main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abuse of Power by an Administrator - I Have Been Demoted

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Kadue Edit: Read my final post in this thread for an explanation of why this is closed.

I strongly suggest that everyone pay attention to the section in bold in my post just before the 200th one in this thread.

There is some courtesy in the ModSquad, little, but some. When a moderator does something that is considered against the rules or an abuse of power, the administrators, led by Vertical, talk with the mods and come to a conclusion what should be done. No demotions are handed out unless the general consent is that there should be or if a mod needs to be stopped from locking or banning or deleting and etc.

I am confused now as to why I have been demoted, having upheld forum rules in my stay here.

Carter-TFN, not the head admin, in a unilateral move demoted me a few minutes ago, ostensibly because of a back and forth between the two of us in the ModSquad. It was heated yes, and I used the word "bastardly" to describe a post by him where he attacked another moderator. I saw it as a divisive move made by an administrator that has created nothing but tension and discord since the end of the summer. I called him this post, as did another manager, and for my responses, I am demoted.

This is not proper procedure, not the protocol to be followed. This is also not the first time this has happened. Remember Son of the Suns? Carter demoted him in a unilateral move as well. Despite his public words on the rules and procedures here at the JC, it would appear that he feels it best to make up his own rules. It would seem that he - never an active moderator, not chosen for his position because of knowledge of the board or skill with a particular forum, promoted solely because of his Staff status - decides what rules to enforce, cast off and mold to his own making.

Having PMed him and received no satisfaction, I take my case to the public domain, since this really opens the doors to several points. If nothing else, hopefully, we will have a better understanding of the system used to punish moderators and it will be on public record because of this...this farce.

Then you, the regular users, will have words to use when you see a mod abuse power or violate the TOS. You will know the procedure and will act on it and never be left in the dark.

1. I am calling for an inquiry into my demotion.

2. I am calling for an inquiry into Carter-TFN's continued status as an administrator at the JC.

3. I am calling for a public record to be made of Moderator Punishment Protocol.

2. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    It is sad to hear Lord Bane

Axl.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I find this very intriguing myself, and would like some answers.

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Why were you demoted? Certainly it would take more than one borderline swear word to get you demoted. Carter's response is needed here, but right now it doesn't make much sense.

5. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I'd also like to know why Lord Bane was banned just now. That's complete BS.

6. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I believe you were demoted for flaming another mod in MS, Bane. I'm not going to post the exact phrase here because of the nature of "private" forums but that is what I'm pretty sure happened.

Please keep in mind that this happened about 30min ago and without Carter giving his reasons, I can't be 100% sure.

7. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    You don't find it odd that reasons weren't given? This sounds like a grudge to me. If calling an action bastardly is flaming, then the disneyfication of this board has reached a new level.

8. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Salty, yes, we find it odd. Everyone needs to realize that, at the moment, most of the moderators know as little as everyone else does.

9. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Nobody said that the mention of a "bastardly" action was the cause for the demotion.

To my knowledge it was a different, more stern and clearly directed flame from Bane to Carter that preceeded the demotion.

Edit: Mark-up's :D

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks, Jeff. At least you still have your head about you.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Just as a note (and having no knowledge of anything on any side, I'm just posting this up for information), the word "bastard" has been used on the Simpsons which is the prevailing "guidepost" for swearing on the JC that I am aware of.

That's all I have to contribute.

12. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    I sent Carter a PM, saying I'd give him one chance to settle this in private before I went public with his abuse of power. I said it was not a threat, but a declaration of my actions, my intent. He said I was threatening him and said it was grounds for demotion from VIP to reg user to banned user.

I hesitated in posting this thread, and decided, even after letting DA know about it, that it would be best to let Carter know as well. Courtesy, right? This could have been settled quietly, in the ModSquad or in PMs.

PS - Rox, my personal Savior, has lifted my ban in case you are wondering.

13. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I understand that, DA. However, what ever happened to being a straight shooter and telling someone how it is and how you feel? The truth hurts sometimes.

14. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Of course it does Salty But there is a difference to being a straight shooter and blatantly insulting someone.

I've told Bane what I think he was banned for and I dare say even he'd admit that it was a flame.

15. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    I did tell him to shut up, I will admit that. He yelled, in mixed caps and bold, and was being unreasonable. His lack of respect in the thread - and his tenure here - leaves me little else to say to get his attention, save blatant profanity.

It would appear I got his attention too well. ;)

16. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Perhaps you did, but that still doesn't excuse abuse of power.

EDIT: Clarity

17. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

May 8, 2002
    Well I'll give you my support as far as my little voice can take me.

Just as long as I'm not banned for it ;)

Axl.

18. OhMy

OhMy Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2002
    [edited]

YJ edit: If you have something to say, don't hide behind a sock.

19. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I'm shocked this hasn't been locked by the JC's "secret society" yet. I really see no practical reason (other than IGN site security) why anything should be "private." LB, I appreciate you being this open with all the regular users, as the way (I think) things should be all the time anyway. Best of luck in resolving this.

20. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    If Dick Cheney threw Bush out of the White House window and then said he was the president, would it be excused simply because they had an arguement behind closed doors? When power is usurped, it is usually met with retalliation.

I won't take any stance on this, but all I will say is that abuse of power, in any situation, is wrong and not to be tolerated, whether it is a TFN Staffer or the Vice President of the United States of America. Since I don't know the details, I refuse to take a side, nor would I take a side if I did know the details.

21. OhMy

OhMy Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2002
    [edited]

YJ edit: Bye

22. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I love when people create socks because they lack the courage to say what they feel with their recognized username.

[face_plain]

23. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

May 8, 2002
    EDIT: no need to critize ohmy, he's gone

Axl.

24. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    He's a banned user who demands to be heard anyway, right "OhMy" :p

royalguard96: Unless you want your IP adress posted for the world to know and hack with, I think we'll keep some things private in MS.

ADONIAH32: Check your JC "hierarchy" again. The situation you described with the AhericanGovernment does not apply here. Nobody is usurping power. The issue is whether or not a staff admin should have demoted a manager whithout discussing it first.

25. OhMy2

OhMy2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2002
    [edited]

YJ edit: Go away.... Please

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.