main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

About rescoring the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by baritonep1aya, Dec 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Caliginous

Darth_Caliginous Jedi Youngling star 2

May 7, 2004
    I, for one am definitel for including the Imperial Theme in ANH. I would not, however put it right in the beginning as Vader boards the Tantive IV

The most appropriate place for it (in my mind) would be during the Millenium Falcon's initial approach of the Death Star. ("That's no moon.... It's a space station!")

(P.S. Thanks to General Kenobi for pointing me to the right thread!)

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    See, I would hope that any additions to the score would displace a minimum amount of existing score, or better yet, none.

I love "The Death Star" and wouldn't want to see that changed.

While the IM could possibly be worked in as Vader enters the Tantive IV, I think there are some better places for it later in the blockade runner scenes. Also, some scenes inside the Death Star, most notably as the cell door slams as Vader begins to interrogate Leia.

Now, I would be interested to hear a completely new JW score, with the old Imperial Theme replaced by the IM throughout. However, I think that is highly unlikely.

3. ChimealHeltei

ChimealHeltei Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    What I would like to hear is the Imp. March mixed in the original score. I found a good part, where it would fit very well musically: Just before Vader entering the Tantive IV
    Would like to hear it? Here it is, my idea for including the Imp. March into ANH

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Michi!!!!!! :D

I agree with you completely, I tried to download the file though and got an error...

5. ChimealHeltei

Feb 13, 2001
    Hi Timo :D

Sorry, link was wrong. This one's right

6. ChimealHeltei

Feb 13, 2001
    I've done a second one with the Imp. March mixed into the part after Vader has entered the Tantive IV. Perhaps this is better, than to have it before Vader is entering...

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    That one I like!

8. ChimealHeltei

Feb 13, 2001
    Speaking of Vader's theme, I often had the idea of having Ani's theme from TPM in the death scene of Anakin.
    So, I now gave that a try. Though the file is long (nearly whole death scene) I just mixed in a small tidbit, just to hint it... so don't search for changes in the whole track, it's just a small piece.

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Vader entering the Tantive IV: I did not like the first one but the second one is GREAT!

10. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I hate to say it, but two out of those three samples are quite jarring. It sounds like you've got the Imperial March/Anakin's Theme in different keys than the music they're superimposed over.

11. ChimealHeltei

Feb 13, 2001
    Which ones? I tried to match the keys... Perhaps it sounds scary because the orchestra isn't tuned the same way in the recordings...
    Oh, the first one sounds really not good! The second one, don't know if I hit the right key... But the third...

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Just to confirm, I've just watched the start of the ANH DVD and there is no imperial march there.

Is it anywhere? I guess I'll have to watch it all!

13. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    There was no rescoring.

14. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    It does sound like there was somes weetening of the musicon ROTJ, but nothing other than that.

I'm still kinda reeling from the additions to the galactic celebration.

15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    When I watched ROTJ now, I realised how much I like the music in Yoda's death scene. It's beautiful!

16. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I still think that the Emperor's Theme should be played now during the Ian hologram in ESB -- similar to how it is in "Darth Sidious" in TPM.

17. Charth_Maul

Charth_Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2001
    I hope to God that there's no MAJOR rescoring of the OT if any at all...I could possibly tolerate a few added or rewritten cues in the appropriate places in order to tweak and finalize the overall flow of the saga to include the necessary themes and such from the PT. I wouldn't mind a bit of IM in ANH, but total "rescoring" shouldn't be done since its already a masterpiece. I think most would agree.

18. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, I wonder if there's any chance of rescoring for the "3D" versions.

Perhaps there are more folks who want to hear some rescoring (new edits?) in the prequels, specifically AOTC.

19. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Interesting thought. It would be cool if they rescored the entire saga for the 3D release, so that we would get one big, easy flowing soundtrack.
    Would JW have the time and energy to do that though? Is there anyone else who could do it in case he can't?

Rescoring - it's interesting
    /LM

20. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    It is one big flowing score, or it will be once III comes out.

I hope that getting an original score for the big battle in II would be a much higher priority than putting the IM in IV.

Is there anyone else who could do it in case he can't?

:eek: Blasphemy!! Repent! Repent! Repent!

ttbk

21. Kannigula

Kannigula Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2005
    Nooooo pleeease why change the original score?

I know that trilogy by heart, line-by-line, and it's the music that makes everything stick together in my brain.

22. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    I could tolerate a rescoring of parts of ANH, but not ESB nor ROTJ.

However, I say no Imperial march in ANH. The Imperial march is so amazing the first time we hear it in ESB.

23. crouchingjedi1

crouchingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005

Two things on this subject.

First on additions to the Anakin death scene in ROTJ:

When Anakin takes his final breath and Luke sets him down on the ramp--

CURRENT: Imperial march on a plucked on a single string instrument
    PROPOSED: Anakin's theme plucked on a single string instrument in the same mood / motif

Second--I'm not a big fan of re-scoring the whole trilogy or even anything in a single OT movie, but now that we have Imperial March in Episode II and presumably III, it seems a bit odd to have it not in Episode IV.

Imperial March Appearances?
    Episode I NO (pre-empire)
    Episode II Yes
    Episode III Yes
    Episode IV NO (??????????????????)
    Episode V Yes
    Episode VI Yes

24. TheSamuraiJedi

TheSamuraiJedi Jedi Master

Apr 5, 2005

Completely Rescore? NO

Re-record? YES

Add SMALL prequel musical cues? YES

In ANH? keep the Imperial march VERY low key, if any at all, as was said before, the grand reveal in ESB with the Imperial March is a classic. The only other part I could think of is maybe a subtle refrain of Battle/Duel of the Heros from ROTS mixed in when Obi Wan is talking, such as "a young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil.." etc etc, very very subtle there would be good.

Personally I think that a very nice and subtle hint of Across the Stars would be wonderful when Luke and Leia talk about their relation in ROTJ, particularly when Luke and Leia specifically talk about Padme "Do you remember your mother, your real mother?" "Just images really, feelings" in that part.

Another small addition would perhaps be Anakin's theme from TPM as was said right after he dies, so instead of the plucked version of the Imperial March, have a maybe a gentle claranet or Obo version of Anakins theme, maybe even plucked.

25. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    " Imperial March Appearances?
    Episode I NO (pre-empire)
    Episode II Yes
    Episode III Yes
    Episode IV NO (??????????????????)
    Episode V Yes
    Episode VI Yes "

It's in I too.

" Personally I think that a very nice and subtle hint of Across the Stars would be wonderful when Luke and Leia talk about their relation in ROTJ...

Another small addition would perhaps be Anakin's theme from TPM as was said right after he dies... "

I don't get it, how would these improve those moments? Strilo edit: Removed possible spoilers

I think I've beat the dead horse about TIM in ANH...

:)

Edit: Okay, a thought: I could see a statement of Anakin's theme working at the end of ROTJ when his Force ghost appears, juxtaposed with a choral rendition of the Force theme as the saga ends with some thematic material instead of "Victory Celebration" (which I realize I'm in the minority in not liking)

ttbk
    *That's what it says on the back of my CD case, and I'm sticking to it. 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.