main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

By the endless males of LOTR! You haven't seen Doctor Who?! Go get the new season's first boxset with the 9th Doctor. It's come down in price a bit, and a great introductory to the series. He's not a passive McGuyver; he's a brain fighter.

2. S1thari

S1thari Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 13, 2008
    Next paycheck, I definitely will. Is this a series that's ongoing? (If that's not a stupid question...)

3. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Around 13 45 min episodes a year. 4 full seasons thus far. This year, the fifth, is a bit different. The 10th Doc has left, so there's only 5 special hour episodes. But things retorn to normal 2010.

4. S1thari

S1thari Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 13, 2008
    Hmmm... Interesting. Scifi channel?

5. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I don't know. Don't have pay tv. It's english, so ABC shows it; in Aust around midyear here.

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm in love with all the Dalek stuff.

I've still not actually seen much of Classic Who. I keep meaning to rectify that, but I'm just... I don't know... Lazy?

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bah! You young kids with your hula hoops and fax machines and new Doctor Whoses. Back in my day, an abandoned quarry was used as the set for an alien planet and we liked it! :p

8. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Good thing there are so many quarries in the UK ;)

And Ex, I like MacGyver, he's great! *hums theme music*

BTW, SWise that Koala and I'll put it up.

9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    It's been too long since I've seen an episode of MacGyver. :oops: Sigh, memories...

Anyway, I announced this already in EUC, but I just got a new second cousin this week, who was born on Monday--his name is Aiden. He's now the third second cousin I've accumulated in just three years. :D

10. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I've always been confused about the difference between being a second cousin and being a first cousin once removed. :confused:

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    A second cousin is the son (or daughter) of one of your parents' first cousins. A first cousin once removed is a son or daughter of your first cousin. Or, alternatively, one of your parents' first cousins. So "removed" means you're at different levels in the tree. First, second, and third are when you're on the same level.

12. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    @plaristes: So have I. In the sense I'm using it in, they're my cousin's kids. Whether that's the correct usage or not, who knows! :p

EDIT:
    And now Havac shows that I've been using the term wrong all along. [face_worried]

13. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    MacGyver? Kriff that. A-Team, FTW.

Okay: Second cousin= your cousin's cousin or a nephew/niece of your uncle/aunt who isn't you or one of your siblings.

First cousin once removed: your uncle/aunt's cousin, or your cousin's uncle/aunt other than your uncle/aunt, or your great uncle/aunt's children.

Wikipedia has a nifty little chart.

14. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I only know my cousins as in the kids of my aunts and uncles, and that's because my Dad is a baby boomer with six brothers and sisters.

15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Ah, MacGyver. Good memories, that. Used to watch it every single day just after noon, without fail. Didn't stop until they took it off the air.

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I just got my first set of dice! :D

And in other news, have a bit of a backdoor problem.

17. RebelJoseWales

Sep 10, 2008
    :confused:

Also, I want you to know how difficult it was to ignore a straight line like that. I mean, come on. It's like you attached a neon sign that said "Incredibly Easy Joke (Provided You're Willing to Interpret it in a Juvenile Manner)" to your post.

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I assume the traditional polyhedral set of RPG dice? I admit that I have a sort of bias towards that interpretation, but I can't think of another situation where someone would be excited about getting dice...

Okay, you are going to have to explain this because otherwise various posters are going to have a Kirkesque battle with their typing hands...
    "Must - not - make - juvenile - innuendoes..." 8-}

Well, this is a Star Wars message board, so I'll make this warning to would-be posters:

IT'S A TRAP! [face_whistling]

19. RebelJoseWales

Sep 10, 2008
    Am I the only one who though "Deckard" on seeing Havac's current icon?

20. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    By "back door" I meant computing, as in some nasty hacker sneaking onto your computer.

And yes, they are the RPG polyhedral dice: d4, d6, d8, d10, d12 and d20. I got the saga rule book and I'm trying to work it all out.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  22. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

I can see it, now that you brought it up.

23. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

If icons have to be star wars themed, why has a whole plethora of food and Homer icons been uploaded? :confused:

24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    As an avid gamer, let me say congratulations! [face_dancing]

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe the Pancakes & Waffles forum made a brief return, so those icons are akin to sport events & holiday icons that are permitted to be non-SW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.