main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AC#3: The New Kids on the Block

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Humble extra, Sep 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    gay-len, saying something like that just opens up a can of worms. especially since 2 of the 3 permanent members of the AC post to the same board as you do gay-len. so i don't think anyone needs to start pointing fingers.

i think it's a good group, and they've got their work cut out for them as far as dealing with the issues that were brought up in kad's thread. best of luck to them :)

2. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Well, I'm officially no longer on the AC, so good luck to the new members! :)

3. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I post over at he-man.org also, and I'm getting a bunch of people to rise up and take over this place! That's right, soon all your favorite SW characters will be wearing fuzzy speedos!

Well, good luck to all the new AC members. Hopefully you can salvage something out of the forum.

4. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    fuzzy speedos

Initially I thought this was funny, but then I got a bad mental image.
    shudder

Congats to the new ACers. :)

~H~

5. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I saw this all coming... :(

Right now, we are compiling a list of the forums that we visit. As of now, there are somewhere around 20 forums that at least one member regularly lurks in.

As per Kadue's request to stop derailing the thread, I'm not going to talk about the "internet conspiracies" that everyone seems to enjoy. I've posted my thoughts on it in the AC forum, and if you want to discuss things with me, send me a PM. After all, if you don't like us, you're not going to be able to utilize us.

6. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I happen to know all of the AC members post at an intenet message board where they spend a lot of their time 'discussing' the JC.

Of course that board is the JC so maybe that's okay.

In any case, it can give the impression of colusion, but it isn't ipso facto proof.

As long as they remember that debate by definition comes from disagreement rather then agreement there shouldn't be a problem.

And of course I wish them good luck in their dealings with the vicious Chicken of Bristol, or the modsquad, whichever.

7. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Thanks, Jeff. And thank you and all of the previous AC members for your hard word, and for giving us a clear direction on what we need to do to make the AC more effective and for setting the good examples that we intend to follow.

Gaylen, or anybody else, if you want to discuss the "chummy" thing, give me a PM. I wouldn't mind talking about it with you if you have concerns.

8. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I apologize for continuing this derailment, but I needed to get my 2 cents in.

There are no "KUNSPEERASEE"s going on here. I was as surprised as anybody when I was nominated. Many members post off-site on both public and private boards. I don't know what the history of these private board wars might be, but I know now that no board I am a member of is involved in any coordinated actions with respect to the JC (save the He-Man conspiracy that B'omarr brought up earlier [face_devil] ). Nobody questioned Dark Lord Erik or Bria's nomination because they post off-site at the same board, nor should they have. I can speak for most all of the new AC members when I say that we are here to do a job and we intend to do it to the best of our abilities regardless of our affiliations.

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i didn't know you all posted at that board, not that i really care, i mean was it an issue that i contribute to Forum when i was selected?

10. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    This is an outstanding group, and I look forward to working with everyone. I hope the last two accept, and join the group as well

wait, i haven't gotten my pm yet! ;)

11. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Well, hopefully everyone can sleep easier now, because I'm not posting there (the Dantooine Base ezBoard) anymore. I resigned earlier tonight.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get something accomplished in the AC with less pointless bickering about who belongs to what ezBoard.

12. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    As have I. The JC is too important for me to have even the symblance of a conflict of interest.

13. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I, too, have resigned from the Base. For me, the JC comes first and I think it's best that I leave my attention undivided in order for me to do my best for the AC. :)

GO 'CLONES!

14. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I don't know the nature of this EZBoard, but I hope you guys aren't cutting yourselves off from a community you enjoy being part of simply because some people think there is a conflict of interest.

15. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    i've got to agree with jeff.

if you find that being a part of a spin-off board is negatively affecting your being a member of the AC, then sure, take time off. but if not's affecting you, then screw it... if nothing else, it'll make you more accessible for other people, because they know you from the EZboard. while i don't know the nature of most of the spin-off boards, i'd assume that if you're a good member here, other boards don't matter.

16. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "if nothing else, it'll make you more accessible for other people, because they know you from the EZboard."

Those people can still contact me on AIM or through PM's. I left because I felt it was what needed to be done. I still am on good terms with a lot of the people, and they should know that I am willing to listen.

"while i don't know the nature of most of the spin-off boards, i'd assume that if you're a good member here, other boards don't matter."

In a perfect world, that's how things would work. However, some people here had grudges against other people at the board, and vice versa. There was pressure about having a conflict of interest coming from both sides. I couldn't take it anymore, so I made a decision. I chose the AC, simply because it gives me the opportunity to make a difference here. It wasn't easy, but it had to be done, in order to have the AC have a chance at being successful. I still can interact with most of the people from the other board on the JC, there is nothing stopping me from doing that.

