main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Academy Awards Nomination and Reaction

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Masterkyp44, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masterkyp44

Masterkyp44 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    I was surprised....well not really since it's the academy awards....that ep2 wasn't nominated for a couple more. It should have at the least been nominated for sound as well. I mean come on!!! Spiderman was nominated for sound...are you kidding? what sound was cool in spiderman? Ep2 has some of the most amazing sound of any movie. Though I guess I should be used to the academy awards nominating crappy movies.

YJ edit: Edited title
    YJ edit 2: I think we're done discussing thie Academy Awards here.

2. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Yeah, that was a bit strange. Of course Spider-Man also beat out Minority Report in the VFX category, so I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

3. Masterkyp44

Jul 20, 2002
    yeah the academy awards is such a sham...Chicago is up for everything...horrid movie.

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Spiderman... *sigh* You have got to be kidding me...

5. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Actually I liked Chicago, but my big oscar hopeful this year is that Bowling for columbine ins bet documentary, as far as I'm concerned it should win best picture.

As for the visual FX this is how I feel, personally I'm glad spideramn beat minority report, part of me thinks Blade2 should have been nominated instead of aptc, only because it had some new techniques, where as aotc really just took the inovations of TPm and followed through with them 100 fold, and to great affect.

I definitly think TPM should of beat the matrix back in 1999, but I think in this case I like the TTT FX more then the ones in AOTC, they were jsut a bit more seemless and Gollum was really well done, plus I like that part with the horses at the end.

But AOTC most definitly has great FX, and I do think TPM got robbed.

6. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Lord of the Rings got the oscar last year. So they should give it to AOTC this year. Then next year they can give it to ROTK or one of the Matrix films if they want too.

Hey which Matrix film will recive the nomination? They can't nominate both can they? They might cancel each other out. If they nominate both they will just give it to ROTK.

AOTC should have been nominated for

Sound
    Sound Effects Editing
    Costume
    Art Direction
    Make-up
    Score
    Set Design

Plus a special oscar for Digital Yoda.

7. Zombie_Monkey

Zombie_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2003
    Spiderman... *sigh* You have got to be kidding me...

And yet, it will probably win (unless the Academy has been hoodwinked by two ugly towers a bunch of ridiculous trees).

AOTC certainly deserved a nomination. And I'm actually surprised that it got one, considering what happened in 2000.

-ZM

8. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    TTT will beat spiderman

I'm really confused about the make-up noms, where is TTT, and AOTC and blade2??

perhaps sequels are not eligble, I know as of next year sequels will not be eligible for best musical score.

9. Zombie_Monkey

Zombie_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2003
    TTT will beat spiderman

If that happens, then the Academy is truly dead. ;)

Seriously, though . . I think Spider-Man will take the FX statue home. Not because it deserves it, but because it was the highest grossing film of the year, and Hollywood loves to reward its champions. Besides, LOTR already took home a little guy for FX last year. Hollywood also likes to spread the wealth around.

-ZM

10. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I'm really confused about the make-up noms, where is TTT, and AOTC and blade2??

The Make-up category (like the Sound and Visual Effects categories) is done by committee. Each film submits competition tapes for the first round, and the committe votes on a scale of 1-10. To go on to the next round, the film must get an average of 8. There's then another round, which must be rounded down to 3 nominees, or less. For some reason that I do not understand, they don't allow more than 3 nominees for those three categories.

For T2T, the film was deemed inelligible for Make-Up and Score because it was judged that it was the same body of work as the previous year.

11. Masterkyp44

Jul 20, 2002
    You all have to agree that AOTC should have been nominated for sound...right??!?!?! Ben Burt (sp?) is one of the best guys in the sound business, and he did an amazing job on ep2.

Rebel that's your opinion on TTT being more seemless. In my opinion AOTC looked much better in the VFX area. It was much more seemless and Yoda blew gollum away. I cringed during several scenes with gollum becuase they looked so fake. DOn't get me wrong the actor did amazing for gollum, but the effects just weren't on par with AOTC IMHO.

12. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I hope Spider-man does not win the Oscar. If AOTC loses I whould rather it lose to TTT which had good effects. Not as good as AOTC or but better then Spider-man.

13. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "For T2T, the film was deemed inelligible for Make-Up and Score because it was judged that it was the same body of work as the previous year."

so did that happen with AOTC as well? I can kind of see the arguement with TTT, but with AOTC it makes no sense, though I guess there was no real new make up in AOTC that wasn't in TPM.

But still Blade 2 got completley shafted for make up.

