main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ACA exchange - Year 2 - Share Your Stories

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    What are the others you're using and do explain why you're completely ignoring GDP.

2. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    DOWN with China.

Also, thanks, Obama. :mad:

Diggy and Lord Vivec like this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm not ignoring GDP. I don't think it's as critical a measure as PPP

China and the U.S. are neck and neck in manufacturing output. China leads the U.S. in energy consumption and in the total volume of exports. in foreign currency reserves, in its balance of trade vis a vis the rest of the world.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I favor the argument that GDP is useless if we want to live in a sustainable world. For example, a good chunk of U.S. GDP growth has been driven by the recent "fracking boom," but this measure doesn't-- and never has-- taken into account the future economic consequences, namely climate change. Fossil fuel extraction will can easily cost the economy more in the long run than the growth it will bring. China's economic growth is probably even worse in these terms. Oh well. [face_coffee]

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

This Austrian export especially:

[​IMG]

6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    is there anyone serious at this point who doesnt acknowledge that GDP is a pretty inadequate indicator? the problem is we're still trying to craft/decide on a better one...

Darth Guy likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

He is not nearly awesome enough for Dutchness.

Vivec, I believe the Chinese economy is larger than the US on PPP, which is basically the only meaningful measure.

EDIT: Just saw second page posts that weren't there before. Whoops.

In any event anyone who is asserting GDP > PPP is just saying that they don't understand economics.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    If PPP was the 'only measure that mattered' you'd expect a bit more of a sputnik moment here.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought GDP and PPP were not mutually exclusive, but one way to measure relative GDP is by using PPP.

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes that's not correct.

Ender Sai likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Vivec - there's vested political interest in the US using its clout to insist on GDP as a standard measurement.
    Even - You're correct in that PPP is a way of measuring GDP, but more accurately it measures non-tradable goods in the domestic market so it gives a better measure of the worth of the economy, currency and citizenry.

Also, Vivec: http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2014/04/daily-chart-19

[​IMG]

UNTIL 1890 China was the world’s largest economy, before America surpassed it. By the end of 2014 China is on track to reclaim its crown. Comparing economic output is tricky: exchange rates get in the way. Simply converting GDP from renminbi to dollars at market rates may not reflect the true cost of living. Bread and beer may be cheaper in one country than another, for example. To account for these differences, economists make adjustments based on a comparable basket of goods and services across the globe, so-called purchasing-power parity (PPP). New data released on April 30th from the International Comparison Programme, a part of the UN, calculated the cost of living in 199 countries in 2011. On this basis, China’s PPP exchange rate is now higher than economists had previously estimated using data from the previous survey in 2005: a whopping 20% higher. So China, which had been forecast to overtake America in 2019 by the IMF, will be crowned the world's pre-eminent country by the end of this year according to The Economist’scalculations. The American Century ends, and the Pacific Century begins.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Vivec seems to like it and he pretends to be serious

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    If we're at the point where you're going to just not at all read my posts, I'll post them again.
    What's the central theme to these? That there are multiple indicators and that you shouldn't have your mouth glued to the crotch of one.

But hey I guess it's easier to win arguments if you make the other person's point for them.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    However, PPP is effectively a per capita measurement... :p

15. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    gdp is bunk

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

When they round me up, that's your cue to head out.

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    actually they come for me first. going by niemoller's account, anyways

18. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    why do you care so much about the US's perceived supremacy in the world anyway? jabba's original post clearly represents the current and future trend, not to mention that it was... you know, a joke.

i mean, "Now that the U.S. is no longer the largest economy in the world in terms of PPP (although, to not appear disingenuous -- not in terms of PPP per capita, GDP, and GDP per capita), it's so much harder to make arguments about how awesome we are despite our general lack of awesomeness"... doesn't quite have the same comedic timing, really.

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm probably the last person associated with patriotism, but if you're going to do the anti-america circlejerk, at least do it right.

20. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    there was more to my last post than just that first sentence, you know.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    There was only one question in that post.

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Just to put my ACA premiums into context:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-going-up-at-the-same-rate-as-everyone-elses/

So I guess if I simply renew, the plan goes up a whopping 18%, but if I shop around for a comparable alternative on the exchange I should be able to limit the increase to <5% ?

I guess I'll be testing this out over the weekend. That's a bit disconcerting if the lesson is that no one can keep their plan for more than a year unless they're comfortable with being completely soaked.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/af...increase-10-to-15-percent-in-florida/29778050

alternatively, I can simply move my family every year to whatever county in whatever state has seen the lowest premium increases.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-pa-blue-cross-obamacare-premiums-1117-20141117-story.html

see how helpful it is to have good, publicly available national data on premium prices? It makes us better consumers knowing that we can keep our health costs down so long as we make it the all consuming myopic goal of our existence. Transparency is everything.

23. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    yay "competition"!!!

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I feel like I'm pretty much on exactly the same train I was on with my family on a pre ACA employer plan, riding the locomotive (loco-motive in the sense of being driven by pure crazy) of declining benefits and increasing premiums all the way down to the logical end point of paying out 100% of my discretionary income for the privilege of completely self-insuring my own healthcare.

At the end of the day, I really shouldn't complain. Pay As You Go plus catastrophic coverage is affordable for my family, with the caveat that health care costs shouldn't be rising several times faster than the increases in my household income. If it's about dishing out no less than what we can take, then the U.S. healthcare system is working just fine for me and my family.

The advantage of the ACA is still significant for us - I'm no longer chained to a single employer out of fear that any move will result in the loss of my wife's ability to get health care coverage. She can get her own health insurance at any time, so long as the law is not appealed. It still makes it all worthwhile.

25. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I really, really detest how certain things work in the US healthcare market. The employer thing is one of them. Personally, I think we should make health insurance coverage taxable. I don't think that would ever get through, because people would rage about how it's a tax increase, people need healthcare, it just makes healthcare more expensive for everyone. However, if employers were not required to offer health care coverage, and there was no tax benefit for taking health care coverage through your employer, then there would be a lot more people on the individual market, and people wouldn't be beholden to their employer for coverage.

Employers would also be able to give people higher hourly wages and higher salaries. Furthermore, it would give incentives for companies to take full time employees rather than capping employee hours.

Single payer, coincidentally, would solve all of this, and be much cheaper.