main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abuse of Power by an Administrator - I Have Been Demoted

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "As I said before, a clearer policy on mod demotions would be a good start."

Wasn't that supposed to be the end result of the Lord Mauly Mall business from a few months ago?

Amazing.

2. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Maybe it was, and maybe we didn't do as good a job as we could have last time. All I can say is that we'll try harder this time to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

3. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    ::shakes his head in dismay:: It's a freaking message board people. Carter should have to common sense to follow procedure, and everyone should just shut up and let Bane work it out. It seems there are plenty of mods willing to take his side. There's not much us regular posters can do, I'm afraid.

4. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Why do staffers get their positions anyways? I can see Josh getting his, but the others? That's kind of nebulous, couldn't they be given VIPships instead? They'd cause less of a problem then and it'd make more sense.

5. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    I guess we're just naive and hoping perhaps what we say will affect the mods' decision. [face_plain]

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I suppose calling into question the need for Carter to have any sort of admin powers at all might solve the immediate problem to an extent, but we'll undoubtedly just get the same situation with two different mods later. I think it's reasonably clear that Bane did not deserve a ban or a (permanent) demotion, but we still haven't seen exactly what was said. It's probably best left to the mods to decide, since they're unlikely to post MS material in here, and without seeing it we can't make a true judgement.

7. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    I thought I read somewhere that staffers have mod powers because they add/remove stuff in TFN which require at least mod powers to access the board.

8. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    "..I'm afriad"

Yes you are.

Power does not equal abilities, power equals the willingness to force things to conform to your views.

You're only powerless if you want to be.

9. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    We can't make a judgment about this, but we can show support. I think what this thread is mainly about, for regular members to show their support. I don't think LB is a poor mod. Even if he told Carter to shut up from what I've seen from a previous poster, Carter has said much worse.

10. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    I agree completely. Far from a "coup", Bane actually had (and hopefully still has) great ideas for the JCC, there just seemed to be not enough support for them. I'm backing him in this, regardless of how much it helps.

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    What you say in here has a huge part in the decision. Just keep things constructive. We've heard so much from everyone that what I did was create a few polls in Mod Squad. I need the big picture in terms of percent and where everyone stands. The result you'll get is the most democratic, objective decision we can make. In a way, we are telling you what policy is by our decision and action. But trust me when I say so much of moderating is done on a case-by-case basis. Although similar to the LMM situation, it is vastly different in other regards. The precedent of what was done there plays a part, but the differences beg a separate analysis.

12. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Okay, if the staff can't do something without mod powers, fine, leave it at that. But if you're going to be a staff member I recommend not being a moderator. It just doesn't jive well. Especially if you make unilateral decisions.

13. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    I think this is a shining example of how Mod Squad is actually working effectively here. Immediate action can be taken in most situations, as DS has just shown. Even if a decision can't be reached immediately, there seems to be some sort of action happening.

14. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Well I think that Carter should get 48 hours ban and one week demotion and the same should go to Lord Bane. You both did wrong, you need learn that you represent the admin and the boards. Just because it's in a private board doesn't mean TOS is in affect. That's is just me a "normal user". [face_plain]

This should have never arisen. [face_plain]

15. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    I consider Bane one of the good guys, and good at finding that elusive balance we all strive to live with and practice. To lose him would be more akin to chopping off an integral element to keeping the peace here, a vital organ, causing the main body to lose its life-blood.

16. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    Indeed. Lord Bane has always seemed level-headed, fair, and one who genuinely cares about the JC. Carter on the other hand, has not, to me at least, seemed this way.

17. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    "Maybe it was, and maybe we didn't do as good a job as we could have last time. All I can say is that we'll try harder this time to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen again."

That's putting it lightly. Perhaps it's not the policy as much as Carter not caring. From what I've seen it here it's pretty obvious he's not acting very maturely, and has broken rules and abused his powers in the past. Therefore even if you change the policy or make it clearer, he will do it again.
    So why then, may I ask, is demotion out of the question?

If he gets away with abusing power with another mod what's to stop him from doing it to users that may not even realise he's breaking the rules?

And really, should 'shut up' be blown out of proportion? Big deal, yeah, grow thicker skin. Sometimes people need to be told to shut up, and if you can't deal with that, then you take yourself far too seriously.
    Not to meantion it's in a private mod forum. So really, who is being protected from 'flames' such as this. Someone's ego, nothing more.

Really, does anyone think this was a case of an admin being confused with the rules? No, this is the case of something with a bruised ego abusing his power.

That should be punished, not a slap on the wrist either.

18. CBaoth_The_Crazy

CBaoth_The_Crazy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Well I think that Carter should get 48 hours ban and one week demotion and the same should go to Lord Bane. You both did wrong, you need learn that you represent the admin and the boards.

Not to criticise, as this idea probably won't be used anyway, but first of all, how will this solve anything. Will Bane and Carter just come back after their ban/demotion and be all hunky-dorey with each other. No. In fact, it may just raise the tension. Second-of-All, I don't think any of the offences either mod made was worth a 48-hour ban and a one week demotion.

19. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I appreciate that you're all remaining constructive. There is a ton of action. Keep this in mind. There are a few basic questions the Mod Squad group needs to answer.

- Did Carter-TFN do something warranting a demotion for himself?
    - Were Bane's actions publicly and privately deserving of a demotion?

Depending on those answers will take us to the next step. If the poll leads us in a way that that there is no next step, please understand. What you are seeing is the best form of democracy a message board can give you. We are trying to respond better than the past and to not avoid conflict, but address it. The boards need us more than ever and the little bit of crew we have online right now during the holidays is devoting everything they have to reaching a decision.

20. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Excellent point, Ewan. I have to wonder that if Carter had told someone else to "shut up" would he have also been summarily demoted and banned?
    The same rules should apply to EVERYONE, all the time. No exceptions.

21. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    Look in any thread in the JC. Words like "shut up" and "ass" and the like are thrown around all the time. Sometimes serious, sometimes not. I've never seen anyone banned for it. I've rarely seen someone wrist-slapped for it.

Despite what our 3rd grade teachers tell us (well mine did) "shut up" is not flaming or trolling or cussing. Usually, if someone says it, it's a desperate plea for the other person to get out of their face before they explode.

EDIT: Whoa!!! The number just jumped from 149 posts to 147.

22. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    I think it does. Look at all the drama that this event has created ! If they had both had been mature, this would have never shown up in Comms !

23. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I've been told "I really don't like you" by a mod before, but I didn't take it to heart. Grow a thicker skin or just grow up. Best advice anyone can make. I applaud Ewan's post on its bluntness and truth.

24. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    Who says they were BOTH being immature?

25. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    and polls, too, have to be taken with a grain of salt, as it represents only the numbers who have responded. There is always the silent majority......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.