main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AC Update for the Week Ending November 14th

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Dan, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    |Advisory Council Update - Nov. 14, 2002|
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Contents:
    I. Leave of Absence
    II. DVDs and Reimbursements
    III. LucasFilm Projects Reform
    IV. New Forum Idea
    V. Clarification on Former Mod Involvement in the AC
    VI. Hateful Remarks Towards Lucas & Celebrities
    VII. Exit Interviews for Moderators?
    VIII. Point of Discussion

[b]I. [i][color=blue]Leave of Absence[/color][/i][/b]
    [b]Katya Jade[/b] let us know that she is relocating back to the San Francisco Bay area and will be without Internet access for a short while. We're all hoping she has a good time, and we look forward to her return.

[b]II. [i][color=blue]DVDs and Reimbursements[/color][/i][/b]
    It was verified that [b]Josh[/b] would reimburse all TFN staff members and moderators part of the cost of the AOTC DVD if they sent him a receipt. The AC does not find fault in the decision to reimburse the people who volunteer running the JC and who make our experience here as enjoyable as possible. In discussion a range of related and unrelated issues were raised.

[b]III. [i][color=blue]LucasFilm Projects Reform[/color][/i][/b]
    We were asked for input on ways to "resurrect LF Projects from the dead." Discussions did not get very far, outside of some suggestions of bumping old topics and a banner contest. [b]jp-30[/b] is the new, dedicated moderator to the forum, and this discussion has moved to [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9388574&replies=13] this thread[/link] under his guidance.

[b]IV. [i][color=blue]New Forum Idea[/color][/i][/b]
    An idea of a "Geonosis Arena" forum was brought up, in which the board would be dedicated to serious, in-depth discussion of athletics, outdoors discussion (fishing, hunting, biking, etc.) and other physical activities. The ACers generally agreed that the name for the proposed forum was awesome, but the idea itself was lacking.

[b]Darth_AYBABTU[/b] chimed in, noting [i]"We're already at a point where nearly anything of a remotely serious nature in Community is either redirected, locked, or deleted. Another forum for sports would only serve to further limit the available topics for dicussion in Community. And as others have noted, there are hardly enough sports-related topics even attempted here to support another forum."[/i]

[b]V. [i][color=blue]Clarification on Former Mod Involvement in the AC[/color][/i][/b]
    Discussion arose about whether or not we needed to add one or possibly more former-moderators to the three we currently have ([b]farraday, DLM,[/b] and [b]YTAP[/b]). The AC feels that we have adequate input from former-mods. For clarification, it was decided early in our term that the amount of former-mods (if any), who they were, and their vote status would be determined by the new group of ACers when they were given access.

[b]VI. [i][color=blue]Hateful Remarks Towards Lucas & Celebrities [/color][/i][/b]
    [b]JGM[/b] brought up discussion that stemmed from [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9412941&replies=239]this[/link] thread in Communications. We discussed whether or not flaming and insulting should be acceptable with regards to Mr. Lucas and other well-known public figures. The AC is in general agreement that while intelligent criticism is highly encouraged in any case, insulting public figures (such as George W. Bush) is more tolerable than bashing George Lucas (which is still allowed to a degree, although it is frowned upon).

[b]Dark Lady Mara[/b] commented, [i]"I don't see those two statements as the same at all. Flaming Genghis is different from flaming Lucas's daughter because she is a celebrity (or a daughter of a celebrity, anyway, which really makes no difference in the context of this argument). In the context of the law, guidelines for what is libelous are different based on whether the person being discussed is widely-known or not. For exampl

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Nice update. ;)

If you have any suggestions for us that you don't want to state publically, feel free to PM any AC member.

3. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    An idea of a "Geonosis Arena" forum was brought up, in which the board would be dedicated to serious, in-depth discussion of athletics, outdoors discussion (fishing, hunting, biking, etc.) and other physical activities. The ACers generally agreed that the name for the proposed forum was awesome, but the idea itself was lacking.

I think the same thing happened with the Amphitheatre, except someone was so exceedingly impressed by the name that it actually became a forum. Any chance we can reunite the two?

4. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    What do you mean by "insult" public figures?

Could I call Al Gore a "robotic piece of trash", or GWB an "uneducated idiot", and get away with it?

I am curious as to where the line is drawn here.

5. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    The ACers generally agreed that the name for the proposed forum was awesome, but the idea itself was lacking.

I couldn't agree more.

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I don't think the Amphitheatre and the JCC should be reunited. All that will happen is the good threads in the Amphitheatre will be drowned out by all the crap in the JCC. The problem with the JCC is the quality of people posting the topics for discussion.

7. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    good threads in the Amphitheatre will be drowned out by all the crap in the JCC

There wouldn't be nearly as much crap in the JCC if all the good stuff hadn't been siphoned off into Amphitheatre/Senate (some, I agree with the concept of the Senate though)/ and now Geonosis...

8. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Actually, Fate, the Amphitheatre, as a forum, existed before some ubercool sexy dude came up with the name of Amphitheatre.

As for a sports forum, for mine, the biggest factor is that there wouldnt really be the demand for it. There arent really that many sport threads in the JCC to warrant a new forum for them.

I also think that 3 ex-mods is the max number that should be in the AC at any point in time. They are there for their insight, and shouldnt be there in a large enough number as to be any sort of major bloc in the AC.

