main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

About rescoring the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by baritonep1aya, Dec 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baritonep1aya

baritonep1aya Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2002
    When Anakin blows up the Droid Control ship in Phantom Menace, you hear this fantastic Force/Duel of the Fates theme. Do you think there's any chance of JW to maybe put that in when Darth turns to good and throws the Emperor into the reactor?

GK edit: Edited thread title for clarity.

2. baritonep1aya

baritonep1aya Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2002
    I mean, we remember how John recycled the Binary Sunset from ANH into RotJ, so it wouldn't be new or anything...

3. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    He didn't recycle the Binary Sunset cue, per se, he just used a similar orchestration of the Force Theme.

And why should he rescore that part (or ANY part) of the OT in the first place?

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Even though this is off slightly from the thread topic, much similar discussion had gone on here.

As far as scenes from the throne room in ROTJ, the scoring there is perfect! There's no need to tamper with The Dark Side Beckons or The Emperor's Death at all!

5. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    "As far as scenes from the throne room in ROTJ, the scoring there is perfect! There's no need to tamper with The Dark Side Beckons or The Emperor's Death at all!"

Oh soooooo true.To him you listen!

6. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    The problem with ROTJ is that the sound quality of the RCA album sucks hard compared to the quality of ANH and TESB. Also, the switch between atmospheric music (for Dark Side Beckons, Emp. Death etc.) and loud action cues is sometimes irritating, while the long tracks in TESB didn't have such big changes in tone and had a more smooth flow. I'd love to have both the original version and a more listener-friendly ''re-score''.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes the sound quality is HORRID on ROTJ. Even IN the film, the soundtrack sounds like crap. I have them on laserdisc in 5.1 sound from the SE release and you can tell the music sounds crappy even in the film mix. So I feel that, like ANH, ROTJ and even ESB are all candidates for a re-recording of the scores exactly as they appear currently...

8. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Back to the re-recording question. I'm all for it. Just don't add DOTF to the OT.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes... no DOTF... that should remain in the first three films. Anakin's theme might work briefly in ROTJ, tho... :D

10. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I want Anakin's theme also in ROTJ and Across the Stars (Luke & Leia's talk about Padme).

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    See now there's an idea... Remove that piece of "Yoda and the Force" tracked in from ESB and replace it with a new bit ... perhaps using Across the Stars...

:)

12. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Hmmm, I'm generally not in favor of adding to the OT themes which were new in the PT -- DOTF, TF March, etc. However, that may be a spot where ATS might work well. But it would have to be very low and subtle -- background to Luke's revelation, I think.

I'm not sure about Anakin's Theme anywhere. He doesn't really return until he kills the Emperor. The death scene in the shuttle bay is already scored beautifully. Would a brief statement work during or right after Luke & Vader's meeting on Endor?

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    No... I agree Vader's death is scored really well... but I would be willing to give a new piece here a chance.... (give piece a chance... huhuh)

14. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
  15. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    (Oh, please, RMCOY, do something, this silliness may not endure :p :p "give piece a chance" ? ... stri, what did you have for dinner?? :D)

rerecording would be nice, but no changes.

except, maybe, not using Hyperspace and Binary Sunset at the end of RotJ, but original things (BoEIII and Light of the Force maybe?)

same for Hyperspace while the snowspeeders search for Luke and Han

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    NO...the music for that scene is perfect. The music when Anakin destroys the TF battleship is big, happy, overwhelming. The somber yet powerful Force Theme when vader destroys the Emperor lets us know that while the good guys are gonna win this one, it's not gonna be happily-ever-after after they win.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't really see much in Jedi that I would CHANGE. Most of my issues with the Jedi score are simply sound quality, which is HORRID. Go listen to the 20th Anniversary E.T. CD and tell me why Jedi sounds worse than ANH when it is NEWER than E.T.

18. Wolverine

Wolverine Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 1999
    A re-recording, I can live with.
    But the only change that I can live with or imagine is to ad just a hint of imperial march as vader enters Leia's ship in ANH.
    Bt not much. Just with Some solo wood or something. But I don't think that should be done. But I understand why it would be done.

19. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    if it aint broke, don't fix it. :)

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    And if it is broke, then do fix it.

21. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    ok so basically:

Re-score = not needed
    Re-recording = needed

am i right?

22. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    Recording is necessary. Rescoring might be ok. I do think that some of ANH needs to be rescored with the Imp March, and I think that a hint of ATS when Luke and Leia talk about their mother sounds good. Maybe if they left most of the music for DV's death the same, I wouldn't mind Anakin's theme in ROTJ.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Up....

24. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Can I ask why? WHY must we do this? what is the point of putting PT music in the OT? Let's put Jar Jar hanging off Luke's X-Wing aright? That's a good idea, great for continuity.

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    There are many things that would not be logical to put in the OT. But if the IM, for example, is in the other five films, it would be logical to add it to ANH. You can certainly disapprove of this. You can say you like the ANH score the way it is.

Themes exclusive to the PT, like DOTF or ATS probably do not belong in OT. Jar-Jar on an X-wing doesn't work. There is little logic to do that. But you can't deny the logic of the IM in ANH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.