main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Abrams and CGI

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Grand_Moff_Jawa, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Say goodbye to the point! Wave bye bye. everybody! Time for Jar Jar pics and broad generalizations!

2. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Well yeah, because he literally filmed Zachary Quinto in front of a volcano for Into Darkness.

I'd post the pic of the actor standing on the completely green stage to enhance the snark, but I'm sure its still in spoilery territory.

FRAGWAGON, Darth Chiznuk and Samnz like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    All special effects should be real and all deaths should be real. None of this CGI stuff.

4. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    We know you are a PT defender. That's fine. But it doesn't invalidate any of the other opinions being voiced here. Yes, JJ will undoubtedly use CGI for instances like you mentioned, such as a volcano scene. Common sense dictates that much. But I agree that the days of giddiness when CGI was really booming are dwindling. The Ooh, Ahh factor is getting old. Let's face it, we've seen it all now. 3D is trying to breathe life into movies, but there isn't a CGI shot out there that hasn't been done before. It's time to focus on the meat and potatoes. STORY.

vinsanity and Vale Man like this.
  5. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    How so? Weta makes good CG characters but at times their compositing has been crap. For example the brontosaurus stampede in King Kong. Horrible horrible compositing.

vinsanity and LawJedi like this.
  6. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Story is a strawman in this argument. If you didn't like the story in the PT, it wasn't because the green screen effects dragged the story into the alley, beat it with a baseball bat, and then curbed it. Yes, the audience's ability to buy the effects is relevant to the success of a story on a basic level, but the flaws in AOTC's script or Hayden's acting are a completely different subject.

Generically comparing the PT v OT doesn't address the natural evolution of technology and filmmaking since 83. Let's face it, LOTR and Abrams Trek didn't use the same tools and methods as the OT, but they're generally considered successful FX movies (I think WETA's a joke, but that's another story). And I'm pretty sure that Chris Hemsworth Thor wasn't on the back of that giant flying alien whale thing in Avengers, and Sam Worthington never visited Pandora.

But there's a more engaging conversation to be had when we're not framing a conversation around "omg jar jar and cgi sux!!!!11" and instead acknowledge was Lucas was trying to achieve, what tools he was actually using, and where they succeeded or failed. While being honest about how many of those tools are actually being used by other filmmakers, without audience complaints. And part of that conversation includes admitting that some shots from the PT that were actually miniatures are perhaps less realistic looking that fully CG shots in later movies like Trek.

Also that Budweiser engineering room was ridiculous.

Ingram_I and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Has everyone completely forgotten how well JJ utilized makeup, masks, and CG on Star Trek?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He used CG when makeup or cotumes couldn't be used practically but he still embraced masks and makeup more than most modern blockbusters not named LOTR. He clearly feels that it's better to film actual matter wherever possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    Will Mr Quinto be exchanging dialogue with said Volcano? The person you are quoting said Abrams will use practical effects when he can.

9. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    That picture is going to give me nightmares...

LawJedi likes this.
  10. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Which is why when the movie first came out people were surprised when it was revealed that all the Clone Troopers were CGI. But now that everybody knows it's CGI they use them to explain why the CG is so bad in those movies. Life is funny that way.

Also, I think someone else here already mentioned it but I think Lucas was talking specifically about putting Temeura Morrison's head on a CG clonetrooper body. Not the full CG Clone Trooper models.

re: Lord of the Rings with extras and armor - WETA doesn't have (as far as I know) the personnel to hand-animate everything like ILM does, and that's why they invented their Massive system. It works for Lord of the Rings because they want all the orcs and trolls to each look slightly different from each other. But ILM has homogeneous Clone Trooper models. Not really necessary to make a bunch of armor and put people in it and then extrapolate a huge army. Kind of a waste of time. Also, armor and extras wouldn't work for all the Battle Droids in the films or the Gungans or Geonosians for that matter. So you're comparing apples and oranges really.

Darth Schlotkin and LawJedi like this.
  11. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Well I don't want to spoil it for you. [face_shhh]

12. Vale Man

Jan 24, 2013
    That will be some red hot and weird dialogue!

13. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    *sigh*

The PT was sleek and futuristic because it was a time of galactic peace. The Republic had been developing technology and prospering without war or crisis for two or three thousand years. Of course the galaxy would look sleek and futuristic. The OT is a time of galactic unrest. The galaxy is at war, the Empire has a stranglehold on nearly every star system in the galaxy. Crime is rampant. The Rebellion have to use ships that are old and retrofitted piles of scrap. That's why everything looks dingy and gritty.

It's like some of you don't read the opening crawls or something.

14. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Well Quinto's not realy my type, but you're not alone. A lot of people are into him. ;)

15. Vale Man

Jan 24, 2013
    I haven't heard anyone argrue against GGI used in this manner. It's the overuse of CGI and substandard CGI, most seen to have trouble with.

vinsanity likes this.
  16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    1. fake
    2. good
    3. really fake
    4. I don't think it's the makeup he utilized in that shot.
    5. fake
    6. good
    7. fake
    8. fake
    9. incongruously real

17. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    The reason why I posted those pics was to remind how JJ embraced techniques old and new to make Star Trek look the way it looked. I think we're going to see a lot of practical stuff on Star Wars.

18. Vale Man

Jan 24, 2013
    Handsome chap. However I was referring to the heat from said volcano. How your mind got there from a discussion about CGI is beyond me, perhaps you like it just a tad too much Mrs.

LawJedi likes this.
  19. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    And it's different each time you ride it. There are 54 different combinations of 11 scenes. I've had 29 of those combinations so far. My favorite ride ever now. <3

Also, FYI, the new video runs at 60fps.

LawJedi likes this.
  20. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Not sure if serious...

I liked the merger of makeup, masks and CG in Star Trek. I think we'll be just fine there.

21. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    54 variations??!! God help my poor BF if I ever have the money to make that trip.

22. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    This is true. From an interview with fxguide:

Samnz and LawJedi like this.
  23. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    "But I wanted to go to Tosche Station and pick up some power converters!"

"Boba Fett? Boba Fett? Where?"

*bleh*

24. Vale Man

Jan 24, 2013
    Still better than PT dialogue, story and acting thanks for re- emphasising.

vinsanity and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  25. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I think he'll be sensible about it. Your last line there made me remember all the fuss there was about not having the credits at the beginning of ANH when it was released. Lucas was fined and then left the Directors Guild. I wonder how it'll work this time vis a vis credits etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.