main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Accents of 'The Clone Wars'

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthPhilosopher, Feb 20, 2011.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Discussion in the ?Plo Koon Discussion Thread? got me thinking about the accents we have heard in the characters. It seems we have covered most corners of the globe... however we haven?t seemed to even touch the distinct accents of Central Europe.

Scottish/English: Obi-Wan
    English: Ki-Adi Mundi, Tarkin, Yularen
    French: Aayla Secura, Orn Free Taa (etc)
    Russian: Even Piell
    American/Canadian: Anakin Skywalker (unsure about this... always thought he had a slight Canadian accent in the Prequels at least)
    American: Ahsoka, Mace Windu
    Australian/New Zealand: Clone Troopers, Jango, Boba
    Jamaican: Kit Fisto
    Narrator/Neutral: Plo Koon (can?t really hear a distinct accent)
    Indian: Eeth Koth
    Irish/American: Qui-Gon Jinn
    Spanish/Latin America: Shaak Ti
    Chinese/Japan: Nute Gunray (don?t shoot me for this. It does kind of sound like it, whilst I don?t think it is a stereotype)
    Irish: Lurmen

But where is that classical German/Austrian accent? It would be great on a Republic Admiral or even a Jedi...

Anyway discuss the accents which we have heard or we should hear...

2. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Nuvo Vindi had a very distinct German accent (his whole character was a pastiche of the German evil genius stereotype) and although he was one of the less serious characters in TCW I quite liked Michael York's voice-acting for him. Also, I seem to remember Admiral Dao (from Supply Lines) having a bit of an Austrian tint to his voice.

And Yularen most definately has an English accent; he's the quintessential British officer archetype! :p

3. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Yeah, I enjoyed Michael York's take on Vindi even if the character concept wasn't as big. XD

Always imagined Dao was Spanish, oddly enough. :p

Oh, and while it caused several people to cringe, Bannamu, the Patrolian from Lightsaber Lost, has an incredibly thick stereotypical Italian accent. [face_laugh]

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Changed Yularen.

Regarding Vindi ? I had totally forgotten about that character. I was thinking more along the lines of a deep German accent... but then again I just remember that is Grievous...

Still a ?human? officer of some type would be great to have a German accent (never really heard it in Dao?s voice in my opinion, but then again haven?t watched that episode in a while).

5. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    There's also that very cool bald Corellian space buccaneer Republic Admiral with the chinstrap beard who's got a distinctly Scottish accent. He was abducted by Aurra Sing, Bossk and Boba Fett in the previous season (and deserves a rematch to avenge himself for those bitch slaps, and... anything else she did to him [face_sick] :_|). That's the kind of character we need to see more of. The people running the show have been known not to waste character models and voice actor talents, so I'm betting we'll see him again. What I'd really like to see would be this guy resurfacing in the Rebel Alliance. Maybe in The Force Unleashed III? Oh, I've taken this too far... :oops: :-B

Yeah, so he has a Scottish accent. [face_plain]

6. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Yeah, that was Admiral Killian, voiced by Julian Holloway, who was also Prime Minister Almec. Reminds me of Rahm Kota for some reason.

According to Jon Favreau, Death Watch seems to speak with a New York accent. Of course, he was joking in a behind the scenes vid, but I thought I'd throw that in. Plus, it could be a distinct protest against the posh British that the New Mandalorians seem to have. :p

And Narrator should totally be listed as an accent. [face_laugh]

7. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    I think you might be on to something there, koonfan. Now 'Corruption' makes sense; they're setting up the tea as an important plot device for a future episode where the Death Watch dump it all into the harbour, igniting the Ameri-ahem, Mandalorian Revolution.

8. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Great. Now we need an artist to make a Mandalorian Revolution poster. Or, photoshop colonial outfits onto character models. [face_laugh]

I think Ima-Gun Di has some sort of accent that's not common American or British. Is it Spanish, I wonder?

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, King Katuunko and Chairman Chi Cho have vaguely African accents. I think Chi Cho was given that on purpose and recalls the South African apartheid times.

9. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Yes, Chairman Cho definetly had a South African accent, they even commented on it.

And General Loathsom had a scottish accent, didn't he?

I wonder if we'll ever get a South American latin accent, spanish or portuguese. I don't think I could take such a character seriously.

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Hayden is Canadian, but Matt Lanter sounds fully American. Just a generic version of it.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Cool list -- the voices of TCW have definitely been a highlight to this show.

I suppose we can add Shmi Skywalker as our Swedish representative.

And might I suggest placing Plo Koon under the wise-old-guy/Gandalfian accent? :p

12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Synthetic voice #40

13. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    We're all forgetting about C-3PO's British accent.

14. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Did he ever! When Corey Burton first threw that one out, everyone started calling Loathsom Mr. Scott.
    To make it worse, Corey's delivery was inconsistant (in his SW:TCW film work). During the Obi-wan/Loathsom
    negotiations, Loathsom starts out sounding, "Hoot man, I canna 'gree to tha terms, Kenobi," yet by the time
    he's been fooled, he's all growls. It wasn't Corey's fault, though...when it comes to voices, no one at LF is
    trying to be Pixar, but that's another story.

Nika Futterman does this with Asajj Ventress. Sometimes she throws so much Russian on Ventress, I expect her
    to start calling Anakin and Ahsoka, "Moose and Squirrel, Moose and Squirrel!"

Any ideas on Mother Talzin and company?

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And Palpatine, can't forget about him.

16. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Mustn't forget, though I'd like to: Italian fish dude from "Lightsaber Lost".

17. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Ouch, yeah, Fish-Mario. Yuck.

And Mother Talzin was definetly romanian.

18. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    The pacifists from "Jedi Crash"/"Defenders of Peace" were either Scottish or Irish, pretty sure it was Scottish since they reminded me of Scotty from Star Trek and I'm pretty sure his accent was Scottish.

19. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Oh no, the lurmen were Irish through and through.

20. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Oh, I didn't see that there were separate Irish/American and Irish categories, oops!!

21. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    But he goes to Happy Land!

22. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Yeah, Barbara Goodson, voice of Mother Talzin, comments that there might have been a slight resemblance to "Bevaaaaare of dee Wooooolfmaaaan". :p

23. Strika23

Strika23 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    I'd add Master Adi Gallia to the jamaican list!

Also, that selkath bounty hunter sounded like a dwarf from WoW (distinctively irish/scottish)

24. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

[image=http://s3.amazonaws.com/findagrave/photos/2001/222/ouspenskayamaribio.jpg]

[face_laugh]

Slight resemblance? When I first heard the tracks, I thought Barbara Goodson was Maria Ouspenskaya, until
    someone pointed out that she died in 1949.

25. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    I'd say the bounty hunter El-les from Clone Cadets had a German accent, didn't he?