (Horus), are called "Oris". This may have been a rivisory attempt at continuity with the show.

The show's Anubis is completely different from the film's. The show's Anubis is Goa'uld, (Ra's race), whereas the film's was likely Jaffa, (humans genetically manipulated to serve as warriors for the Goa'uld). Also, the show's Anubis was MIA for millenia before his appearence in the show, which surprised the other Goa'uld, who thought him dead, (the details of his appearence are telling, so I won't reveal them).

23. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Actually, the various chats and interviews have made it pretty clear that the "Jaffa" in the film were not "Jaffa" in the traditional sense. They were never Hathorized (so to speak) to give them pouches, nor were they Goa'uld larva-carrying Jaffa born into service that Ra took with him because, remember, Ra believed himself to be the last of his dying race at the time that he arrived on Abydos. The other Goa'uld came around and tooled around with humanity, but Ra was effectivly, for whatever reason, shut off from them.

As for the character in the film, they have also noted that the Anubis in the film is one of the many warriors that Ra gave an Egyptian mythology persona to help control the populace of Egypt and Abydos. The actual Goa'uld Ancient Anubis has no ties whatsoever to Egyptian mythology, though he may have carried out acts that Ra allowed to be attributed to his Jaffa, in order to increase his prestige.

24. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    ...so what you're telling me is, the show has dumbed down the film's Anubis as to say that he's not the 'real Anubis'?

25. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    The show hasn't done anything. The show hasn't mentioned the film's Anubis. The creators have taken the track that the novelization took, since it was written by the film's creators.

Oddly, it is one of the only areas where they have deferred to the original creative team, since when Devlin and Emmerich sold off their rights to the series, they soon started blasting SG-1 (with no right or claim to do so, since they sold off what little say they ever had in the evolution of "their" story).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.