main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AC Update, 18th - 24th Jan

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Anvia_Fett, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm not saying that all discussion of alcohol is wrong. I'm saying that there should be some limits, and it'd be helpful if we were able to receive user input on where the line should be drawn.

I think I gave a clear line above.

What do others think?

2. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    i know, xie, i was defining it in general. 21 is the legal age in the vast majority of the U.S.

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    So Yoda Jeff if you are confessedly ignorant why are you the only mod in here?

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Hi farraday. I'm here.

What would you like me to say?

5. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    PiaS, I'm not saying that all discussion of alcohol is wrong. I'm saying that there should be some limits, and it'd be helpful if we were able to receive user input on where the line should be drawn.

i think dp4m's last post best displays what those limits should be.

6. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm only "ignorant" when it comes to the EU. I don't think one should have to read all of the EU in order to discuss what amount of alcohol-related discussion should be allowed here. I'm posting here because I agree that some alcohol-related discussion should be allowed, and I want to help draw the line on how much is too much. Since you have experience with the EU aspect of Star Wars that I'm "ignorant" about, you can help explain what depth the EU goes into discussing drinking, which hopefully can help everyone who doesn't read the EU decide on what type of alcohol-related discussion should be allowed.

Edit:
    "
    i think dp4mp's last post best displays what those limits should be.
    "

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. :) What does everyone else think about this?

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    You're supposed to say Han made a habit of getting drunk off his behind after Chewie's death in the NJO books.

But you could also point out that the NJO books have contained graphic deaths and a lot of other things that are definitely not kid-friendly.

The EU isn't necessarily the best standard to go by, since the books have been written for an older audience than the Star Wars movies were made for.

8. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Honestly, if there could be a guideline that just said that discussing alcohol offhand or with other users on social threads; and not glorifying alcohol or encouraging younger users to consume it then I think everything would be alright.

Sure I'm not 21 (another 7 1/2 months, but I'm mature enough not to glorify it or encourage consumption), but I still enjoy a casual drink.

9. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd like you to tell us why discussion of alcohol is even an issue since it occurs with great frequency in the EU.

Unless your answer is that the frowning upon any topic related to alcohol has nothing to do with a desire to be family friendly for Star Wars but out of the owners own prejudices and beliefs.

Edit// DLM I'd definately agree the NJO isn't family friendly, so why are we allowed to discuss it?
    Isn't there a bit of hypocracy there?

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    One of the big standards in the past has been, "if it's in Star Wars, it's okay," and vice versa. The EU throws more variables into the mix, and that's where some question marks come in.

11. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Damn that pesky EU. :eek: ;)

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The EU isn't necessarily the best standard to go by, since the books have been written for an older audience than the Star Wars movies were made for

No, it's not.

The NJO (Del Rey) has been, but that's been 1999 onwards. For 22 years the EU was still PG-rated (with the occasional lapse into PG-13) and the Rogues and Wraiths (plus Han, Leia, Luke, Chewie, etc.) used to frequent bars...

EDIT: Plus there are many of us who feel like the shift is not in the best interest of Star Wars or the fans.

13. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Ok no offense, but that was the most shameful plug of a political party on the JC, I have ever seen. There was no need for that.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ok no offense, but that was the most shameful plug of a political party on the JC, I have ever seen. There was no need for that.

//hangs head in shame

But seriously -- for people only looking at the NJO as the entirety of the EU, there were plenty of PG-rated scenes in bars with drinking (the Lando Trilogy springs to mind and that WAS Del Rey!) without it being an alcoholic Han Solo.

15. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    This started out as a discussion as to what kind of discussion of alcohol and drugs should be permissible on the JC (especially the YJCC). Let's not forget those buggy drugs.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This started out as a discussion as to what kind of discussion of alcohol and drugs should be permissible on the JC (especially the YJCC). Let's not forget those buggy drugs.

Right. Drugs ARE illegal (well, the illegal ones anyways ;)) so no discussion about them period.

Threads like The Gatherer started on "What Kind of Anti-Depressants?" are useful for people that want to talk about specific, legal (prescription or non-prescription) drugs. Even an "I LOVE TYLENOL!" thread would probably be okay.

I don't think we can police people who may have a problem with abusing over-the-counter medication (unless they post "I abuse over the counter medication!").

17. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    Let's not forget those buggy drugs.

ok. why is it deemed innappropriate for a person to start a thread talking abut how they kicked their marijuana smoking habit? kicking that habit is a good thing, which i'm sure the person is proud of and wanted to share with people.

18. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Drugs are, for the most part in the USA, patently illegal.

If there is grudging allowance that maybe perhaps it might be okay to talk more about drinking then it's probably to early to suggest drugs be allowed in any fashion....

apart from the EU and fanfic and discussion in Senate.... and possible references to historical figures who used them.... and of course, people throwing away their bongs.

;)

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ok. why is it deemed innappropriate for a person to start a thread talking abut how they kicked their marijuana smoking habit? kicking that habit is a good thing, which i'm sure the person is proud of and wanted to share with people.

Because it was still illegal for them to have done it in the first place?

No matter how "positive" it may be NOW, it's still admission of a criminal act.

20. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    if i talk about about the speeding ticket i recieved then i'm admitting to committing a criminal act. should that not be allowed either?

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    if i talk about about the speeding ticket i recieved then i'm admitting to committing a criminal act. should that not be allowed either?

Misdemeanor vs. felony.

Technically JAYWALKING is illegal as well. So if ripping that tag off the mattress.

22. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Besides... they speed in Star Wars.

And Anakin was DUI!

" Just being around her again is intoxicating."

Wakka wakka wakka.

23. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    Misdemeanor vs. felony.

Technically JAYWALKING is illegal as well. So if ripping that tag off the mattress.

but still illegal.

underage drinking is also a misdemeanor.

24. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Time for me to speak up again, as I'm the person who locked the "so I just destroyed my bong..." thread...

Sure, it's a good thing that this user quit. However, quite a few of the things in that thread such as "what you need now is a bucket of water and a 2litre soda bottle cut in half", "I've never seen anyone take MJ from a bong. What's it like?", and "There's nothing sadder in this world than a bong without a filter." are clearly (in my opinion) inappropriate for a place like this, not to mention that half the replies were similar to "OMG! Where r teh modz?!?!" Most of the comments were related to the use of a bong or marijuana, and not related to people quitting the use of marijuana or bongs.

I'm pretty sure you all know damn well that there's a difference between using illegal drugs and getting a speeding ticket.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wakka wakka wakka.

Hehehe... :)

but still illegal.

Then don't talk about the speeding tickets. Either way, I don't think talk of drug usage -- past or present -- is acceptable here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.