main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abuse of Power by an Administrator - I Have Been Demoted

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    citizen-tom...
    "What the heck is with G12's edit in Salty's thread?"

I locked the thread for several reasons:
    1. A thread with the exact same name existed already. There's no need to spam Comms with multiple threads of the same title.
    2. The previous thread with the same name was locked. If you have more to say, contact the mod who locked the original thread to reopen.
    3. The thread I locked had no point.

the thread was already locked by carter-tfn

2. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    I am not appreciative, EP. Not at all. I am allowed to post my opinion about Carter.

EDIT: Yes, Citizen-Tom, it was. I noticed that too. And then someone else went in and made it look like they locked it. Very interesting...

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    citizen-tom, often threads are locked twice, messages edited twice, or users banned twice, simply because action hadn't been taken at the time that the second mod started to take action.

4. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Tom, when two mods close the same thread, the one that clicked "edit" the last's edit is the one that shows.

5. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Ok, I'm just getting up to speed on this so I can't comment on it in detail but I'm the only other administrator online right now because of the hollidays so I feel I should make some sort of statement.

Again, without having all the facts and I'll comment further when I do get them, I can state a few things as fact. One, Lord Bane's demotion/banning will not be permanent and two, at the end of this we will come up with a definitive policy regarding the demotion and banning of mods that will be announced and adhered to from now on.

For those looking for an apology from the admin involved or a demotion, you'll be disppointed. What I can offer is a genuine attempt on our part to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen again. More as I get the whole story and the discussion is concluded. End of speech.

6. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I'm with LB on this issue. He hasn't done me wrong yet well there was that coup of my senate :p ; and has more sense than some of the mods I've seen.

7. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I've already addressed the issue of my thread being done like that. Thanks for noticing.

EDIT: Grammar

8. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Wow, interesting.

As a regular user I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. I didn't see what caused Carter to ban Lord Bane, but it doesn't seem to have been handled well. It looks pretty bad from over here. I would really like to know how in heaven's name one person would demote a mod for a flame that wasn't even public. Maybe it's not modly behavior but I don't think it constitutes immeadiate and unilateral demotion.

I am sure that Lord Bane intended to do well for the YJCC. He was asking people opinions, trying to figure out how to better something. If his methods were lacking, I don't know since I'm on the mod squad. But that hardly constitutes a "coup."

I have full faith that the administration will resolve this. I've seen problems in the past on this board that have been resolved in a mature decent manner, IMHO. I've been involved in other organization where it wasn't handled so well, so any blatant misuse of power and allowance of that by others in power would make me pretty mad.

As a regular member, I look forward to seeing how this plays out. Now time for vacation :)

9. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    Oh, sorry G12. I didn't understand. I just read the last line of Ariana's first post and assumed that you had seen Carter's edit already. Sorry, I owe you an apology...

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    For those looking for an apology from the admin involved or a demotion, you'll be disppointed. What I can offer is a genuine attempt on our part to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen again. More as I get the whole story and the discussion is concluded. End of speech.

So, again just using a general case, a Mod who knowingly abuses power over another Mod will not have any punishment, regardless of status? (This is assuming a) abuse was proven and b) it's not Josh or Vert where "special rules" may apply)

11. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    And c) considering what an Mod has done in the past?

12. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    For those looking for an apology from the admin involved or a demotion, you'll be disppointed.

What does this mean? For screwing policy and taking it upon himself to make a ban, that most mods who have posted here didn't stand behind, the admin gets "nothing".

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Bane, based solely on what I saw in Mod Squad and the heart of your PM, I can say you should not have been banned. That is my honest feeling. The real question is where do we go from here? Certainly, there is a gap between what is bannable in the eyes of one administrator versus another. I think some tough calls have to be made using the skeleton crew we have. Doing what's right isn't always easy. I promise to stay involed to the best of my ability, make an informed decision involving folks in here and in Mod Squad, and use my experience to do it.

