main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

About rescoring the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by baritonep1aya, Dec 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I'm not sure that Anakin's Theme would improve on how the IM is played when Vader dies in ROTJ.

Is there another place where a short cue might work?

Perhaps on Endor after his meeting with Luke?

How about right before Light Of The Force as Luke lights the funeral pyre?

Just thinking out loud.

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It`s fine classic,don`t mess with it,and do not put prequel music in it!

I don`t want to see any TPM music in an OT movie ever!

I`m sorry,but I`d have to say The OT music is classic,and does not need any modifications

3. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    I'm all for re-recording the OT. As others have said, the sound just doesn't match the PT (and is just plain bad in some spots). Also like others, I have a fear of re-recording some of the best music ever written for film ("Yoda and the Force", "Dark Side Beackons", "Binary Sunset," etc) - BUT, I do trust in the maestro John Williams, and if anyone on this Earth can pull it off, it's him.

I also want hints of the PT in the OT. It doesn't have to be in your face, but sime subtley in the music would be very nice. Some examples i've already read on here that I liked:

- ANH - Imperial March definitely has to make a presence. Somewhere, anywhere, it doesn't matter, but it needs to be in there for continuity.
    - ANH - Anakin's theme when Ben is talking of Anakin being "a good friend".

- ESB - Can't think of anything right now, besides it's perfect. ;)

- ROTJ - Brief statement of Anakin's Theme on the Air Bridge with Vader and Luke - Especially where Vader grips onto the railing.
    - ROTJ - Love theme from AOTC in the scene where Luke and Leia are discussing their mother is probably the best idea i've ever heard.

4. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    No, I don't think ATS has a place in the OT. Nor DOTF. The IM and Emperor's Theme are OT themes used throughout the saga. They belong in ANH and ESB. The only PT theme that I would condsider appropriate for the OT would be Anakin's Theme, as mentioned above.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah the Emperor's theme and IM are definates. Anakin's theme I would CONSIDER... but Vader's death is the only place I really think it would work.

6. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Comeon...you can't tell me that you don't want to hear at least a little bit of the theme in that spot? It could even be a couple of seconds, and barely audible - you know, something that only us music geeks would notice. :D

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    You mean a moment of ATS when Luke and Leia are talking about Padme? I disagree. It does not fit here because the subject is JUST Padme. So if there was a Padme's theme then yes it might work here, especially being there is a minute of music tracked on from Empire at the beginning of this conversation. But there isn't a Padme's theme. ATS does not fit.

8. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I don't think it fits, because Anakin's theme represents Anakin as a 9 year old, not the adult Anakin. Of course, someone could argue that Anakin never grew up mentally due to the way he acts in AOTC (''he's holding me back! it's not fair!''), but anyway ;). Better not mix up Prequel themes to the OT.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    And yet Anakin's theme was used in AOTC several times. Seems to me Anakin's theme represents Anakin.

10. batvader

Dec 23, 2002
    It did?

Well, my fault, I watched the film just two times while I listened to the score about a hundred. And his theme is only in the end credits of the CD.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah you hear it when Anakin first see's Padme again... you hear it on the balcony on Naboo when she asks about Anakin's nightmare...

And I think there's another place...

12. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    As far as Anakin's theme, what about in ROTJ or ESB when Luke is talking about going after DV?

Although, I really like the idea of the scene when luke is captured in ROTJ... I always felt that Anakin at that moment is teetering on believing Luke, and a tease of his TPM theme, or perhaps the B melody of ATS, would be a nice touch...perhaps to be cut off by the low brass IM cue when he decides to bring Luke to the Emperor.

13. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Am I the only one that thinks that when the albums are rerelesed they should rename "Darth Vader's Death" to "Anakin Skywalker's Death" since he is no longer Darth Vader?

NOTE:I am not suggesting a change in the music just in the title.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's possible.

15. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    If it was changed, I think that simply Anakin's Death would be fine.

But I think it's ok as it is. We do get the IM (DV's theme).

16. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    You know, as hard as I've come down against rescores in the past, I was watching RotJ:SE earlier today and I realized there's one place in the OT that still needs something different.

Originally we had that horriffic Ewoks song, and I was glad to see it go for the SEs. But what we got is not much better. The kind of folky thing played on flute... *shudders* I won't offer any specific suggestions as to what needs to go there, but it needs to be different. It's just such a laid-back note, too laid-back for the end of the saga. And it segues horribly into the end credits music.

I would replace the music starting after the Force theme in the funeral pyre scene. It should be something grand and building. Perhaps a review of a bunch of different themes. After all, in the subsequent scenes, we see the entire galaxy rejoicing the fall of the Empire, and then we see the heroes of the PT and the OT together at last. This would be the one place, IMO, to restate some PT scenes.

It should build to a grand finish rivalling "Throne Room" or "Augie's Great Municipal Band." After all, we've just witnessed the defeat of the Empire. (For the purposes of this discussion, I'll disregard the EU.) It should be the biggest, most triumphant moment in the saga. What we get is relaxed, easy-listening music. It's all wrong. And so I think I want JW to come up with another entirely new something for this scene. Other than that, iI still want the OT left alone, though.

-Paul

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I have to disagree emphatically. Victory Celebration is amazing and absolutely PERFECT for that moment. It now caps the entire saga instead of being a cute ewok moment to end the film. The music and the organic, primitive yet elegent sound of the recorder is perfect for the triumph of the Rebel Alliance over the mechanized Empire and the light of the Jedi over the Sith.

18. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Victory Celebration fits wonderfully there. :)

19. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I think VicCeleb is very moving and touching. It makes the fact that the SW Saga ends right there just sadder.

20. Count_Down

Count_Down Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2002
    VC is the best addition of the whole SE !!!!

21. batvader

Dec 23, 2002
    There's one thing I hate with the Victory Celebration. The ''ya ya'' children voices. Otherwise, the music itself is fantastic.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    VC is the best addition of the whole SE !!!!

I totally agree. I was so moved by the visuals and music for this new ending. I had tears in my eyes in theatres...

23. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    you know what I find strange? I didn't have tears in the theater. I had tears a year and dozens of viewings later....

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The human mind is a strange and mystical thing....

25. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    It's made up only of some cells and a bunch of electronic signals, and yet no one attack its mysteriousfulness

So why do people complain about midichlorians? I don't get it.

What that has to do with Rescoring the OT? I'll tell you! In 2324 a clone of John Williams' left ear will compose a Midichlorian Theme and put that in every second of the OT (or till then super-mega-SEs) that still will have no music.

My point is: I want the Snowspeeder Take Flight in the movie, instead of Hyperspace.
    ... wouldn't that be remixing only?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.