main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

About rescoring the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by baritonep1aya, Dec 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Rescore the Trilogy-NO!
    Re-Record the Trilogy-NO!

GK edit: No flaming.

2. Binkley71

Binkley71 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    The Episode IV duel (Vader/Ben) should definitely be re-scored. The lack of music worked from a dramatic perspective when we didn't really know details of the backstory between Anakin and Obi-Wan, but now that we have the PT, it's critical for us to hear a familiar musical theme when the two meet again.

I also like the idea of "Across The Stars" to be heard when Luke and Leia reference Amidala in ROTJ, and to hear Anakin's theme upon his death and when his force ghost appears at the end.

3. PlayAtari2600

PlayAtari2600 Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    The films really don't need to be rescored very much.

I would have to say that I would definitley add a very, very subtle reference to "Across the Stars" when Anakin and Leia discuss their parents in ROTJ.

Also, I would throw in a quick "Battle of the Heroes" reprise during the Vader/Obi-Wan fight in Episode IV.

Another thing I would add in Episode IV is the "Imperial March", since that is noticeably missing.

4. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    The Episode IV duel (Vader/Ben) should definitely be re-scored. The lack of music worked from a dramatic perspective when we didn't really know details of the backstory between Anakin and Obi-Wan, but now that we have the PT, it's critical for us to hear a familiar musical theme when the two meet again.

Still sounds good to me... you underestimate the drama of silence. Besides, the Obi-Wan/Vader duel in Episode III is the farthest thing possible from the one in Episode IV. "Battle of the Heroes," I just can't conceive it fitting the Episode IV duel. It's so fast-paced.

5. Wampas_Have_Dandruff

Wampas_Have_Dandruff Jedi Master star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    If they're going to rescore any parts of the OT, it's already done and in the can. Think about it. John Williams has been writing new music for the OT for a long time (as he has hinted about in previous interviews), but hadn't actually finalized anything yet. That had to wait until the ROTS score was finished, so he could make sure the whole saga tied together. That's why the 2004 DVDs didn't have any new music.....he wanted to wait and get it all done right, all at once.

If any new music is to be included in any future Star Wars release, it was recorded during the scoring session for ROTS. I can't see them coming back later to pick up a few cues here and there.

6. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    changes i would make to the second trilogy score:

episode 4 needs imperial march. perhaps just after the credits, as the star destroyer is flying overhead. or the first time they show the death star. or both.

anakin's theme could be put into the scene where obi-wan tells luke about anakin

the only way to change the score to the death star duel is to enhance the duel it'sself, by fimling parts and editing them in. then a slower version of battle of heroes could be worked in.

the only change i'd make to episode 5 is adding in an edit of duel of the fates into the bespin duel. and maybe some emperor's theme during the scene with sidious.

episode 6 could have some across the stars or anakkin's theme when luke is talking with leia.

but i'm generally appy with the existing score

7. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    JW's been talking about this for years. I hope he does it but w/out altering the existing cues, only "fixing" the edits.

I'm not a huge fan of the audio quality of the EIV film score - it's pretty flat & tinny sounding.

Alterations I would welcome:

Fresh recording for the climax of TPM so that it matches the images on screen.

Original score for the 2nd half of AOTC.

Vader Theme when Vader enters in ANH.

*Slightest wisp* of Anakin's Theme from TPM when Obi tells Luke about his father - one of the few persistent fan requests I think would work if done very carefully.

Fresh score for entering Mos Eisly + Jabba & Han.

When Obi & Vader light their sabers - those big suspended chords that kick off Duel of The Fates - that's all - and when Obi sacrifices himself, a *single* statement of the EIII duel theme & nothing more.

That's it besides re-recording the original score made to fit the new edits. But I'd prefer no new additions @ all to the OT unless there are for actual *new* scenes.

Please god let it be done! Maybe for the 6 disc box set with CG Yoda in TPM, perhaps? I'd buy that@!!!

8. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    " When Obi & Vader light their sabers - those big suspended chords that kick off Duel of The Fates - that's all - and when Obi sacrifices himself, a *single* statement of the EIII duel theme & nothing more.
    "

But it has nothing to do with DotF, and how is the EIII theme more fitting than Obi-Wan's (The Force) theme?

ttbk

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I'm not a huge fan of the audio quality of the EIV film score - it's pretty flat & tinny sounding.

All three of them sound terrible. Re-record them all, unless remixing capabilities can make them sound as good as the E.T. 20th CD.

Alterations I would welcome:

Fresh recording for the climax of TPM so that it matches the images on screen.

Absolutely.

Original score for the 2nd half of AOTC.

I assume you mean the 11 minutes of TPM music. I agree with this 100%

Vader Theme when Vader enters in ANH.

I also like this.

*Slightest wisp* of Anakin's Theme from TPM when Obi tells Luke about his father - one of the few persistent fan requests I think would work if done very carefully.

Could work, I would be willing to give it a shot.