14. JangoFettClone

JangoFettClone Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2002
    "It's all wrong, we're not even supposed to be here"

Wow, mods are now getting a taste of what us common folk consider as 'normal' treatment.

15. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    He shouldn't have been demoted, much less banned. Carter single-handedly demoted him long before he banned him.

16. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    dp4m, forgive my ignorance, but I thought special rules consideration only applied to owners. ?[face_plain] Maybe, I'm wrong.

17. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    All the mods who have posted in this thread (aside from Carter) were normal users once so we know full well what it's like. ;)

Edit: Well Bane admitted to flaming Carter in MS, Ariana. While I agree that it was a very sudden move, a flame is a flame IMO.

18. JangoFettClone

JangoFettClone Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2002
    You certainly have a weird definition of normal. ;)

Edit: Since it is a private board, who really cares if he did flame. It's not like the general public is going to see it, and you are all adults..... are you?

19. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Ok, I've stayed quiet far too long about this. The fact is, I have had and continue to have serious issues with Carter. Tonite's episode only exemplafies my original feelings.

The fact is, Carter has gone unpunished for his many violations of board rules. I, personally, have been verbally assaulted by Carter through PMs. I've seen him get away with thing, such as this, and someone else pays for it. I think that we need to look at how things are carried out on this board. I, for one, dislike the fact that a viceroy of tf.n has more power than pracitcally anyone.

Go ahead and ban me Carter, but I'm going to post solid evidence from PMs of this guy's blatant disrespect for people. The fact is, I have gone to several powerful people at the JC and nothing has been done. This time I won't keep the PM's in the "read" box; this time they become public.

NOT QUITE. TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT. ACCORDING TO THIS FORUM, YOU SHOULD HAVE THE PERMISSION OF BOTH PARTIES TO POST PM'S.

As you can see, from this one incident, Carter broke several rules. And don't listen to Carter, as he'll undoubtedly come in here and say what a liar I am. He'll say that I harassed him or something, but don't believe it. I have posted for you the proof of his insolence toward obeying rules. He has abused his powers far too often.

Heh, I guess that's the end of trying to get banners on TFN. :)

20. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    He shouldn't have been demoted, much less banned. Carter single-handedly demoted him long before he banned him.

Without having actually read the thread, how can anyone in here without MS access say make any logical conclusions?

Answer? We/they can't. And if they have seen the MS thread, that should be a demotable offense in-and-of-itself. How us regular users drop the Carter witch-hunt and wait for some facts to make our decision. If what we've been given is accurate, then Carter most likely did overstep his authority, but since I have seen nothing that would prove positive that he did so, how about we all step back and let the mods duke it out?

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    dp4m, forgive my ignorance, but I thought special rules consideration only applied to owners.

AFAIK Vertical has some "leeway" because he's Supreme Chancellor thus the buck ultimately stops with him. So he gets to make the big decisions (and NOT get paid the big bucks, sadly). Hence I'd imagine he gets some "special rules" consideration as well. Which I, for one, am perfectly fine with. :)

22. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I got banned for flaming once and it was only 24 hours. What do mods get? temporary demotion? A ban? Forced into solitude? I don't think a mod should be demoted for that, everyone slips. Especially when emotions run high in an argument. You're bound to say "$*#@ you you #&$@(#@" if the person completely ignores you or pisses you off.

23. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I would disagree, what we know LB said was 'shut up'.

AT the very worst that's a mild flame of which mods have heard worse from members and not been banned, you yourself gave me a slight warning for a rather mild flame and let it slide.

IF carter is so insecure and thin skinned as to be unable to be told shut up in private, how can he possibly be considered a mod. Furthermore, if his position as a mod is purely in respect to his staff position why does he, and continues to, act as if he's an actual mod?

24. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    I don't care if it was a demotable/bannable offense, Carter does not have the power, last I heard, to single-handedly make those decisions. They are supposed to go through somebody, hopefully somebodies.

25. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "a Mod who knowingly abuses power over another Mod will not have any punishment, regardless of status?"

Do you honestly believe that this is demotion-worthy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.