main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abstinence only sex-ed

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    But don't you see-it's better than nothing. It's better than NOT knowing. You were taught in school-you KNEW to use condoms, and how.

What about kids like you were who DON'T know? Do you want to deny them the knowledge that you had? We're not just talking morality here-in this day and age of AIDS, we're talking about life and death.

2. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    I don't understand your reasoning.

That's OK. My heart is kinda shattered right now so I may not be making alot of sence.

EDIT: At least today I have an excuse...

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I had it in school.

EDIT: I'm gonna elaborate, as no one took the bait. I knew about condoms long before school taught about them. The box of 12 comes with instructions.

SO where did you learn to buy the box of condoms in the first place?

4. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    SO where did you learn to buy the box of condoms in the first place?

Planned Parenthood.

5. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Ah, and if the Abstinence Only crowd had their way, PP would NOT be available.

So, J-Rod, if anything, you should support sex ed. That way, kids like you HAVE the info they need.

Sex ed isn't dangerous. Ignorance is.

6. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    So, J-Rod, if anything, you should support sex ed. That way, kids like you HAVE the info they need.

I support people having resources, such as planned parenthood. I don't support all they stand for, but they are a good resource.

I, however, don't support a school being that resource.

7. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Thinking back to my childhood, I didn?t learn about the exact mechanics of sexual intercourse from my parents or from school. I overheard some kids talking of how ?A goes into the B?.(They of course used terms I can?t repeat here) That was in the 4th grade, when I was 9. Then in the 6th grade we had sex-ed, but from a biological perspective and our parents had to sign permission slips.

In high school, when kids have raging hormones and it is the only thing on their dirty little minds (especially boys), I think the school should encourage abstinence (if anything, for safety and practicality reasons) and emphasize the definite ZERO chance of STD?s and pregnancy. Also we were shown full graphic pictures of STD?s and the nasty things they can do to a person?s sensitive areas. It was effective in instilling a healthy fear of having sex. Of course, the urges can still obliterate all rationality and fear, so if the teenagers won?t listen to the message of abstinence, they should at least have knowledge of the risks involved, know all the facts, and use protection if they really need to. Knowledge in never a bad thing and it reduces the chances of unwanted pregnancies and catching STD?s.

8. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    I personally, being a school student myself (and a Christain mind you as well) that they should teach abstinence. I think its a wise idea to teach condoms and other such stuff, but if they do it comes across as "dont listen to us, sleep around when you want"

Just my 2 cents :)

9. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I have to disagree with the above poster.

When I was in school we were taught (shown) about every single contraceptive and how they worked. We were given success rates and told of the alternatives (i.e. pregenancy, death) taht could happen if we had sex without them. They were very harsh when it came to consequences of pregnancy and STD's. They were very adament that abstinence was the ONLY way that the bad things would never happen to us.

But they were smart enough to know that for as much harpin on abstinence they gave, the decision was ultimately up to us. Not to them, not to our parents (however hard they tried), but us. And since it was ultimately up to is, it would be prudent to give us teh information we needed to make teh right decision.

I don't think Sex ed is saying "We don't care what you do, here's how you do it (wink, wink, nudge nudge), but more like "Hey, if you don't want these things happening to you, don't have sex, but realize that it IS your decision and if you decide you are emotionally ready for that step, here are some ways to protect yourself and your partner."

J-Rod, i don't want to pick on you and I hope I don't come off this way, but I have been reading your posts and while my heart and preyers go out to you and your family, I have to say that I feel that your nephew was going to have sex no matter what and sex-ed had nothing to do with it. You have been an extrememly good parent to that boy, but parenting is only half teh battle. It's very telling to me that the first thing he did when he got out of your house was shack up with this woman. Yes, his mom was NOT a good influence (and pleas, don't blame your self for her, but I have a feeling for all of your talking points went in one ear and out the other. I'm guessing he was just "towing the party line" (so to speak) when he was with you (I did the same thing as a kid) and the true him came out when he was out from under your roof. Your being so involved in his life had no effect becuase he wasn't willing to listen to the advise you were giving (and it WAS good advice). This is the precise reason we NEED to have sex-ed in school, for those kids who are going to have sex no matter what. We need to give them the tools to protect themselves.

Hang in there, I was a wild child and now I'm an upstanding Hotel Manager who is about to get married to a wonderful girl and I have made my parents very proud ;)

10. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Bravo, Epicauthor. People like J-Rod need to realize that unless you're prepared to lock your kids in a cell until they're of age, you're going to have to trust them at some point, and your best bet is to inform them-not keep them in the dark.

Unfortunately, some parents DO try keeping their kids figuratively locked up-with tragic results.

11. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    It's very telling to me that the first thing he did when he got out of your house was shack up with this woman.

While I appriciate your kind words, this statement is misleading. This chick and his mother had "groomed" him for 6 weeks prior to his leaving my home.

His mom made sure they had alot of time together. The chick bought him video games and new skateboards. It was a sick set-up.

Bravo, Epicauthor. People like J-Rod need to realize that unless you're prepared to lock your kids in a cell until they're of age, you're going to have to trust them at some point, and your best bet is to inform them-not keep them in the dark.

