main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Academy of Yom" Final Poster Finished!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JoeSunrider, Oct 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Look what I did for Kid Wars

[image=http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap/kidwars/kidwars.jpg]

If I can do that out of video footage of children... you can do better with this.

I suggest:

1. Move big guy to center top, make him bigger so he is like the top focal point, just like my head is on the "kid wars" poster. That he is "behind" but "bigger" and doesnt work perspectivally... is irrelevant.

2. The group of 3 with sabres... are they on the same layer, or separate? If separate. move the choick to middle, move the right guy up... that way you will have three sabre-lines pointing at one spot in the center, giving a focus to the image.

3. The top right two people... flip either ones image horizontally and place on either side of big guy... also blown up fairly large.

4. For the rest of the peeps.... scale them down... in proportion to their roles.

5. Get a background of some sort, if even only a gradient fill, or a starfield, or anything.

6. Soften them thar edges, eugene!

Just my 2 cents. How big is the PSD file w. all layers if you .ZIP it?

/Z

2. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    Zap, it's exactly 1 meg zipped.

Thanks for the input, guys. This is really helpful.

3. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    Mail it to me at zap (at) master-zap.com and I see what I can come up with... WARNING: I do not even pretend to know what I'm doing ;) I simply happened to make something decent by accident :)

/Z

4. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    Well, would you rather have the PSD, or the individual pictures that I have?

EDIT: How much of Kid Wars happened by accident? :p Next you'll be saying "A camera just kinda fell from the sky into my hand and started filming..."

:p I kid, I kid.

5. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    Either way works... if you think you have butchered up the individual pics too much when you put 'em into the PSD, then feel free to send me separate pics. If you think you will save me time by sending med the PSD, feel free to ;)

And how much of KidWars happened by accident? A stupidly large amount! Or by kids spur-of-the-moment creativity. Heck, if you *really* want to know that... check the "behind the scenes" thing. (Spoo gonna kill me now, methinks ;) )

/Z

6. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    You should put these links in your sig so that they are always there. You'll save a great amount of your time. ;)

7. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    Zap, you got mizzail!

8. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    I got it. Dont expect miracles. I am *not* a designer. I just play w. photoshop ;)

/Z

9. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    Yeah, but you seem to have more luck in your projects than the rest of us do. :)

10. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    "in my experience there is no such thing as luck" ;)

/Z

11. MattesKrymsod

MattesKrymsod Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    How true that is, Zap.

12. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Damnit Zap, stop plugging your movies at every turn :D

I say that but then what would you be without your halarious, IMHO, plugs. ;)

13. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I never said I would kill you, I just recalled someone else making the threat.

14. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    Here's a 1st try:

[image=http://w1.164.telia.com/~u16402588/yom3.jpg]

The text bit needs to be added at the bottom.

Good? Bad? I dunno.

I repositioned the angle of the sabres to give a focal point to the image... had to do some cutting/turning/pasting of hands and hilts to do it but... a mans gotta do etc. ;)

/Z

15. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Here is my effort

There are so many people you want in the picture, it's difficult to know where to put them all, and still retain a nice composition...

[image=http://www.stormahead.com/images/AcademyofYom.jpg]

Click here for the poster on a page

EDIT: Hey Zap I didn't see your post. Cool, interesting that we both decided to sit the girl on top of the type AND mess around with the sabre angles... :)

16. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    Great Minds think alike! (i.e. mostly about sex)

Here's an update w. color changes and I made big guy slightly glowy.... perhaps he is "one-ish" with the force I dunno ;)

[image=http://w1.164.telia.com/~u16402588/yom4b.jpg]

I must say I liked what you did, Daft... silly me didnt think of flipping the whole group to make the girl sit on the text better....!! Smart move ;)

/Z

17. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    Wow. You guys DID do better.

Daft - I really like yours, my only nit-pick is that when you flipped the group, it kinda throws things off, like parts in Amanda and Matt's hair, and my Padawan braid is on the wrong side. I would just switch Quan (goatee guy) with Dek (guy with glasses) so he's next to Starsha (Asian girl) for story purposes. Very, very nice.

Zap - I like what you've done with the secondary characters. It's weird seeing Matt hold his saber like that, because it's not his trademark "style" (he holds it with both hands in the same direction), but still, very nice.

I'll probably wind up re-taking the main 4 picture so Amanda is laying the other direction and we can organize our sabers better. Thanks for that, gentlemen. It gives me a lot better idea of what to do.

18. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    Whats funny is the striking similarity between what I and Daft did. Does that mean I'm daft? ;)

/Z

19. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    Now that you mention it, I HAVE never seen the two of you together at the same time...

20. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I like what Daft did in adding a background image. The flat black just doesn't work for me, and the image just breaks up the monotony of the unused space.

21. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    Yeah. Daft, you wouldn't be willing to send that PSD my way, would you?

Zap and Daft, both of you, I have decided, will get special thanks in our film. I was really having a problem with this, and you helped a lot. Thanks.

22. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    Whats funny is, that that spaceship was actually part of the background of the file I was sent... so Daft was simply lazy and DIDNT paint it out...

Of course as you see in my 1st attempt I originally had the faces up there... but it yeilded a wierd "shape" of the whole composition (sorta triangle but hourglass-ish) which I didnt like so I moved the faces down and got more of a "triangular" composition.... which I kinda preffered.

But in general, I think Dafts one w. my "fix" of the lightsabre angles would be perfect... I really like how all lightsabres in my pic focus in on that girl draped across the floor... I have no clue if she is important enough to merit that focus, but hey :)

/Z

23. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I think if you add a star field in the background and s light-source with a lens flair it would enhance the poster and make it more coherent with the star wars universe.

P.S. Off topic, the girl in white on her side, does she do modeling?

24. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Here is the photoshop file to do what you want with (I used stuffit to make the file smaller) and honestly don't worry about the credit, I just wanted to mess around with it becuase it was difficult to explain what I meant without showing you - plus it was a great way to procrastinate on a very uninteresting job I was meant to be doing first thing this morning. :)

EDIT: so Daft was simply lazy and DIDNT paint it out...

Oy -that's not true! :) As Spoo said, I felt the stark black background looked a little odd on it's own, and luckily that top shot came with an X-Wing in the background which was ideal as something to break up the blandness.

25. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Great job at the efforts :)

My only nitpick is teh quality of teh images changes from person to person. Maybe a filter coudl make it look a little more uniform.

Great work though guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.