main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion About the age thing...best reference is Star Trek

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Guybrush, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    A good example would be Star Trek the undiscovered country. It was filmed in 1990 and released in 1991.

At the time of filming, the three main leads William Shatner, Deforest Kelley, and Lenard Nimoy were 60,71,60.

Ford will be 71 when filming starts next year,Fisher will be 57, and Hamill will be 62.

So it can be done...will they be in all three? If so the final movie will be in 2019 or 2020....Ford will be 76 or 77 years old.

2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I think only Luke lasts through all 3, and he is likely a force ghost for the better part of the trilogy.

3. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    You might be right about that

4. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    It's possible, but a kinda hope not. I loved the scene in RotJ with a young Anakin ghost, but I think having a force ghost as main character is a silly idea.

5. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    i dont think they will have key roles and action roles. More of a leader ship part.

6. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Where do you get that notion?

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't think there should be Force ghosts, or that they should remain more like mystical apparitions. Luke hearing Ben's voice in ANH was fine, as was Obi-Wan telling Luke to seek out Yoda and then promptly vanishing. But when Obi-Wan's ghost can sit down on a log and chat things out with Luke I thought that was a bit much. That death was given no meaning. And I hope that if Luke dies that Yoda, Luke, and Obi-Wan can't just sit around chatting with the hero like they are still alive. IMO any sort of beyond-the-grave help should be more like Obi-Wan in ANH and be an infrequent word of wisdom when the hero needs it most. I'd actually prefer not to see Yoda or Obi-Wan as ghosts at all. Just Luke - if he dies. Qui-Gon helped Yoda and Obi-Wan, but didn't talk to Luke at all - which would have been awkward since Luke would have no idea who he is. I would think that Obi-Wan and Yoda helping Luke's students would just be weird too, and I'd like to see Luke on his own establishing the New Jedi Order, not sitting there taking pointers from ghost Yoda and ghost Ben on how to be a Jedi Master.

8. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    There is quite a bit of ageism on this forum.

I don't see what the problem is actors getting older and a bit wrinkly.

And in regards to action roles, I know quite a few old timers in my town more than capable of taking a young pups name.

TreborSabreon and krtmd like this.
  9. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    I don't think it's the age (or the wrinkles)....it's can they jump back into these characters again and not have them feel more like caricatures of Han, Luke,Leia. Can you go back after so much time has passed and jump right back into a roll? Some have done fine, other attempts have not been so successful.

In my opinion, Karen Allen in Indiana Jones is one that made Marion feel more like a caricature then a real individual in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. In Radiers, her character felt very real. In the last one, she felt like a cartoon of her old self. Again, just my opinion.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Actually, I think it's Hollywood and not this forum that's ageist (particularly with women).

Garth Maul likes this.
  11. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Sorry, Dark Lady, it is this forum. There is plenty of it too. Just take a look.

12. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Can you back up that statement?

13. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    For me the appearance of Karen Allen was the only redeeming quality of that movie. I was very disappointed that she didn't come back as Indy's love interest in the second film.

I do agree that she was not the edgy and hotheaded woman from the first movie, but if she had remained the hard drinking woman from EP1 she probably wouldn't have lived to see KotCS. Two decades and a child to care for will mellow a person. I think she played the part of a mother fairly well. I also hope that is the last Indiana Jones movie.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm not super psyched about the big three returning, I'm more interested in new characters. If the big three do return, I'd probably prefer them to be recast, but I'm not going to go on strike if the original cast returns.

My enthusiasm will depend on what condition they show up in.

The problem with Carrie Fisher is that in ROTJ she was a wet dream and the last time I saw her she was a total train wreck. I don't want my slave Leia boner ruined by a depressing appearance in the ST. She's also a tad bit insane and has substance abuse problems, but that was true during the filming of the OT, too.

I don't have anything against Carrie Fisher, I've seen her Wishful Drinking stage show and she's quite funny, I'm just not interested in her reprising the role in her current condition. Ten or fifteen years ago I would have been on board, as she actually aged well up to that point.

Nichelle Nichols, on the other hand, aged remarkably well during her appearances in the films.

If Mark Hamill can get himself in decent shape, I'd be fine with him coming back to fulfill a small mentor role.

Han Solo as a character didn't have much going for him in ROTJ, I'm not really interested in him coming back for more of the same. Harrison Ford seems to be going senile, but if he can pull himself together long enough to flash a Solo smile and then run to his death, that would be fine.

I laugh when people ask "what's wrong with Carrie Fisher?", as if they didn't know the answer. It may be harsh, but it's a movie and I want to be entertained, not reminded of what the ravages of time can do to iconic sex symbols. I'd have no problem with someone feeling the same way about Mark and Harrison and their looks.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    True but it depends what they're doing. If they're "passing the torch" and don't have the main roles, I think it would be fine.

Otherwise, if they are going to be the focus, not sure how they're going to top Wrath of Khan for exploring aging.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd rather that neither the Big Three characters nor their actors return at all; I'd much rather see a time frame of a century or so post-ROTJ with new Jedi. Show the state of the Order after Luke rebuilt it.

I don't know whether Mark, Harrison or Carrie could reprise their roles or not; to me that isn't really the point. One issue I have with the post-ROTJ EU is that Luke, Han and Leia remain the main characters (with Han and Leia having really crappy parenting experiences) when new characters really need to take over.

I'm sensitive enough to ageism (I'm 40), but I don't see this as ageism, more along the lines of "How many stories can we write about the same people having similar adventures?"

QuangoFett likes this.
  17. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It's called a prediction... I assume you know what that is? ;)

18. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of the eleventh Star Trek film, where the main characters were recast (quite successfully) with younger actors.

The idea of the established characters hogging screentime that should be dominated by a third generation of SW heroes is off-putting, possibly to the point of putting me off from seeing the films if this is what's going to be in it. This goes for younger actors playing the OT characters as well. The SWST needs a fresh approach, IMO.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I care not for how old actors are if they can deliver, just alter their roles to suit their advanced years.

Not everyone can age as well as Sean Connery.

Plebeian likes this.
  20. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Jeff Bridges in TRON: Legacy, 2010. Played two parts. Digitally de-aged.
    [​IMG]

jps78 likes this.
  21. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    He is also an award winning actor still at the top of his game.

If they return...it either works or it doesn't. The fans will let the world know when they walk out of the theater opening night.
    Disney is smart enough not to risk 4 billion on a gamble, if the original cast is in the film. Disney feels comfortable they can deliver or as many have said, they are there to be the mentors in Greek myth ready to pass the torch to the next generation.

22. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That's awful and what's worse is I am laughing my butt off while reading it. Well, I have to admit Mark Hamill is not the same handsome man that I once had a crush on as a teenager. To the fangirls, Luke on Dagobah all sweaty and wearing that green wife-beater T-shirt was pretty hot.

If he shows up in EP7 he can stick to the bulky Jedi robes. o_O

23. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    When I was younger I have to admit that I loved my star wars books from ROTJ with pictures , alot... Then I got my own computer...

24. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Fair enough, but the way you stated it was as though it was a fact.

25. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I hope you remember this trash you typed when you hit 60.

And I truly hope you never have to experience the horror of mental illness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.