main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Accents, Music and Perspectives of a Beginner

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Twilek_Aide, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Twilek_Aide

Twilek_Aide Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2002
    Last year I was fed up with Star Wars because it was all about war, humans were the main characters, although there were hundreds of aliens - most were just back ground decorations with a little or no speaking lines, there was a lack in inter-species romance and diplomatic missions on other worlds. All this didn't help me, a fanfic writer - trying to write about twi'lek culture. Managing but needing more resources but not getting any. I wished Star Wars was more like Star Trek Voyager. Then after reading information of TCW online, I had to buy the boxset. So I did, last weekend. And lets just say, it's everything that's missing from the six films. I love it! The only thing I don't like is Aayla Secura's accent. Her *slight* french accent makes her sound mature, whereas in the comics she was impish and playful. Maybe it was just me but I felt she was everything but mature. She had her moments of reflection about her species and her life, which through my perspective was shown nicely by her softness almost tear-jearking look in her eyes. She was clearly intelligent, graceful and fast thinking. I imagined her to have the same accent as Mission Vao or an exotic sounding accent aka one of accents from Asia.

However if we ignore Aayla and concerntrate on her people. You'll find that I've warmed up to the french accent used by Orn Free Taa, Numa, Cham and the resistance fighters. I think it suits the males alot. The only thing is I can't picture Bib Fortuna with a french accent. I can imagine him with an a Italian accent aka the Broken Sword PC Game portrait of the accent representing the maffia.

I love Numa, she's adorable. I love her little accent but love her even more that she speaks ryl and no basic. She's sooooo cute! And yayee to the clothing, it's about time we saw them in native modest dress. Oh and as a bonus; the twi'lek resistance dance, we find out what their native music is like and we see more purple twi'leks! The galaxy is lacking purple and pink twi'leks! It's about time, they were shown. I'm so happy!

Oh and I love the different ethnic music for each alien world and the dance styles. It's really great to see these worlds aren't vague anymore. Yes I even don't mind that Ryloth isn't tidal locked anymore. It means that twi'leks can walk in the sun now, in the brightlands. This is gonna do wonders for my fan fic.

Ahsoka is my favourite jedi in this series so far.

Right so the Weequay's music is bollywood, correct? And if I'm not mistaken when a Weequay danced upon the table, it was Russian dancing? What accents did they have? I was trying to make it out but couldn't. Senator Chuchi, it sounded like she had an Australian accent. Is that true? In the cave on Ryloth, males and females of the twi'lek resistance dance in a group, whilst Cham and Mace talk in a balcony above them. The music sounds tribal and upbeat. It has a drum roll and there's a female singer. What type of music is that? What country does it come from?

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Your post makes me remember how great Season 1 was.

3. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    I can't help you on the music questions I'm afraid, but I can tell you that Chuchi and her fellow Pantorans speak with South African, rather than Australian, accents; though admittedly to non-South Africans / non-Australians the accents can sound remarkably similar.

4. Twilek_Aide

Apr 21, 2002
    Ah-ha! That explains it. Thank you.

5. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Seriously? How in the world could Star Wars be improved by being more like Star Trek Voyager?

Just so you have an idea of my prejudices, when I was younger I perceived some imaginary feud between Star Wars and Star Trek and due to my fanatic love of Wars never gave Trek a chance. When I got older I gained an appreciation for the more substantive, social issues addressed in Star Trek and became a pretty loyal fan as well. But Voyager is at the absolute bottom of my list, it's the only Star Trek series I'm really not a fan of. So I'm kind of lost as to how Star Wars would be better if it were more like Voyager!

