main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Accents of the troopers.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Zethlin_Maximus, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Stormtroopers are mostly clones, because GL said so in the commentary for Ep. II.

2. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    No, all stormtroopers are their own person, recruited somewhere. And I'm American but I have a Wisconsin accent...and I can definately hear that!

3. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Maybe you can clarify this, but do the Stormtroopers have different American accents? I know a few, like New York and Californian for example, but on the whole most American accents sound very much alike.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Americans have no accents.

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yes, they do.

If you live in the south and move up north, you'll notice their accent and vice versa.

Australians and British have different accents, so why can't different regions of the US?

Also, why up a 3 month old thread?

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I was just skimming through my old posts, that's all.

7. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Accents can unconsciously change over time depending on where they are. If the troopers were stationed somewhere for a long time their accents would change to the local dialect.

8. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    There also may be a snob factor in the military - certain types of accent are considered more cultivated than others, so it could be encouraged to pick up one of the desirable ones.

9. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Clonetroopers don't have English accents, they have New-Zealandish ones, mate! How about giving them some Latino or redneck accents? Or Scottish, along with the complementary plaid outfits (only with ceremonies of course)

10. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Stormies with redneck accents? LOL. They'll be the ones who grow long bears and hair and drive pick-up gunships :p

11. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    *cough* Long beards! :p

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Amish stormtroopers? Nah.

13. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Clone Troopers don't have English accents? Well, they sound A LOT like the people I see in town and on TV every day. Maybe it's just their muffled voices that distort their accents.

14. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Accents can unconsciously change over time depending on where they are. If the troopers were stationed somewhere for a long time their accents would change to the local dialect.

I'll go along with that as an explaination, as I know a girl who moved to Chester near Liverpool (England), from Manchester, within a couple of months she sounded like a scouser!!

15. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Exactly. My friend goes to university in Scotland, and he sounds like one of them now.

16. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Americans have no accents.

Wrong. I can make a list of the major ones:

The Midwestern Accent- Plain, some might say boring, un-accented accent.

The Border States- Light southern accent.

The Southern Accent- Similar to the British or Australian accent, but very very thick.

The Northern Accents- Different variations of the Canadian accent and Midwest accent.

New England Accents- This is hard to explain. Just think of Bostonians.

Eastern Seaboard Accent (for lack of a better term)- New Yawkers.

Did I miss any?

So yes, Americans have probably more accents than any other nation on earth. (Don't quote me on that, though)

17. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    You missed Californians! They sound like Bill & Ted! :D

I think you're wrong about Southern accents, somehow. They don't sound like the English. If any Americans sound like the English, it's those from New England.

18. isbagent1

isbagent1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2003
    How dare you make fun of the accents of us Californians! :D

19. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    The New England accents have a lot of IRISH in them.

As for the whole stormtrooper issue. It's becuase they didn't have CGI in those days and couldn't make identical stormtroopers.

I have read the majority of Episode 3 spoilers and I can tell you right now that the Stormtroopers in the OT ARE DEFINATELY CLONES and there is a reason why....

You'll find out on May, 2005, but if you want to know now, PM me.

20. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Surf's up, dude! :p

21. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    I'm with MetalGoldKnight. Didn't the whole cloning business go wrong at some point? I believe that was explained in the Zahn trilogy.

22. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    I have no beef with EU in general, or the excellent Thrawn Trilogy in particular, but Zahn's discussion of the Clone Wars is not reliable, due to extensive conflict with the canon. He had Joruus C'Baoth serving as personal Jedi advisor to Senator Palpatine circa 77 PE (Pre-Empire Date). He had the Clone Wars taking place forty years ago or something, instead of eighteen-twenty. Leia's thoughts about the Clone Wars imply that the clones were fighting for the (eventually defeated) supposedly evil side, and/or that they were fighting on more than one side. According to The Thrawn Trilogy, clones are grown quickly to adulthood inside a cylinder, existing in a less than conscious state, then come out and function like normal people (either before or after coming out of the cylinder, information is imprinted into their brains), whereas in AOTC, they seem to be born similary to everyone else, and then their growth is accelerated, either permanently, or simply throughout the period of their growth to adulthood, and training in their intended duty.

The Thrawn Trilogy does not say something went wrong overall- it instead states that cloning a person too quickly results in mental instability due to some Force-bond with the original, unless grown in the presence of ysalamiri. Leia theorizes that the "clonemasters" found some way around this, due to the successful use of large numbers of relatively quickly-grown clones in the Clone Wars.

Accents, by the way, are not really genetic, at least as perceived within a species (between species is another matter as vocal equipment will differ significantly). What language we speak, and how we pronounce it, is a function of the environment (including parents or equivalent, and especially school) in which we learn to speak. Japanese kids brought up in Australia, unless their parents isolate them and/or speak only Japanese at home, have Australian accents. Black men born and raised in the UK have British accents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.