main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hav, I like and appreciate my shows and give them the time they're worth. I'm not a one-night stand TV viewer! [face_not_talking]

PG, yeah I didn't marathon FF when I watched it... I think. It was like, almost ten years ago when I first watched it so I can't really remember accurately, but I'm 90% sure that I didn't :p

2. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Really? I always marathon Buffy and Angel. Although season 4 of both shows are pretty rough when marathoned. Individual episodes in those seasons are good, but the season long plots...:rolleyes:

I tried to marathon the extended editions of Lord of the Rings once. Made it to the end of The Two Towers before admitting defeat. [face_beatup]

EDIT: I also marathoned season 1 of Game of Thrones after getting it for Christmas. The wait for the second season DVD is killing me.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I watched the extended Lord of the Rings recently, but certainly did not marathon them. It was actually the first time I had ever seen Return of the King... that was fantastically done. I can't imagine watching that movie in the theatrical version, I hear all the scenes I loved were taken out.

The_Forgotten_Jedi and RC-1991 like this.
  4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    What's wrong with a marathon of Buffy? I did this without any problems.

5. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    I've been watching DS9 in bits and pieces. Sometimes four episodes a day, sometimes just one or two. It depends if the DVD in question has more of the good eps; if the next ep is a Ferengi ep I put off watching it, and therefore have viewing delays.

6. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I know I marathoned the first 3 seasons of The Wire on DVD, and it was fantastic. Watching the last 2 in real time was like coming down.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I most recently marathoned "Adventure Time", which is absurdly easy considering the episode lengths.

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I like to voice my displeasure for Fox like this. The Fox executives who canceled Firefly are "going to burn in a very special level of Hell. One they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Barriss_Coffee and instantdeath like this.
  9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    This.

[​IMG]

I need this.

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    So, spinning off from the TV conversation, which of these crime shows do I watch first: The Sopranos, The Wire, or Mad Men? The former two have the advantage of being finished, but at the same time, it is somewhat fun to follow a TV series as it's winding down (though for all I know Mad Men may not even be close to winding down). Plus Mad Men is on Netflix instant. That's a nice bonus, but I won't be watching any of the shows in question right away.

Go.

11. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    None of the above. Go watch some cartoons.:p

Zeta1127, Gorefiend and TrakNar like this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, Mad Men isn't a crime show. It's a period-piece office drama. And apparently a wellspring for animated gifs.

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010

I totally got the first season of the Batman Animated Series not too long ago. I've only watched the first disc so far, but it's very good.

I honestly just think I assumed it was a crime show. The pictures I've seen of it remind me of The Untouchables :p. Beyond that, the only thing I know about the show is that it's, like, really good and stuff.

Well, question stands. I don't demand that the next show I watch features criminals being dicks to each other.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You know, I think I should marathon Ren & Stimpy...

instantdeath likes this.
  15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ren & Stimpy is amazing. One of the few cartoons that I find funnier now than I did as a kid. It's fun to guess what the animators were on.

And now I have this stuck in my head

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Dunno. Just struggled with it. That being said, last time I watched it, it does become madly addictive during later seasons (Willow madness, the First, etc).

s65horsey likes this.
  17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I marathoned Game of Thrones Seasons 1 and 2 over the space of something like 3 days. Realizing I had 11 months to wait for the next season drove me to read the books.

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Mad Men is the best thing of all time and you must watch it.

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I found it disinteresting, to be honest.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Watch Ren & Stimpy instead. Much more entertaining. I just finished watching "Sven Hoek."

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods

Europe is in turmoil. The land has been fragmented into petty fiefdoms, the Emperor struggles with the Pope, and the Holy Father declares that all those who go to liberate the Holy Land will be freed of their sins. Now is the time for greatness.

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods, the fourth expansion for the critically praised strategy/RPG, finally enables you to play as a Pagan or Zoroastrian ruler, with particular focus on the dreaded Vikings and their tradition of pillage and adventure. Crusader Kings II explores one of the defining periods in world history in an experience crafted by Paradox Development Studio, the masters of Strategy. Medieval Europe comes to life in this game of knights, schemes and thrones.

- Play as a Pagan chieftain and ravage your weak neighbors. If you remain at peace for too long, your people will grow restless...

- The new earliest start date is 867 AD: The Viking Rurik has founded the kingdom of Rus and the Great Heathen Army under the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok rampages through England.

- Play as a Zoroastrian lord and restore your ancient religion to prominence.

- Adventurers: Landless characters can gather armies and go off to carve out new realms on their own.

- Prepared Invasions: Declare your intention to invade and watch your armies grow with adventurers and restless warriors, but don't wait too long to start your war or it might all fall apart...

- Rebels with a Cause: Rebels are no longer a faceless menace – they are now led by characters with agendas.

- Loot and pillage provinces. Burn down their cities and take their gold!

- Sacrifice to Odin at the great Blot!

- Christians and Muslims can dispatch missions to convert the depraved heathens.

- New beautiful Pagan interface skin.

- New events and decisions: berserkers, sejdr, curses, omens, divinations, runestones and much more.

SOURCE.

RC-1991 and Point Given like this.
  22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The Old Gods? I was expecting Cthulhu.

TrakNar and Ulicus like this.
  23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Mainly I'm excited about the extra 200 years we're getting to play with. Though, apparently, there no option to begin play between 867 and 1066. (I guess because they really didn't want to go to the trouble of an extra 200 years of research)

Oh, and, while I'm on the subject of CKII... my brave, pious, chaste, zealous king of Prydain (read: everything south of Scotland) "Gruffydd the Silent" -- who aspired to become a paragon of virtue (and was just 3 piety short!!!) was kidnapped by his younger uncle. I had the choice of giving him a landed title (and losing the brave trait) or spitting in his face, keeping my dignity but losing my life.

I chose the latter.

RIP Gruffydd, you were so much better than your hunchbacked grandfather.

Thankfully his son and heir is just a year shy of manhood. Though I had to immediately fend off an effort of my regent to kill me, and my younger brother is still a toddler.

And the heir after him (his elder great-uncle) is in an incestous affair with his sister. And they've reproduced. [face_worried]

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That's exactly the reason they've given.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm probably going to end up reading the books, at least at some point. I've got several books loaded to my Kindle and waiting right now that I end up feeling like a little kid trying to choose a piece of candy when trying to choose what I'll read next.

This is one of the shows I've been meaning to try out.

IMO The Big Bang Theory is the best show of the past 15 years or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.