What did Frida have? They gave salma hayek a uni-brow. And the time machine had terrible make up.

"You all have to agree that AOTC should have been nominated for sound...right??!?!?! Ben Burt (sp?) is one of the best guys in the sound business, and he did an amazing job on ep2."

I don't thinkt he sound was as impressive as its been in previous outings.

"Rebel that's your opinion on TTT being more seemless."

Obviously :p

But on Oscar night we'll find out if hte academy agrees.

Actually I have a bit of inside info on this one as I recently met Colin Chilvers the oscar winnign FX artist who made Superman fly, he let me hold his oscar and he was saying how he is on the oscar FX commity and he helped pick the nominees, he couldn't stop talking about how wowed he was by TTT, so I'd say its not unlikely it will win.

I think it should, it had a lot of great FX and only one truly awful one, the wargs.

AOTC also had several great FX, but it also had some very medicore ones, and some that were quite poor.

14. Masterkyp44

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah I agree rebel AOTC shoulda been nominated for make up. Also shoulda been nominated for costume, but the academy only puts sci-fi movies in if they have to. They tend to shun star wars.

I agree gobi-1. If AOTC is gonna lose I'd rather it lose to TTT not spiderman.

15. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    somebody asked whether next year both Matrix sequels could be nominated and the answer is "yes", even though the people waorking on both films are the same. Academy rules state that in all but 5 categories is is the FILM that is nominated (not the people behind it) while in 5 categories (the 4 acting categories plus Best Director) is is the PERSON who's nominated. That's why for example two actors from the same film can be nominated in the same category but no person can be nominated more than once in one category. In all other areas it's the film that gets nominated which means that the same person could be nominated more than once ina year. There was actually one year in the Eighties where Richard Edlund was a nominee for all 3 nominated Effects films so he knew beforehand that he was going to win.
    So yes, Matrix 2 and 3 can both be nominated but I suspect that only one will eventually make it due to split votes

16. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Yeah, they both can technically be nominated but I seriously doubt the Academy will do so. They'll just pick one.

I think TTT had better FX work than Spidey, myself.

17. Masterkyp44

Jul 20, 2002
    There's no doubt that TTT has better VFX than spiderman, but it remains to be debated that TTT has better VFX than AOTC. IMHO AOTC blows TTT out of the water in the VFX departmen.

18. Arwen_Solo

Arwen_Solo Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2003
    I hope Aotc gets the Oscar. It's more than deserving. :)

19. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Actually, wouldn't AOTC be better served by NOT winning or even being nominated? I don't know about any of you...but I don't put very much stock in "popularity contest" award shows.

20. Masterkyp44

Jul 20, 2002
    that's a very good point devilanse.

21. jedifollower

jedifollower Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2003
    Maybe it's just the fact that science ficton movies aren't as popular as they used to be. When the the last time that a Star Wars movie did really well at the Academy awards?

22. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    ANH was up nominated for best picture and a lot of other stuff, I think ESB and ROTJ were nominated and won for technical stuff, and about 10 years ago GL recieved a life time achievement award for his considerable contributions to the motion picture industry and art, they had people on the space shuttle present the award live via satelite while they floated around in zero gravitiy.

It was pretty cool.

23. Clonetrooper1000

Clonetrooper1000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2003
    ANH was nominated for 10 oscars winning 6 of them, plus a special achievment award for Ben Burtt.

ESB was nominated for 3 and won 2 of them, plus a special achievment award for the visual effects

ROTJ was nominated for 4, won none. However, it again recieved a special achievment award for the visual effects.

There was no visual effects oscar at the time.

24. bigheadwookie

bigheadwookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2003
    The academy is a load of bull. for one, Spiderman didn't deserve crap. I didn't really care for the movie. It messed up the entire comic storyline. (though M.J. was hot)

I almost fell out when i saw that ep II wasn't in that much. I mean, come on! It's apart of the best set of movies in the world!

25. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "The academy is a load of bull. for one, Spiderman didn't deserve crap. I didn't really care for the movie. It messed up the entire comic storyline. (though M.J. was hot)"

But its not the comic, its a movie, new continuity, same is true of all comic book movies. I liked it, I know many of you didn't but I got what I wanted from a spiderman movie, though greengoblins non moving mask sucked and could've been much better. Still I think the FX nomination is deserved, it was cool to see spidey swing around the city, a big thrill on the big screen.

"I almost fell out when i saw that ep II wasn't in that much. I mean, come on! It's apart of the best set of movies in the world!"

But is the OScars are BS then what does it matter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.