Now, back to work...

17. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    while i don't know the nature of most of the spin-off boards, i'd assume that if you're a good member here, other boards don't matter.

That would be a logical assumption, however, it does not seem to work that way. The JC is my first priority and if I have to give up other things for the sake of the betterment of the JC, then that's how it will be. And as Jeff said, people can still reach me by PM or AIM.

That being said, I'm already excited about the progress we've made in the 2 days we've been at work. The group we have is hardworking and ready to help the JC and its members in any way possible.

18. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Everyone, could we please cut this matter out? Clearly all the new AC members are very dedicated to the JC (and I have to echo what Jeff said - don't cut yourself off from another community just because others feel that there's a conflict of interest). Everything is going fine in the AC; we've put in our due share of work, and whether or not we post at other spin-off forums is not going to make any difference.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    just to add my two cents.
    My initial queery did not specifically relate to the fact that several of the choices were in the same spin off board but more to the fact that they are all {in the terms of the jc anyway} pretty close.
    I thought part of the idea of the AC was to choose a cross section of users and therefore choosing 6/8 who are all pretty close is wrong, regardless of how good their intentions are.

Also, I still need an answer as to the AC scope. Is it just for YJCC or the whole JC, and if so does that include FanForce?

I also hope this isn't the reason the base is down. That would be rather silly.

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    This is mostly for the JC. If you have a problem with a City Rep then go to your RSA. If you have a problem with a RSA please got Hama, Obi Annie or myslef. If your problem has to deal with rules or something that you wouldn't mind opening to the public for discussion then make a thread in FanForce Communications.

21. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Well, I've decided to make a brief appearance here to give my thoughts on this subject. I appreciate Kadue's remark about no one trying to derail this thread with talk of conspiracies, and I will be careful not to do that. However, there are some points that need to be addressed, and since I was a part of the nomination process, I'm going to share my thoughts with you all (for better or for worse).

First of all, I think this is a fine group. I am not very familiar with Valiowk or ReaperFett, but they came highly recommended. Congratulations to all of you for making an impact on the boards and being recognized as people who can effectively contribute to the betterment of the forums.

Now I want to specifically address the high concentration of Dantooine Base members on the AC. As I saw this happening during the nomination process, I recognized the potential for something like this to develop. I tried to mention that I had this concern, but I did so too subtly and ineffectively. My overall disinterest and disenchantment with the goings-on here kept me from pressing the issue further. That is to my discredit.

Why was there any concern at all? As I was a member of the Base, I knew that there was some level of suspicion among the Administration and certain members that the Dantooine Base ezboard was occasionally a breeding ground for trolling and harrassment of people associated with the JC. While I did not like this occasional tendency, it appeared to me to be such a tiny piece of the overall feel of the board that I thought little of it. However, I was aware that past efforts by some at the Base had caused many here to look down upon the members. That had no impact on my decision to continue to post at the Base or associate with its members, as I do not allow the actions of others to define who I am. I enjoy the online company of many at the Base, and many of them are mighty contributors to JC, and they do so positively. But of course, there are some bad apples. There are those who make a personal issue of everything, and there are those who actively work to create drama and trouble at the JC. But as others have mentioned, all those people are here as well! Certainly, that doesn't make the whole of the JC at fault for their actions, does it? Heck, there are some people within the ModSquad that I don't much care for, but it is a mistake (and a mistake that I have made from time to time) to consider the entire ModSquad a collective. They are all individuals with individual personalities and individual motivations. There are many that I do like. And there are some that I would like to punch in the face, but that's neither here nor there.

At any rate, Gay-Len was right to call out this, and she was right to be a little suspicious. But once all realize that the people at the Base are individuals, just like everywhere else, the concern begins to subside.

The real issue was brought up by toochilled. He specifcally addressed the underlying issue that Gay-Len had, though her own experiences led her to focus on a different aspect of it. Let me try to show how all this relates:

The Dantooine Base is essentially a pretty tight-knit group. We all associate with one another regularly via IM, PM, and AOL chat, and of course here at the JC and the DB. What brought us all together in the first place are common interests and goals. Like the AC, many people invited to the Base have been noticed for their contributions in this Communications forum. And quite naturally, people prefer to associate with those with whom they agree. This aspect of the selection process lends itself to some degree of homogeneity.

The point? The point is that Gay-Len and toochilled are right to call out this homogeneity. The people selected for the AC are not to blame. They simply accepted an invitation to do their part to help improve and assist at the JC. The out-going AC can't be blamed, because I was the only one who really recognize

22. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Congradulations :D And that is alot, but I didn't know if there would be another bunch ?[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.