main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abuse while in costume- ever happen to you?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amanita, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Luckily abuse has never happened to me, I commonly dress up as Leia with the SAFF and I get all these shy little girls come up and hug me and ask for a photograph. I love it, but I have seen abuse happen and it's not nice, but my friends have always shrugged it off, at the end of the day your doing what you love and making a lot of little kids happy, because you remember what wonder Star Wars was for you as a kid.

There are worse things, one guy I heard of had his entire Boba Fett costume stolen when he went to go change.

2. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    I actually have a funny story about something similar, and with MUCH more on-point costumes! During a major convention in the SF Bay Area several years ago, some of our friends did up the Nazi Ark island procession from the end of Raiders. We have something like six Nazi officers, a Belloq, a Toht, and a really well made Ark, Nazi banners, flags and everything, the whole nine yards. They were really cool -- if people weren't leaving the elevators in the lobby fast enough, they'd start yelling "Schnell! Schnell!" and everyone would just crack up.

So anyway, they're all in the lobby heading to the green room to get ready for the masquerade, when we spotted a WHOLE SLEW of WW2 veterans (identified by their commemorative uniform hats, etc.) in the hotel -- a quick look at the hotel activities guide revealed they were there that Satuday for a reunion dinner! Everyone was like "Holy ****!" and "Oh, my G** this is totally insulting!" and people were apologizing left and right. Actually the vets were VERY appreciative of the effort involved, and mostly -- get this -- of the ACCURACY of the costumes!! True story.

The Parrot

3. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Parrot,
    That's a cool story. Amazing how much reenactors and costumers have in common. It's a difficult, somethings exspensive and frustraiting hobby. The pay off when a perosn who had been there(WWII Vets for example) say "That's exactly what I wore." v
    Do you have pics of your gear I might've seen your group but only a glance through the mob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.