main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abuse of Power by an Administrator - I Have Been Demoted

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Example 2:

User A: "I like picking flowers and helping little dogs across the road."

User B: "Shut up, you useless useless person!"

[face_laugh] That is priceless! Great example.

Too much of this argument has been based on heresay and very biased feelings. The way to approach a situation, it is not. Hopefully the guidelines set up through this will prevent any more of this kind of, um, stuff in the future...

2. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    Liz Skywalker, I wish you'd tell the fuller story instead of your condensed edited version.

3. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Liz Skywalker, I wish you'd tell the fuller story instead of your condensed edited version.

Carter-TFN, I wish you'd tell the fuller story, instead of Liz Skywalker's condensed edited version.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Carter - why don't you tell us your version of the whole story. It might help alleviate confusion.

EDIT: xie, we should probably never be on the same brainwave again... :p :)

5. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    What xie and dp4m said.

6. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I would just as soon Liz not have said anything, knowing that the full context of the thread more than likely would not be released. That looks extremely biased.

7. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I presume Carter didnt want it out in the first place.

8. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Then why ask Liz to tell it? So he can come back, argue that she gave out private information, and ban her?

Obviously, Carter wants us to know, but he isn't telling. [face_plain]

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I would just as soon Liz not have said anything, knowing that the full context of the thread more than likely would not be released. That looks extremely biased.

I agree, Q_G_J -- I've been sitting here for the last week watching Babylon 5 and given this situation I'd have preferred the Vorlon proverbial "three-edged sword" -- Bane's side, Carter's side and the truth in-between.

That's why I think Carter should tell his side. Then we'd have both sides to the story as THEY see it. We don't have to make objective decisions of punishments or the like based upon that information, but we can internalize it and come to our own conclusions.

EDIT: xie, I see nothing in Liz's post that indicates Carter asked/instructed her to post it.

10. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    xie, any proof for your Carter remark?

11. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002

How is Carter not asking for her to post the full version? Unless he's being sarcastic, which he didn't indicate.

Seems like asking to me.

12. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    That's why I think Carter should tell his side. Then we'd have both sides to the story as THEY see it. We don't have to make objective decisions of punishments or the like based upon that information, but we can internalize it and come to our own conclusions.

What dp4m said...(bold print mine)

EDIT: Wow...so many post made in the few seconds it took to type this one!

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    How is Carter not asking for her to post the full version? Unless he's being sarcastic, which he didn't indicate.

Oh, sorry. I took that to mean that RF was correct and that Carter didn't want to post ANYTHING, but that if Liz was going to post SOMEthing he'd have preferred the entire thing rather than a condensed (edited?) version.

14. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Well, maybe, but at this point, either someone tells us the whole story (preferably not Carter, since he would be biased), or we have nothing else to go with.

I'm sure the issue mentioned by Liz was correct, but it doesn't cover all of the bases.

15. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    So xie, you will take one possibly biased view, but not a second?

16. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I'd rather none, but since we've already had one, what can we do?

If we can get an unbiased one, we can forget about anything biased we've already heard. Don't put words in my mouth please.

17. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Here's the story:

I was going to retire from moderating come January 20th. I posted a thread giving everyone a heads up on it, and posted my nominations to take my spot. Leading up to this, there had been a discussion in the Mod Squad pertaining my working at another website and at this point, there were already some heated feelings.

So I spoke with Liz and a few other moderators about my situation and eventually decided that I would take a week or two off of the JC to help get some of the stress off of me. So, at that point, I requested to be demoted for the time being and banned, and when I was ready to return, I'd fill out an unban request.

In my resignation thread is where the argument happened.

Needless to say, I'm saying this all on my own accord. Don't get mad at Liz for not giving out the entire story. She was giving the bare bones of the story.

Now, you have your background for the situation.

18. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    First off, Sapient in representing the JC administration approved of my earlier actions from his post here,

Lord Bane: 48 hour ban for flaming publicly in Mod Squad and via PM and inciting drama in Comms. In order to ban him he has to be demoted, but this ban is not a demotion. No private forum access during the ban.

