main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Austin,TX Academy Awards and Lucas

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by DarthAttachyon1, Mar 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAttachyon1

DarthAttachyon1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2003
    Hey Folks, I just finished watching the Academy awards, and it looks like Lucas and his companies got NO awards this year! Suddenly it seems like Industrial Lights and Magic has run out of steam and Australia's WETA teams have struck and continue to strike paydirt. Although I liked the Gollum effects in the Two Towers, I really thought ILM had the effects beat in the Geonosis Battle. I mean, Gollum is just one guy (Who looks like he needs more than just ONE sandwich and ONE session of Therapy) but that battle was Chock full of donuts (oops) Full of the most exacting detail and Artistic endeavour. I say ILM should have gotten that award, how long would it have taken the Weta guys to do the same Geonosis Battle? I feel lately that ILM has lost some favor with audiences, am I wrong? I still believe they are highly capable. Does anyone know what Lucas Himself has to say about WETA?

2. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    I don't know about that Tony, the two were both very good... yeah, I thought Treebeard was kinda sketchy.... but WETA did do a fantastic job otherwise and Gollum was pretty damn awesome... unbelieveable... hell so was Yoda... I guess I can chalk it up to a close race.... but I do believe that the Academy is anti-Star Wars, ILM should at least get credit for what they do so well and YES the Clone-Trooper Geonosis battle was spectacular. [face_devil]

3. lady_luciendar

lady_luciendar Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2002
    the academy has always been anti fantasy and sci fi as long as its existed. i think ep3 and more so lotr really kicked the teeth in of most other films like spiderman and men in black... even so... movies that are often worshiped by these hollywood rich old men are nothing less than a cheesy(chicago) or boring story (the hours).... not to mention most of the actors in star wars and lord of the rings are mostly actors that are under rated and are very talented (ewan, viggo, john r. davies only to name a few) granted nicole kidman very well deserved her award, when it came to sound tracks, cg, sound, and all other awards that arent considered "the popular ones" are where the real hard working people get their credit. takes more time and effort by someone creating a cd image than just putting a costume and memorizing a couple words....

my opinion tho... ofcourse when it comes to giving awards to sw and lotr... leave it to the real critics and voters of the mtv movie awards... we'll see who made a better impression between yoda, gollum, and the little elf thing in harry potter... err what was it called??

4. jedimelis

Nov 5, 2002
    WE all know that the voters in "THE ACADEMY" are a bunch of snooty industry people who can no longer find work and that the real praise should come from the real audience... the people of the world. Deep down Lucas and Jackson and people know this.... But it just gets tiring that the Academy cannot focus on revolutionary special effects vs. so-so effects.

5. jedimelis

Nov 5, 2002
    Let me rephrase.... Everyone knows ILM and WETA are going to produce revolutionary special effects.... and the Academy seems to have a problem in awarding obvious choices... excluding Michael Moore of course...dude you were awesome!!! It seems as if the Academy itself is like the government, at times I doesn't do the obvious and its goal is to piss everyone off and serve its own interests.

6. lady_luciendar

lady_luciendar Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2002
    i think the academy awards catered to the needs of the american society...they dont wanna give awards to dark and "evil" movies. i'm not against the war nor am i for it ... i'm not anti bush... i'm pro bring back clinton... lol

my point is i think the oscar people are too uptight and dont wanna offend the people paying them to vote for chicago. ugh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.