Goddamit! I gave him the safe-sex talk. He was never in the dark! Why do you always believe that if a parent doesn't believe it is the place of the school to teach sex-ed, then that parent must not want the child to know about it? The point is that it isn't the school's job to do it! I never said nobody should do it!

12. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    While I appriciate your kind words, this statement is misleading. This chick and his mother had "groomed" him for 6 weeks prior to his leaving my home.

His mom made sure they had alot of time together. The chick bought him video games and new skateboards. It was a sick set-up.

Still not taking responsibility, eh? Of course, the mom and daughter are evil. That goes without saying. video games? New skateboards? Funny, in my family, those would be called gifts, usually offered to people whom you like and appreciate. I can see how this deceptive act of giving can be used for evil.

Goddamit! I gave him the safe-sex talk. He was never in the dark! Why do you always believe that if a parent doesn't believe it is the place of the school to teach sex-ed, then that parent must not want the child to know about it? The point is that it isn't the school's job to do it! I never said nobody should do it!

I told you ages ago, J-Rod, not every parent talks to their kid as you did. Would you like to have those young men and women continue their life absent of the knowledge that can literally save their lives? What if one of those same kids contracts a desease, then dates your son, neglecting to inform him of her previous endeavors?

Sex education in public school is:
    A) Voluntary,
    B) Valueable to health, safety, and community wellness (ie-helps to fight teen pregnancy).

If sex education consists of "Don't do it", ignorance will reduce the importance of safety and health consciousness.

Nothing bad can come from sex ed. Sorry, let me ammend that: Nothing bad has come from sex ed. How long has the program been active now? Decades.

13. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Out of curiosity, why would his mother want him to sleep with her best friend? What's wrong with her?

14. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I believe J-Rod isn't for sex before marriage.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    J-Rod, my primary school held a voluntary sex-ed programme, that was on one night at like 7pm. It wasn't something you learned in class and parents decided if they were going to take you. Now, if you can't rely on parents in this age of parental apathy and appeasement, and you personally don't think schools should do it, would a compromise where the school hosted an event be acceptale to you?

E_S

16. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    cal asked...Out of curiosity, why would his mother want him to sleep with her best friend? What's wrong with her?

I don't know. She admitted her actions were purposeful. Hell, she even told him I knew about it and approved of it. But as to a reason I can only speculate.

I know she was upset that he listened to me and not her. So it could be sabatage(SP?) out of spite.

Also, we always used to argue about the fact that I didn't let him have sex. She was always the type of parent to say,"That's my boy!" after his latest conquest.

FID said...I believe J-Rod isn't for sex before marriage.

Oh no brother. I am all about that. I'm just against sex before adulthood.

Now, if you can't rely on parents in this age of parental apathy and appeasement, and you personally don't think schools should do it, would a compromise where the school hosted an event be acceptale to you?

Sure, that's cool. As long as both points of view are represented. I actually like that idea. Again, as long as the paticipaing parents are the ones that pay.

17. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Oh no brother. I am all about that. I'm just against sex before adulthood.

Adulthood is a subjective thing. No one really knows when it fully happens. Some people are never really adults but children in adult bodies (think Jacko).

18. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Adulthood is a subjective thing.

OK, how's about this: Not before they have their own household and are ready to raise a child should they "accidently" have one.

19. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Then you're measuring adulthood by material possessions and not how mature they are.

I worked at Best Buy and knew a guy that was 30 and still living at home. Would you consider him an adult?

20. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Then you're measuring adulthood by material possessions and not how mature they are.

Being able to provide the basic necessities for yourself is a measure of maturity, not material. I'm not saying you must have a 2500 sq. ft. house and 2 SUV's.

Sex is an awesome responsibility. Even the most careful can still get pregnant or contract AIDS. You need to be ready for those possibilities before deciding to engage in the behaivior that causes them. Simple common sence.

If you aren't grown up enough to be responsible for yourself, then, in most cases it would be wise to think twice before taking on any other responsibilities.

21. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    While owning a house is a part of being mature. It really requires not much effort these days. Two people on somewhat decent incomces could afford a place and still be immature. You should allow them to make their own decisions, because ultimately it's not you that has to deal with their consequences. If they think they're mature enough then let them have sex.

22. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    While owning a house is a part of being mature. It really requires not much effort these days. Two people on somewhat decent incomces could afford a place and still be immature. You should allow them to make their own decisions, because ultimately it's not you that has to deal with their consequences. If they think they're mature enough then let them have sex.

Isn't that what I said? If they can provide for themselves, what they do is their business.

23. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    No, you didn't. You said while they're living at home. My philosophy is any time they feel they're ready, including when they're at home.

24. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    My philosophy is any time they feel they're ready, including when they're at home.

Ladies and Gentlemen...Welcome to the Welfare State. Brought to you by parents like my sister and FID. =D=

Why is it that so many people support no one having to take personal responsibility?

25. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Am I the only one that thinks you're as blind as a bat? If so here's what I said. To which you replied so stupidly.

Emphasized for the blind folks. We all know how age effects the eyes.

That's not exactly a case for not taking responsibility, but under your warped logic who knows what you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.