Now as to my banning, it's stated but no reason was given so there will be another investigation on my banning.

Carter-TFN: 48 hour ban and 1 week demotion. No private forum access during the ban.

Let's move on to the story:
    I was initially unhappy with a JC mod for helping to startup another SW discussion board, which is fine and dandy, but he proceeded to ripoff TFN's look and coding.

[image=http://www.theforce.net/profiles/carter/acrossthestars.jpg]

He'd mentioned using them as placeholders before launching the site which I didn't have any problems with. However, he'd already advertised the site in his profile and other members had already registered and posted so the site had already launched. So he eventually changed the look of www.acrossthestars.net and I didn't have any problems with it.

Then said JC moderator didn't simply take a mod vacation, as Liz mentioned, he resigned on Christmas day and decided to take time off. It wasn't something I was prepared for and I was upset with it. I made some remarks that showed my displeasure to said moderator but eventually, I said I wished he'd return and we can look past the mistakes and move forward. Bane then proceeded to say a few things which made me angry. I expressed my displeasure with a few words in bold type and caps. Bane posted again, and told me "shut your mouth."

I expect a certain level of respect and courtesy from my fellow mods, esp. since I would offer them the same consideration but this wasn't warranted and is albeit a mild flame perhaps, but a flame nonetheless. So I demoted Bane to VIP and and restricted his MS access.

Then things really went downhill from there and spilled out into comms.

19. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I wondered how long it would take you to bring up the banner scheme. Since you didn't respond to my PM, I'll post what I said here.

I really don't give a crap about the TFN scheme. It's funny you make a big deal out of that when there are tons of sites around the internet that have the same design. That design was never meant to be permanent and you should be flattered we consider this scheme so good. I'm sure you've been snooping around the site, and that's fine with me. I just hope you've noticed that Star Wars isn't our main focus, nor has it ever been. If you had such a problem with the site, why didn't you PM me about it? It's my site and I have the final say on EVERYTHING that's done there. You've acted like a real ass about this.

Grow the hell up, Carter. You really need some fresh air. Before any mods get trigger happy about this PM, this is what I said. These are MY words.

20. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I expect a certain level of respect and courtesy from my fellow mods, esp. since I would offer them the same consideration but this wasn't warranted and is albeit a mild flame perhaps, but a flame nonetheless. So I demoted Bane to VIP and and restricted his MS access.

I see where you're coming from, but you basically lay it out right here. You felt personally disrespected, so you took it upon yourself to demote him two levels, and remove his access to the Mod Squad, a forum which, I daresay, he earned the right to visit more than you did.

Then things really went downhill from there and spilled out into comms.

Yeah, well, you wouldn't talk to him Via PM, and who else was he to turn to?

21. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    Salty, it has nothing to do with immaturity or growing up, theft is theft.

22. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    IMO the events leading up to this are not important. The crucial issues here are whether Lord Bane should be punished for his mild flame, whether Carter-TFN exceeded his authority and what should be done to prevent future incidents ending up like this one. The reasons that Lord Bane and Carter-TFN do not get on are not relevant.

23. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Theft of code is hardly a crime, nor even a wrongdoing. You cannot prove that he didn't code it himself, and no site holds copyright over HTML.

The banner was never in use on TFN, in any way, and it was approved for use by the creator.

Sorry if you feel that nobody else on the internet should be allowed to have a banner with a curve and sidebar, but a lot do, and it isn't a crime.

24. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    DK, Sapient already posted that Bane was to be rebanned "for flaming publicly in Mod Squad and via PM and inciting drama in Comms. In order to ban him he has to be demoted, but this ban is not a demotion. No private forum access during the ban."

Sapient posted that in representing the JC administration.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Theft of code is hardly a crime, nor even a wrongdoing.

Okay, I agree mostly with what else you said but THAT statement above is patently false.

Look at MS vs. just about everybody. Sun vs. a bunch of people. Apple vs. a bunch of people. Etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.