Exit interviews are ok...I dont know how many mods are expected to be stepping down in the future though?

As for how well you guys are doing your jobs....well, you guys seem fine...but I'd like to have assurances that the administration will be willing to completely open with you....something that is supposed to happen, but hasnt. This is required for optimal AC usage.

Also, what happened to Mod Evaluations? Are you still doing them?
    Are you guys doing the "Random PM" idea that I posted in there before I left?

9. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Actually there would be just as much crap. You're still going to get the same amount of crappy threads being started. A thread in the JCC will last only a fraction of the time the same thread would last in the Amphitheatre. I still think the two forums should stay separate.

10. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Geonosis is still at the concept stage and has been pretty much rejected there.

11. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    There wouldn't be nearly as much crap in the JCC if all the good stuff hadn't been siphoned off into Amphitheatre/Senate (some, I agree with the concept of the Senate though)/ and now Geonosis...

It was almost unanimously agreed that there was no need for the new forum, we just liked the name. To this point there is not a need for a new forum. Perhaps we should have been clearer.

Also, there has been no discussion in the AC about merging the Amphitheatre into the YJCC, nor should there be.

12. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Also, there has been no discussion in the AC about merging the Amphitheatre into the YJCC, nor should there be.

That's good to hear. It would be a shame to kill the Amphitheatre.

13. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Yeah, I don't think it makes much sense to remove a forum that's doubled its posts in just a few short weeks.

14. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Nice job! ;)

~H~

15. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    As this topic was brought up close to the deadline for posting this, there isn't much to comment on. We'll keep you posted.

That means that I will have to keep you posted, because I'm doing the next update. ;) Not Dan, who's washing his hands off this matter now. :D

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    eclipseSD...
    "What do you mean by "insult" public figures?

I am curious as to where the line is drawn here.
    "

The "TOS" (Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct) make no distinction with respect to either the physical location or noteriety of the target.

You should know that if you make a "hateful" comment, you can (but not necessarily will) have some action carried out on your post or your account ranging on one extreme from it being ignored or simply having it read and filed away in memory by some mod somewhere all the way up to being banned from the site on the other extreme. I think it's safe to say that generally the severity and frequency of such posts have the most impact to the response to them.

Also know that it's not just restricted to "hateful" comments, but also ones that are "knowingly false and/or defamatory," "misleading," "inaccurate," "abusive," "vulgar", "harassing," or "obscene" as well.

So, if one is going to generally engage in what can be characterized as "mean-spiritedness," (umbrella description of comments that are hateful, defamatory, misleading, abusive, et. al.) then one shouldn't whine when something happens, whenever it happens (whether after one or a hundred).

Also know that if one is making those types of posts, then know that such a person is not innocent of them simply because they are the only one who got caught. The fact that the administration may or may not have missed other people making similar posts does not excuse such a person from making them. That is, be aware that:
      "The Jedi Council Administration has the right but not the obligation to monitor and/or moderate the Forums, and offers no assurances in this regard."
    As the TOS states,
      "Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us. We have the ability to remove messages and we will make every effort to do so within a reasonable time if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to act immediately. Removal of messages is at the sole discretion of the Administration.
    So, I think all of that can be quickly and easily summarized as "Mean people suck."

...which I suppose can be construed as a hateful thing to say.

17. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    II. DVDs and Reimbursements
    It was verified that Josh would reimburse all TFN staff members and moderators part of the cost of the AOTC DVD if they sent him a receipt.

Does that apply to ex-mods as well? [face_devil]

18. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Generally, Social Scientists confirm that Adolf Hitler is pubically regarded as being not so nice...

Wait a minute? Did I just break the TOS?

Please don't ban me for it!! :_|

I'm so confused!!!!

19. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Nice job! :D

Can we extend those DVD reimbursements to those with a title, also? 8-}

*remembers she doesn't know where her receipt is* D'oh! :D

JPK

20. Anvia_Fett

Anvia_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Nice update.

On the PoD, I think the AC is doing a great job so far, and has definitely helped to strengthen the bridge between the administration and regular users. I personally find that the openness and amount of information publically revealed is satisfactory.

21. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Nice update! Interesting about the DVD thing...I thought it was BS and a mod even told me it was BS.

22. Ken_Palpatine

Ken_Palpatine Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2002
    What if a mod buys it at Best Buy for full price, then brings it back with the Toys R' Us circular and gets back 110% of the price difference, so they wind up paying like $8 for it. Then they submit the first reciept and get the full price back from TFN?

Teh Drama!

23. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    wait a minute?? all that from Dan without one word even typed in l33t sp34k??? no references to Forceboats, snak ataks, or 42??? [face_shocked] What have you monsters done to him??? You've turned him into a model poster, and someone we should look up to and emulate :_|

Seriously, thanks for the update. I think the exit interview thing is a great idea.

and I think Josh and TF.N re-imbursing the Mods for their DVD costs is a wonderful idea, and a great way to say thanks for the work they do here, as volunteers, something many of us forget.

24. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Does that apply to ex-mods as well?

Yes, send me your credit card number and I'll make sure you get it. :D

25. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    What if a mod buys it at Best Buy for full price, then brings it back with the Toys R' Us circular and gets back 110% of the price difference, so they wind up paying like $8 for it. Then they submit the first reciept and get the full price back from TFN?

//is confused

//is thinking about trying to figure this out, and then try it

I'd like to say as well that it is only part of the price.

¤Night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.