About rescoring the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by baritonep1aya, Dec 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. neo_mp5 Jedi Master

star 4
    i suppose you'd say the same about the missing lightsabre sound i added back in.

traditionalist.
  2. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The OT doesn't need to be rescored.

Re-recorded....? Yes.
  3. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    All they need is a little remastering. The performances of the London Symphony Orchestra are excellent. Compare the recycled music in Sith to the original performances in Star Wars. The originals sound better, especially the end credits.
  4. neo_mp5 Jedi Master

star 4
    i always preferred the end credit music from episode 4.
  5. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Remastering only takes you so far. Didn't they remaster ROTJ? I may be mistaken, though. But ROTJ was downright awful sounding. I'd like to hear what the OT music sounds like with PT quality. I'd prefer the original recordings, too, just cleaned up. Anytime you have a re-recording things inevitably get changed, and I don't want that, but we really need something a little...cleaner.
  6. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    You're right, Jedi sounds awful, but the irony is that the PREVIOUS release of it, on the Anthology sounded much better. By the way, this is only Disc 2... the sound quality on Disc 1 of Jedi is great. Don't take one bad example of remastering and assume it is representative of the entire process.
  7. neo_mp5 Jedi Master

star 4
    what would you think of having alternate scores as a dvd option? if you had the original score as one choice, an updated score (IM in 4, DOTF in 5, BOH in 4, or whatever) as another option, and the choice to turn both off?
  8. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I've been thinking about the "Ben's Death" cue in ANH. Many people wonder why Leia's Theme is used in that cue...

What about using Qui-Gon's Theme for that cue -- a very similar orchestration? I think it would give the same kind of feeling, but with the added tie-in to Obi-Wan's training between ROTS and ANH.
  9. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm trying to imagine Qui-Gon's theme in that cue. It's not doing the trick for me. Leia's theme was wonderful - sure, it wasn't the most relevant theme, but it was a nice way of finishing off the theme (remember that it's the last statement of Leia's theme in the film, sans end titles). Without "Ben's Death," the last treatment of Leia's theme would have been that short, flirty quote in "Detention Block Ambush."
  10. ANAKINSKYWEEZER Force Ghost

star 3
    I'd say add the Order 66 music ("Anakin's Betrayal") when Obi-Wan is killed. So with Kenobi dead, it would seem that the last of the Jedi (until we see Yoda in ESB) is dead, and thus everything comes full circle. Plus, it would just sound very sad IMO.
  11. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    But it's just a brief statement until we get to "Run, Luke, run!", and I don't think the "Lament" from the Order 66 scenes would really fit there time-wise.
  12. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Knight

star 3
    Leia's theme is perfect there.:)

That said, I can sorta hear Qui-Gon's theme there. Of course, I could go with Qui-Gon's theme being just about anywhere.[face_love]

I'll keep that in mind next time I watch the film.

"Lament"? No, I don't think so....

ttbk
  13. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    You do have a point there with the tie-in, since Qui-Gon is how he learned to become one with The Force, anyway. So because of that, I can very well see it in there. Of course it may not be as much of an "Oh no!" moment music-wise, but more of a goosebumps moment.
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I've never understood why Leia's theme is used there. Sure it works but I think other things would work better.

15. skyy38 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    From Star Wars Special Edition Soundtrack Liner Notes.

"Interestingly,Williams uses Princess Leia's Theme at the moment Ben vanishes,deferring to the purely musical effectiveness of the sweeping melody over any apparent thematic relevance,although the theme does reinforce the connection between the Princess and the old Jedi suggested by her holographic message"

So there's your intellectual explanation.
    But the emotional reason was as clear as a bell the very first time I saw "Star Wars".
  16. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I knew this would come up again, but I'm surprised it took so long.
  17. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been listening to the Musical Journey DVD... wow, it's great. If only all the OT music could be remastered to sound like this. Too bad the sound effects screw up most of the videos.

I still don't think there should be any rescoring, of course.
  18. nisomer Jedi Knight

star 1
    what about for the parts in AOTC and ROTS when they use reused music?
  19. nisomer Jedi Knight

star 1
    I know this is a little old, but I just want to remind everyone that GL has asked Williams to rescore parts of the Saga...

"I am thrilled to have the chance to go back to something I composed in 1977 and be able to make the entire saga continuous theme-wise. Notably absent in the first movie is the Imperial March. Being able to insert that theme in the first movie will create a much stronger emotional flow throughout the Saga." "After the release of Episode III George will enhance the original trilogy with additional scenes and special effects, adding my adjustments to the score this will seamlesly branch the entire Star Wars Saga into one massive romantic space opera. I think something of this magnitude has never been done before."
  20. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I am not sure how I missed this back when it was posted, but... where is that quote from? Can you cite that source?
  21. nisomer Jedi Knight

star 1
    oh god, it was somewhere on jwfan.net ...he said it back around the time between ep2 and 3. ill try and see if i can find the link.

found it http://jwfan.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=27
  22. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I think I knew about that vaguely somewhere in the mists of my memory. I still think that now that the films are (largely) done, Lucas should hire Williams to go back and iron out all the edits and tracking that covered last minute changes. They should smooth out the edges of this stuff and make the definitive version of the Saga scores.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.