main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Absence of Female Villain

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BrockStrap, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrockStrap

BrockStrap Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    Any ideas on why GL chose not to use a female as a major on-screen villain in any of the six movies?

2. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Probably because it would look rather silly; in this day and age a female villain needs to be extremely beautiful, young, and scantily clad YET at the same time she can be capable of incredible feats; all this ends up looking extremely unrealistic even from a space fantasy like star wars. I mean, just look how stupid that xena show was. All in all I am VERY glad there were no major female villain(s) nor was there a major female jedi.. (has a nightmare image of a female version of mace windu...)

However, I would not have minded seeing bultar swan, deepa biliba, or Adi Gallia in action, even for a few scenes.

As a side note, I do like how male jedi always have male apprentices, while female jedi have felmale apprentices. (in the CANON movies anyway, There is no need for that comment.).

3. Jedi_Master_Ryokono

Jedi_Master_Ryokono Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2003
    Xena? ....<shudder>

4. darkness4ever

darkness4ever Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2005
    female villian please who they going to have Padme` turn evil please

5. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Wll there was Zam Wessel, but she ended up being a changling, and who knows if that changling was a guy or gal.

6. SeventhAngelicSlayer

SeventhAngelicSlayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2005
    There was Asajj Ventress in Volume One of Clone Wars.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    In the Clone Wars cartoon Assaj came across to me as just a female version of Maul with no real personality other than that of a vicious animal. Had they made her something like Maleficent from Disney they could have used her instead of Dooku in the films.

8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Female Sith lords were discussed before each one, concept art was created (you may be interested in checking it out in the "Art of" books.)

In the end, it just didn't fit into the story. Lucas knew what he wanted.

-Seldon

9. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    Said it before and i'll say it again.

Count Dooku should have been Countess Dooku.

10. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    "Countess Dooku"?

Imagine all the *wonderful* EU material that *that* would have created, what with the inevitable "Palp's and Countess Dooku had a child" thing, and all...

<gag>

11. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Hmmm apprantly you have never read the story were Dooku and Palps adopt.

Thanks You Ill be here all week.

12. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I was watching the commentary on Clone Wars volume one. They said that Lucas was thinking about using Assaj Ventruss in episone one instead of Darth Maul. So you almost got your wish of a female villian in a star wars saga.

13. Darth_Aster

Darth_Aster Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2005
    That would be cool, if there was an female Twil'lek Sith. After stunning victims w/ the whip of her lekku, she would strike them w/ a lightsaber. Can you say lethal??

[face_skull] Darth_Aster[face_skull]

14. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Personally, I not only see the lack of a female villian, but also the lack of a strong female hero. Apart from Padme and Leia.

I just wished there had been more females in main roles or at least in roles that come into the foreground.

At least we have some female Jedi, but they are only very briefly seen and have no active role in the movies.

By the way, Aurra Sing is also a female villian ... but she was also seen only for a very short time - and even in an non-active role.

15. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005
    Halle Berry. She was Catwomen.

16. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Most female villains just don't work. Unless it is like some evil old hag or psycho girl.

It is hard for them to have a commanding and threatening presence though. Can you imagine a female Darth Maul being as aggressive and violent?

17. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Women can't do a Men's Job in Star Wars.

18. Alanikan

Alanikan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    I have a "making of TPM" book (or magazine, I cant remember), which shows different art concepts of what sith lords would look like. One of the sketchings was of a female sith lord. White, pale skin with many string-like, red tentacles for hair. Very creepy.

19. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    The "bad girl" has been done to death by movies, TV, comics, cartoons and video games. They are nothing but cliches with big boobies now.

20. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    A female villain might have been interesting, but I'm not sorry there wasn't one.

21. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    Mon Mothma is a villain. :mad:

22. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    If Anakin killed a female Count Dukoo or whatever in cold blood, that would cause some very comments by certain people, I'm guessing. (No offence).

23. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Especially if it was like an 80-year-old woman he's about to decapitate.

No, hang on...I remember people wanting to see that with Jocastu Nu :p

24. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    I remember reading somewhere that Lucas thought the concept art for a female Sith in TPM was too frightening, even for a Sith. He didn't want children to be scared out of coming into the theatres. Thus, the sinister but less ghoulish Darth Maul came into existance. But they did recycle that original concept art into Asajj Ventress.

I think a female villain could have replaced Darth Maul, but not Dooku. Christopher Lee has that wickedly cool and intelligent demeanor that's perfect for Dooku's character. As for female heroes, I think Padme and Leia were both perfect for that role.

25. Lolkje

Lolkje Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    Leia was a major step forward for female characters in a culture when the modern feminist movement was still young. Leia's contemporaries in film and TV were women like the blonde with disasterous romances "Hot Lips" O'Houlihan on M*A*S*H (1970,1972-1983), the scantily-costumed "Wonder Woman" (1975-1979), and the "Bionic Woman" who had to battle with Fembots occassionally (1976-1978). Though Leia immediately inspired a couple of strong-willed spinoff ladies (the resurrection of Colonel Wilma Deering in "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" (1979-1981) and Lt. Sheba in "Battlestar Galactica" (1978-1979)), female heroes like Leia still haven't been able to escape from having "mandatory eye-candy moments." I can't count how many male SW fans think the Jabba's Palace outfit was one of the best things about the whole trilogy. We female SW fans are beyond tired of that attitude, gentlemen.

If the heroines are remembered best for their "sex sells" moments, then female villains are even farther behind in the public (i.e. "male sci-fi demographic") mind. Most attempts at female villains are cliche at best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.