main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

According to TV, men are stupid and can't do anything right

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by sith_rising, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I'm a fan of the shows King of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond", but I am tired of the way men are portrayed on TV. It seems like every show nowadays has some disgusting slob married to some ultra-hot woman who is, let's just say it, a bitch. These guys can't sneak into the refrigerator and eat a piece of cake or play a game of golf without their wives finding out about it and making them sleep on the couch. Men, what the hell has happened to us? Of course, you couldn't blame the wives for living in constant frustration, just look at the men! They can't express themselves emotionally or convey a thought, they don't even try to stay in shape, they can't dress, they have no interest in their children, they live for food, sex, and TV sports. That's it. In real life, women that hot would be GONE, they would not put up with it. And don't get me started on commercials. Every single one of them is about how a man can't manage to change a tire, open a pickle jar, or tie his shoes without his wife's help. Do you think that men are really this stupid?

2. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Strereotypes are funny.

3. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    I doubt you'd ever actually find the actual equivalent of Homer Simpson, but without him my life would be the poorer.

I don't worry about it, it's a comedy not an appraisal of the masculine condition.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Maybe that's how we look, when viewed from beneath the glass ceiling?

//E_S runs for his life from a crowd of outraged women

E_S

5. Jedi_Master_Jogum

Jedi_Master_Jogum Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2004
    LOL E_S [face_laugh]

All I know is that guy on King of Queens has got it made. Raymond...not so much.

6. JarJar Slayer

JarJar Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2000
    Actually it's only American men.

7. SlackJawedJedi

May 28, 2004
    Clearly you haven't seen enough Australian ads.

8. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    Thats why I dont watch many sitcoms anymore. They are not that funny and I hate how they show men. I think friends was the worst for stereotype, for both men and women.

Chandler: funny,yet had no social graces,could not find a good reletionship, stuck at a crappy job and obsesed with baywatch
    Joey: the idiotic womanizer
    Ross: the dweeb who could not maintain a reletionship unless its was with a fossil

Monica: The nit picking women who wanted the perfect man,kids and can never live up to her parent stndards cuz she didnt have a family
    Phoebe: The ditz/freak from a bad family backgroud and can never lead a normal life
    Rachel: the fashion freak who had a hard time with real lif cuz she lived off her Dad for so long.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Friends sucked on every level. Seriously; if you used quantum theory to analyse the show, even it would produce the terse one word answer; "Sucks".

E_S

10. SlackJawedJedi

May 28, 2004
    Bah. Screw politcs. The best way to appreciate a person's worth is to study their thoughts on various TV shows.

In which case, Ender just got top marks. Woo! :p

"Why not? It's clever, it's unexpected..."

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    When you have shows like The Office on TV it's borderline criminal to watch Friends.

E_S

12. SlackJawedJedi

May 28, 2004
    Don't make me derail the thread with my Office gushing.

Is it creepy that I bear more then a passing resmblence to Gareth? :p

13. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    But I like friends. :(

14. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Sorry guys, this is all my fault.

Ever since we first got together, it has been a goal for my wife and I to have a single income family. After 4 or 5 years, we realized that goal.

Now, lemme tell ya what happens when you do this:

The man knows nothing! Serious. I go to work, come home, pay the bills. Other than that, I have no clue as to what is going on in our lives.

So, as a result, she tells me where we have to be and when. Often how to dress for the occation. She reminds me of all appointments we have. I come home and she lines out what needs to be done.

But that is cool, as it gives her some ownership of our lives and our sucess. She doesn't feel like "just a housewife."

At the same time, I only need to focus on being a better man and how to improve our sucess. The cloths are always clean, food is always ready, the house is always taken care of.

If that makes me sexist, understand she has the option to work. But let's face it; the house, the marriage, wouldn't be as happy and defined if we both gave the best 8 hours of our day to someone else.

Besides, I am a hot piece of ass. Taking care of me would be the dream of any and all women. ;)

See, when you look at me, (And ladies...I know you do) you are looking at a man who'll take care of business!

[face_laugh] I love when I go on a tangent like that.

Seriously, it is a great way to live so long as both partners desire that way of life and each has a deep resect for the role of the other.

15. Bant428

Bant428 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    According to TV, men are stupid and can't do anything right

And women are know-it-all, whiny, bitchy, and hate sex, African Americans are criminals, Hispanics are gardeners, Arabs/Muslims are terrorists, Jews are rich brats, Indians are gas station owners....

People who actually buy TV stereotypes shouldn't be permitted to watch TV.

16. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    You forgot that all Italians are mobsters and all Irish folk are drunks with wicked tempers.

17. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    How about you all watch Arrested Development where everybody's crazy, except Jason Bateman who has to run his father's company. Despite critical acclaim, Golden Globes, Emmys, and a sweet time slot right after Simpsons, it's always on the borderline of being cancelled on network TV. Now, that's a crime!

18. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    Haven't you ever watched the X-Files or West Wing?

19. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    The West Wing. Getting to see what the job of the president is like and that it really is hard work. Actually I think the tv president's work is harder than the real thing. Though don't say that to him.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/FireIceDeath/Pics/bush_hardwork.jpg]

20. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    [off topic]

Yeah, because being the president of the United States is all fun and games.

[off topic]

21. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000

The Office is easily the best sit com in the last 10 years.

I missed The Office Christmas Special, I'm trying desperately to find it on DVD, but nowhere around here stocks it.

And here's a bit of info to help you claw your own eyes out, there's an American version of The Office in the works.

22. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    The American version of The Office was already aired yesterday! I didn't see it, but I heard it sucked. The few episodes I've seen of the BBC version is hilarious, so I don't know if I can watch the U.S. version. I think British accents and the dry wit that accompanies them is part of what makes the show so funny.

23. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    [off topic]

Yeah, because being the president of the United States is all fun and games.

[off topic]

Bush does seem to play golf and vacation alot, doesn't he?

24. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Friends sucked on every level. Seriously; if you used quantum theory to analyse the show, even it would produce the terse one word answer; "Suck[\i]

At last someone from planet earth !

25. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003

If that makes me sexist, understand she has the option to work. But let's face it; the house, the marriage, wouldn't be as happy and defined if we both gave the best 8 hours of our day to someone else.

Besides, I am a hot piece of ass. Taking care of me would be the dream of any and all women. wink

See, when you look at me, (And ladies...I know you do) you are looking at a man who'll take care of business!

JRod

You were never on The bachelor were you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.