Fresh score for entering Mos Eisly + Jabba & Han.

Yes definately.

When Obi & Vader light their sabers - those big suspended chords that kick off Duel of The Fates - that's all - and when Obi sacrifices himself, a *single* statement of the EIII duel theme & nothing more.

Absolutely not. The duel is either fine as is or IF there is music added it needs to be quiet and ominous, not bombastic and choral. Oh and the beginning of Ben's Death and the TIE Fighter Attack is perfect. Don't change a note.

10. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i do think they should film more fight moves to the episode 4 duel, to improve the fight it's self, and add a slower, subtler version of battle of heroes over it.

as for the episode 5 duel, it's fine as it is, nothing should be added to the fight it's self, but the score is a little lacking. actually, it's not there. i made a video of the episode 5 duel with duel of the fates properly mixed in, and once i get it online, i'll post it.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    No leave the duels alone. They are fine.

12. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    no they're not. the duel it's self in 4 is simply bad, one of the worst sword fights i've seen in a movie. and the muic in that one and the fight in 5 are nonexistent. but i've made a video showing that music, prequel music too, works very well in the duel in 5.

13. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    Oh my gosh.

The score for the duel in Empire is lacking? And it needs DotF?

:eek:

ttbk

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yah I think I want some of the crack Neo is smoking... :p

15. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    not lacking. nonexistent. there is no score over the maority of the duel. and in spite of the strange hate most star wars fans seem to have for duel of the fates, it fits very well. even with my feeble editing skills, it fits. it enhances the mood and tension of the fight. and it makes the catwalk battle seem far more epic and important to the story.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I much prefer the dark and moody feel the duel in TESB has now. And what the hell? DOTF is one of the most popular SW themes on these forums!

17. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    "I much prefer the dark and moody feel the duel in TESB has now."

it doesn't have a dark moody feel to it, that's the problem. aside from "the clash off lightsabres" when vader is force throwing stuff (i've left that as it is, by the way), there is no music whatsoever in the duel.

"And what the hell? DOTF is one of the most popular SW themes on these forums!"

only when used as it was in episode one. when it's used in fanfilms, when it was used in episode 2, and when someone proposes it for the original trilogy, people hate it. people like DOTF only in the context of the darth maul duel, or on it's own.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    it doesn't have a dark moody feel to it, that's the problem. aside from "the clash off lightsabres" when vader is force throwing stuff (i've left that as it is, by the way), there is no music whatsoever in the duel.

Sometimes the LACK of music does more for the mood than having music. I feel this scene works better without the music. And I think it IS dark and moody the way it is. DOTF is too playful for this.

As for it's use in AOTC, I have not seen many comments that it doesn't work in AOTC. Most people seem to like it. As for using it in the OT, it doesn't fit. The scale and scope of it is too "big" for the OT. The duels are not big and flashing and epic. They are intense, emotional and personal. They are not a Jedi Order opposing a Sith Order. They are Father and Son. Personal. DOTF just doesn't work for that. I love it but no.

19. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I wouldn't change anything in the ESB duel, but I think a touch of BotH right before the ANH duel would be intersting. Perhaps a softer, sadder statement.

20. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    "The scale and scope of it is too "big" for the OT. The duels are not big and flashing and epic. They are intense, emotional and personal."

and the music can fit that. it fit the yavin duel in clone wars, and it fits here. i should have the videos up soon, you'll see what i mean.

"They are not a Jedi Order opposing a Sith Order. They are Father and Son."

not in 5. luke doesn't know it in 5, he's trying to kill the sith who murdered his father, as he understands it.

21. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    as for the episode 5 duel, it's fine as it is, nothing should be added to the fight it's self, but the score is a little lacking. actually, it's not there. i made a video of the episode 5 duel with duel of the fates properly mixed in, and once i get it online, i'll post it.

There was music for all of the duel, but it was (wisely) cut from the movie. I really love it (end of ESB CD2 T9, "Departure of Boba Fett"), especially that rising chord progression following Vader's Theme, and the Force Theme after it, but the music is just too heroic and upbeat for the duel. But mixing in "Duel of the Fates" won't help... man... that's not even close to the mood of it.

22. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    duel of the fates fits perfectly. it represents the tension at the beginning, the buildup in the middle, vader's rage near the end, and the desperation at the end.

23. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I don't think DotF fits the ESB duel. Really, I think the only place that it might fit in the OT is somewhere in the DSII throne room scenes -- and we already have "The Dark Side Beckons".

24. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i don't see it fitting that duel at all.

edit: okay's let's see if this worked

i don't know what i'm doing, so don't be suprised if it doesn't work at all

GK edit: What you are trying to do violates Angelfire's TOS, and the JC's as well. Do not post links to copyrighted music files.

25. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Neo...I've said it before, I'll say it again: You just don't get it. This one of the shallowest things I've ever seen.

Silence speaks louder in this case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.