main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

About Time Zones

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Coruscant, Mar 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Why are people not allowed to specify their time zone? I post at several other boards and specifying your time zone is allowed just fine.

Is it because the snowboards or snowball.com doesn't allow it or something? :confused:

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It wasn't built into the board code.

For a long time, the system clock was way off. People were amazed when it was finally fixed.

3. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Couldn't zerosleep or someone like him fix the board code so time zone selection would be available? :confused: Selective time zones would really be helpful to fledgling newbies. :)

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'd say it's pretty far down on the list of things that could use fixing or adding.

5. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I'd say it's pretty far down on the list of things that could use fixing or adding.

What things are on top? [face_mischief]

IMO, I don't know why selective time zones wouldn't be on the top of that list. I've known some people who are really turned off by forums that don't have a matching time zone to their own. People I met on other forums and communicate with regularly on IM. I once showed a person to the JC and she thought she just couldn't get used to it because there was only the Pacific Time Zone.

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    What things are on top?

Bugs, security issues, other things that are necessary for better board functioning. I think time zone issues are relatively cosmetic on a system with as many lingering problems as snowboards.

7. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    IMO, I don't know why selective time zones wouldn't be on the top of that list. I've known some people who are really turned off by forums that don't have a matching time zone to their own. People I met on other forums and communicate with regularly on IM. I once showed a person to the JC and she thought she just couldn't get used to it because there was only the Pacific Time Zone

Yes, that's much more important then making sure everyone can stay logged in.

8. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    So are these bugs and stuff always having to be fixed daily? Are they a usual thing? :confused: The boards seem pretty fine to me....I guess zerosleep does his job well. 8-}

EDIT: Hey Darth Dark Helment, I have an idea...how about supplying me with info that will convince me that bugs and stuff are much more important to deal with rather than sarcasm? :)

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Okay. Its a time zone, it involves simple addition or subtraction on your part. And what's more, your computer has a clock on it. You don't need the JC to know what time it is. I know I don't. When I want to know the time, I'll look at my watch.

So why should Zerosleep waste time trying to fix that over trying to fix some of the bugs that still make it possible for people to hack the Modsquad? Why should he drop down, keeping everyone logged in all the time, to work on a petty little, cosmetic issue? Why should he stop working to make sure thay we don't get error messages with every post late at night, so you can know what time it is in Zimbabwae? The answer is, he shouldn't. All those things are more important to the day to day operation and continued operation of these boards. The clock means nothing.

10. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    I like the time zone, I happen to be in the Pacific. :D

11. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Okay. Didn't know it was such a "cosmetic" issue.

BTW, I live in pacific time (board time). I'm just being a man for others.

12. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    I'm just being a man for others.

?[face_plain]

13. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I'm just being a man for others.

It's the motto of the high school I attend. It's being Christian, helping others, doing things for others...a life with the purpose of standing for others, not yourself. ;)

I could really go in further detail with explaining the phrase...gotta get out of my planner.

14. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Well, I feel ya, but I really don't think this is something a fuss needs to be made over.

15. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I think Dark Helmet pretty much nailed it with the security issues.

I mean, I don't live in the Pacific time zone, and I manage fine. I know plenty of Aussies and people from other random time zones (such as Malaysia and Korea) that seem to function just fine.

The fact is that it really doesn't matter. You still post, no matter what time the board says it is.

Its also kinda nice that its the same for everyone. That way, you can say "Such and such game ends at ___ board time" to prevent confusion.

16. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    DDH, drop the sarcasm. The guy was only asking a question for God's sake!

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The only time board time is off-normal for me is this week. We in the UK are 8 hours ahead of board time, so we just add 8 to the time. However, our clocks went ahead at 2am and the US hasn't gone ahead yet so for this week we are 9 hours ahead of board time. I was on for awhile this morning wondering why things were so dead til I remembered the extra hour.

18. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    If you want the world to know what your real life time is, just include it at the end of your posty. sort of a "signature block". like this. 6:26 AM, Hawaiian Standard Time, Sunday, 28 March 2004, which is 2 hours behind board time.

19. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    It's not like the security issues/bugs ever get fixed. All zerosleep seems to be doing is fixing broken links and re-naming stuff, and the users on this forum go "yay, zerosleep, thank you for dedicating all your precious time to fixing the JC, what would we ever do without you?". Maybe if you encrypted the passwords in the database these 'bugs' and 'security issues' would get fixed.

And then, there's the security/tech admin. who e-mails IGN whenever there's a problem. Good stuff.

20. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    zerosleep works for IGN/Snowball, not TFN/JC/FF. He is limited as to what he can do for us, is my understanding from previous threads.

21. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    zerosleep does work for IGN. All of IGN, meaning that he doesn't just exclusively work on fixing up things for the IGNBoards software, but a lot of tech stuff for their entire site and affiliates.

And as an FYI, there are at least 3 different versions of IGNBoards that are currently running, all with some degrees of variance between them. It's not like he has the easiest task, nor does all the factors affecting things purely come from a code stand-point.

22. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    I think we're doing fine for a free board. I understand, from other boards and other threads/posties, that we could get the mercedes level of board operation if we bought those services, so for $20.00 a user times 136,000 users (what is our membership number now??) would give us all a gold plated or solid silver one...... In the meantime, for a freebee, what we have is great. :) :D

23. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I remember back when the boards had their own time zone. I'd forgetten it was fixed until KW mentioned it. I never even look at the times anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing the time in the CST, but I can live without.

24. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I wouldn't mind seeing the time in the CST, but I can live without.

I agree. I like on other boards that I can specify my timezone. But it really doesn't make that much of a difference and I understand that it isn't a top issue.

25. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I live in PST so everything's super great for me :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.