6. Twilek_Aide

Apr 21, 2002
    I've tried to type my response to your post three times and I can't. It's too complex to explain now, because my feelings towards SW have changed for the better since watching TCW. All I know is I was going through a phase where I was questioning my fan-ship towards Star Wars, because members of these forums were complaining at the fact that I said I liked a certain character or species but at same time was able to rant about them. To find out more read this thread (start from the first page, then read the seond): http://boards.theforce.net/star_wars_community/b10012/30860953/p1

Then one thing led to another and I realised what "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" literally meant when compared. And then I thought about what they were lacking. Anyway, the important thing is I've gotten over my phase. I'm still a big fan of Star Wars, I love all films, most of the eu and my new obsession: TCW. Case closed. Why don't you like Voyager? My list goes: Deep Space Nine, Voyager, First Contact film, Next Generation, Enterprise, Original.

Please could someone still answer my questions in my first post though - if you know anything.

7. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Took a closer look at your questions. While I don't know about the music playing during Cham and Mace's meeting, I believe you're right in thinking the Weequay music was Indian.

Weequays, as a whole, are portrayed with something of a Cockney English accent. However, the leader of a band of pirates, Hondo Ohnaka (voiced by the excellent Jim Cummings :D) speaks with something of a middle eastern-ish accent. It's supposedly meant to resemble Ricardo Montalban, who played Khan in The Wrath of Khan.

8. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    @Twilek_Aide

Haha well our orders are almost exact opposite. For me it's a three-way tie between the original, The Next Generation, and Enterprise, then Deep Space Nine, then Voyager. I absolutely love the idea of a group of characters in the future travelling on a spaceship to discover new worlds where they confront and address social problems similar to those in their "past" (our present), pointing out the barbarisms of our times in clever, (sometimes) subtle ways. That's why the series that actually do that are all tied for my favorite, I just love that concept and all the series that utilized it did so in different ways and each with their own advantages over the others. I don't like Voyager because without that foundation, moral and social questions aren't addressed nearly as frequently, and when they are it's much less direct. I wasn't crazy about Deep Space Nine for the same reasons but they seemed to have more way-out-there weird science-fiction ideas so I wound up enjoying more of those episodes than the Voyager episodes I saw, but I wasn't crazy about either so I never went out of my way to watch whole seasons like I did the others. There just seemed to be way too much over-dramatic dialogue and not enough substantive social issues (the whole reason I got into Trek to begin with).

9. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Wait till you hear a Twi'lek with a Texan accent.
    You have excellent taste.=D=

10. Twilek_Aide

Apr 21, 2002
    That's why I like Star Trek. Deep Space Nine attracted me because the characters were well-developed and it had recurring characters. Unlike the other shows, it went into good and evil religion-wise. I liked everything about Deep Space Nine. Plus they were on a space station, that was full of life. There were children, families, officers, merchants, medics - you name it and most of them were aliens.

I'm not gonna lie to you, it was The Borg that attracted me to Voyager! Same with Next Generation and First Contact. Seven of Nine made the Voyager crew and Naomi Wildman much more interesting! I tried to go back and watch the earlier seasons but without Seven, it was sooooooo boring. Oh and I only like episodes of Next Generation that feature; Lore, Data, Picard, Third of Five, Geordie and The Borg. First Contact made me like Wolf, Will, Diana and of course, The Borg Queen.

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    whatever it is i like it=D= - i forgot it when we talked about TCW-music in some thread... that Weequay- music is awesome....

would be absolutely funny to see someone in TCW talking with finnish accent though- but that is hard without any finnish actors it's not that easy to pretend as french accent for example... well there is Kalevala and EU knows "Teräskäsi" so surprisingly much finnish stuff in SW already-[face_peace] someone even claimed Watto and Sebulba talk finnish in TPM "Kiitos" (Thank you!) and "Ole hyvä" (You're welcome) but that doesn't really sound like it should....

12. Twilek_Aide

Apr 21, 2002
    Now that I'm looking forward to. :)

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    guy who spoke was Dee Bradley Baker (Voice of clones and 50 per cent of all background characters) so you won't hear anything new- just Dee Bradley with overacted Texan accent -it's not really worth of waiting for I would say....

14. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Anything that Dee Bradley Baker does is GOLD. :p

15. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Disagreed- nothing personal against him -but he always sounds similar and it ruins many episodes for me when clones are talking everywhere- and he don't even sound like Temuera at all....