main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Accents of 'The Clone Wars'

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthPhilosopher, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    So that's what those "Tholothians" are! They are the hybrid children of Corellian settlers on Jamaica (Glee Anselm) and the native Nautolans. [face_peace]

Oh, and by the way, I have to say that, for me, one of the great highlights of this series was Mother Talzin saying "blessed vith our most potent magicks" in that accent. [face_hypnotized] [face_dancing]

2. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    We've seen two Texan Twi'leks. The dancer girl in "Hunt for Ziro" and the pirate that finds Ventress in "Nightsisters".

3. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    In Clone Cadets, Cutup, I think, fades in and out of an Irish accent.

I found it hilarious. [face_laugh]

4. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

[image=http://indyposted.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/leprechaun.jpg]

Original clone cadet concept art.

5. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Did anyone mention the German accent of the mad scientist in "Blue Shadow Virus"?

6. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, anyone mentioned that. :p

7. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Oh, how could we forget him?

It's not like he was a shameless example of the Herr Doktor cliche, accent and all. :D

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Nuvo Vindi that is- still waiting for his return he was too awesome cliché to be underused[face_laugh]

9. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    What was Mama's accent supposed to be (Hunt for Ziro)? It was definitely an American accent, but I am neither American nor an expert on accents, so it kind of flew over my head. The whole environment reminded me of The Rescuers (possibly my favorite animated Disney film), it even had a swampmobile. Maybe there's a connection with the Devil's Bayou....

10. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I think Mama had some 'New Orleansian' accent or something

11. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Stereotypical antebellum American South.

12. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [face_thinking]

Not before the War Between The States, to my ear. I'd say early 1950's pure white trash living in the swamp or bayou.

She never did get paid for that door, to my recollection.

13. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Somebody make an EU story where Quinlan Vos returns to Nal Hutta and finds he has a bounty on his head because of the door. [face_laugh]

Bane's got some sort of accent, in the sense that it's not standard American or British. Could just be creative interpretations, but does anybody know if it resembles anything in real life?

14. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Vaguely Eastern European? It doesn't sound like the actual Lee Van Cleef, but it sounds like someone else whose last name might be Van Cleef.

15. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    That's a Western European last name, in fact it's simply Dutch.

I can assure you Bane doesn't sound anything like Dutch. A really thick typical Dutch accent is so ugly, they'd never even think of using it. There are several movies (Austin Powers comes to mind) with so-called Dutch guys. The accents they give them in movies are so far from the truth, it's ridiculous, or else they make them just German or Russian sounding.

English with a real thick urban Dutch accent is pretty hilarious. I tried to find some good examples on youtube, but I can only find very a-typical Dutch accents, like from people living in the countryside, who sound very different altogether. Ah well, who cares.

For what it's worth, Bane doesn't sound 'European' to this here European. He does have some kind of accent, but I'm not sure if it's something that really exists in the real world...

16. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    Agreed. Most of us dutch people have a very poor english accent. It's quite embarassing, actually. :p.

17. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Hondo seems to sound vaguely Middle-Eastern exotic. His crew, on the other hand, seem to sound like they were shipped straight from Cockney. [face_laugh]

Rumi Paramita, the sniper from Sugi's crew, sounded extremely Malaysian to my ears. Here's a sample, but I gotta warn you, it's terrible. Just terrible. :p

18. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I think most non-native englishspeakers find their own english accent embarassing;) or similar accent of others- it's said most finns speak pretty good english but it sounds terribly embarassing if you are listening to that as finn:oops: - would be priceless to see someone in TCW with finnish accent[face_laugh] - pronunctuation is so different in finnish- it lacks the harmonic melody of most languages like english, swedish, german or french and english pronounced completely finnish way is absolutely hilarious[face_laugh] and definitely bit hard to understand ....

well maybe it's enough finnish influence to have planet Kalevala in TCW:p

And Shmi by Pernilla August has slight natural swedish accent- i think that has been added to the list yet...

19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Okay I got to thinking about this today. So, Jedi were raised on Coruscant, right? So why does Aayla have a French accent (the accent of the Twi'Lek's, sure) and Shaak Ti have the Spanish accent (I suppose the accent of Togrutans)? They were raised on Coruscant, and should have the Coruscanti accent. If you want to make the "well that's just how those species speak Basic" argument, well then why doesn't Ahsoka speak with a Spanish accent?

I DON'T GET IT

20. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Maybe it's because Aayla and Shaak Ti have been on extended missions on Ryloth and Shilli respectively, and they got in touch with their roots. They do sound more like French and Spanish people trying to speak with Received Pronunciation (ie. Coruscanti) English, if that's any consolation.

Perhaps it's a useful skill for them to be bilingual in both their homeworlds' languages and Basic, so they naturally speak Basic with slight Twi'lek/Togruta accents. They probably sound like foreigners to the monolingual Twi'leks and Togrutas. Ahsoka, meanwhile, hasn't been trained to speak the Togruta language and thus speaks like one of the many Outer Rim (ie. American) Jedi who influence her development.

However, the OOU explanation for these characters' accents is that they're damn sexy. :p

What with all the incredibly long words, Finnish looks a bit like Tamil. :p While I can't speak a word of any Sri Lankan language, there are some people in my family who speak English with Sri Lankan accents of varying strengths. I've heard it commented by some that the Sri Lankan English accent is different from the Indian English accent. TCW has already had the Indian-accented Eeth Koth, so there's still room for a Sri Lankan-accented character... hopefully Master Agen Kolar.

'Cause Zabraks are all from the Asian Subcontinent, right?

21. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    All I ask for is a NJ accent and I would feel right at home.:p

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    But they'd have to be making a constant effort to go back to an accent completely different from their own. It doesn't make sense to keep doing that all the time.

23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Maybe Aayla and Shaak use accents just to sound smarter. =P

24. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    ^In that case Aayla fails she doesn't sound smart at all..... Shaak... well her latino accent is quite sexy:p

Interesting really....so you have Sri Lankan origins?

Finnish has long words because some word combinations are written together by finnish grammar rules- in fact i think it has longest words of any language- at some point there was a real profession (not sure if this exists anymore) that had unbelievable official name..... here i found it from one site: "lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas"
    it translates into "plane gas turbine motor junior mechanic non-commissioned officer in training." or something [face_laugh] hahah finnish name is crazy because it's all written together but at some point that was the longest name of any profession really used officially in the world......

25. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Please no. No other galaxy needs to experience that horror.