About this new Communications policy....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth Dark Helmet, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I have absolutely no idea, but it is their duty being Admins.
  2. Spiderdevil Jedi Master

star 4
    As I said before, it is the duty of every Admin and Staff member to come in here on a regular basis and contribute.

I'm going to continue my Devil's Advocate routine for a second here. Mod duties aside, wouldn't the fact that most Mods don't visit Communications mean that an official Communications Mod is needed? The way I see it, one of two things has to happen:

1. Mods must be required to visit Communications once a day or so.

2. An official Communications Mod should be appointed.
  3. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    No, what is needed is for people to do their jobs. Your solution, as Vertical pointed out, will make this scenario worse, not better. Having one moderator for Communications limits the amount of true communication that can go on here; hampering the general point of this forum. If you want me to speed up the result that your solution will provide, I can go ahead and remove this forum from existance.
  4. Spiderdevil Jedi Master

star 4
    Geez, you don't have to react so harshly. I'm just trying to make a point and offer a suggestion or two.

If what I suggest won't work, fine. Tell me. Just don't treat me like an idiot.
  5. keokiswahine Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *gets hit by PBoy's oregano, crawls back in cave*
  6. Vertical Former Head Admin

star 6
    I think the point PB and I are trying to get across is that *every* mod is dedicated to this forum, technically. If we changed it to just ONE dedicated mod, you'd see FAR less participation in here.

Again, the way it is now, every mod is dedicated here. Supposedly. Your solution drops the number from "all" to 1. It's counter-productive to what we want to accomplish, which is a communications forum that is visited and used by at least 90% of the mods.

Vertical
  7. Spiderdevil Jedi Master

star 4
    I never meant that other mods should ignore this forum altogether. Apparently, there's enough of that as it is.

It's counter-productive to what we want to accomplish, which is a communications forum that is visited and used by at least 90% of the mods.

When this forum is avoided by so many of the mods, how do you plan on accomplishing this? I appear to have the wrong idea of what your goals are.
  8. Vertical Former Head Admin

star 6
    Well, locking all dead threads and chat threads was the first step, to make it easier for mods to come in here and identify which threads needed attention. That's what this thread is all about.

Vertical
  9. Spiderdevil Jedi Master

star 4
    On that note, I have a suggestion. Unless it appears that a thread may need re-opened, or if it's a topic worth saving for future reference, why not delete some of these locked threads? It would certainly clean things up and make the forum easier to navigate.
  10. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    It wouldn't do anything, since there are 15 pages of threads in this forum. You're asking us to go through and delete all of them? Nooooo thank you.

Sorry if you're offended by my harsh attitude. I know I come off as treating people like idiots, all too well. Just take it as me being frustrated by the current situation, and being even more frustrated when I get 20 questions about it.
  11. Spiderdevil Jedi Master

star 4
    I understand it would be quite a chore to undertake. Hopefully, when I get my index thread up and running, that will help navigation in this forum.

Sorry if you're offended by my harsh attitude. I know I come off as treating people like idiots, all too well. Just take it as me being frustrated by the current situation, and being even more frustrated when I get 20 questions about it.

I have no doubt that you folks (mods) take a lot of crap that the rest of us don't know about. And I'll admit that I kept pushing that issue until you and Vertical were probably sick of hearing about it.
  12. Vertical Former Head Admin

star 6
    I'm happy to explain it until everyone understands what we're going for. That's not a problem.

Vertical
  13. Spiderdevil Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, as long as it wasn't a problem. Upon reflection, I thought it seemed like I was kicking a dead horse.
  14. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    No, you were doing fine, it would have been a lot better to have all the 20 questions in one post, instead of every time I added a reply. Saves time, no? :p ;)
  15. Spiderdevil Jedi Master

star 4
    Indeed it does. Problem is, each reply tended to spark a new question. You see my predicament? ;)
  16. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Then maybe a pardon is in order for my assiness.
  17. Spiderdevil Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, don't worry about it. All is well in the land of Oz.
  18. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    here is a question for those who advocate a single communications mod: what if you do not get along with that said mod, or their mode of action? it would suck if people did not feel comfortable posting their queries, opinions and dirty pictures here just because they have a feud running with the relevant mod
  19. Spiderdevil Jedi Master

star 4
    what if you do not get along with that said mod, or their mode of action?

Good point. Having this place visited by all the mods (in theory if not in practice) means that you avoid that sort of conflict.
  20. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    By the way, what exactly is the new communications policy? Over 140 posts and I have no idea. And whatever the change is, is it so bad as to warrant such a response? I feel that most changes don't affect members who follow the rules, post in the appropriate forums, and treat others with respect.
  21. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Basically if a thread is no longer functioning as a thread based on an issue to do with the boards, and becomes a chat, it will be locked.

As for mods visiting here, I have always, and still do try to all the time, but it doesn't look like it due to the times at which I now access the JC, or a lack of knowledge in the area in question. But more mods are visiting, and hopefully that will become more apparent.
  22. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    As far as that being a new policy, this seems to have always been the way threads have been handled. If a thread gets out of hand or way off topic in the SA, Padme Bra takes care of it. So it's funny to me as to how this has been referred to as a new policy and that so many people are up in arms about it. I think it's a good thing.
  23. Spiderdevil Jedi Master

star 4
    The discussion originated because some people felt that the threads were being locked too quickly, before all useful input was added.

Someone raised the question of "What happens when a question has been answered, but someone else arrives with a better answer than the one alredy given, only to find the thread locked? What happens then?"

This thread isn't about a new policy so much as a rehashing of an old one.
  24. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I've already given that answer a few times, and I am really getting tired of repeating myself.
    :mad:
  25. Spiderdevil Jedi Master

star 4
    But you didn't have to repeat yourself. I did it for you. :)
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.