main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Uh, so apparently people still want me to type up RPG shenanigans, so I'm going to have to think back and write up what's happened so far, or at least what I can remember of it.

Short preview: yesterday I decided that it would be a wise idea for my squishy noble to charge straight into melee at a Wookiee armed with a bowcaster. I was shot in the face and nearly died. Oops. Luckily one of our friends roasted the sucker with Force lightning.

Outraged, I asked after the battle if I could eat the accursed wookiee. The other players just stared at me in horror, and the GM just said yeah that'll totally earn you a dark side point. Heck, no, THREE.

So I marked off three darkside points and ate the crispy wookiee. And they thought I wouldn't do it!

Ris_jSarek likes this.
  2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

If I carried a clutch and coin purse, I would carry that.

Barriss_Coffee and Gorefiend like this.
  3. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Are you a fan of Whose Line Is It Anyway? If so, its return was just announced. Certainly cheered me up.

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Good luck getting through the second. I stalled big time.

EDIT:

Oh, hey, a Mass Effect ONGOING from Dark Horse?

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nice. Carey had a similar show a few years ago that had most of the original cast minus Wayne Brady, so it's nice that all of them are back this time around.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, that was known issue. They farmed out the boss battles and admitted they made a bad mistake. (The DLC's boss battle showed that they could, indeed, make a good one). The way to beat the first boss regardless of your skills? Toss barrels at him. The boss doesn't have gas immunity, and two gas barrels will usually take him down.

Hint for second boss - take immunity to electricity. It'll make that one a lot less frustrating.

7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I finally killed Barrett last night. Ended up alternatively zapping him with the stun gun and blasting him in the face with the assault rifle. Apparently Terminators are very susceptible to tazers :p

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I should probably warn you: Barrett was the easy boss.

9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ha! Well, generally I hate boss fights. My gf gave up on one of the recent Castlevanias because of a particularly nasty boss fight that ends up being a platform puzzler in the middle. I just got done with playing Afterfall Insanity, whose first boss fight is insanely hard (and I beat essentially because the game glitched). If the rest the game is awesome (which Deus Ex is), I endure it.

I will tell you, without spoiling, that one of the later boss fights in Deus Ex, I ended up fighting severely handicapped because of a very, very stupid decision I made. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I've heard that if you get an aug before the third boss, it ends up being a kill-switch.

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Depends on play style though yeah Barrett is a lot less annoying then Yelena and Jaron.

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_laugh]

I was pretty chuffed that we were given the opportunity to be genre savvy in that instance, given it's such a rarity in gaming. Dishonored (an otherwise great game) being one of the most recent examples of my throwing my hands up in frustration as my character does something I just knew was gonna bite him in the ass.

Still, speaking of DX:HR, this reminds me that I never actually got around to playing the DLC... even though I own it. Huh. Should probably get on that.

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    You guys are spoiling everything! :p

Well, it's specifically a 'special upgrade' that everyone with cyberware is supposed to get. What was stupid about my decision was that I suspected that something bad was going to happen but based on absolutely nothing I had assumed that I "had" to take the upgrade to advance the story. (You don't).

Essentially, you have to fight a boss battle... without being able to use any augmentations. Also, your vision is all messed up. (As if you were hit by an EMP grenade). And yes, I stubbornly fought through anyways because I didn't want to refight the entire level prior.

It's funny, but I actually ended up breaking one boss battle on a later run because I realized if you are able to hack turrets and are strong enough to pick them up, you can carry them with you - and there was one right before a boss battle, so the boss had to contend with two guns at the same time. Hilarious.

There's also another point where something happens that made me very angry and revengeful, and again I didn't realize you can actually do something to stop it from happening.

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Somehow Dishonored really did not click with me, though I liked the setting and how characters would react to you and your actions, the later levels were simply annoying and the ending very disappointing (no matter which of the basically two you got)

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    There's another instance, though, in Deus Ex that people were annoyed with that was exactly the situation you're describing here (the cutscene where you first directly interact with the person that becomes the final boss).

It was pretty fun. While it is 'shoehorned in' to a time gap that didn't need something in the gap, it turned out well. The boss battle is actually quite good, and there's a classic 'choose the lesser of two evils' where you can subvert it if you figure out the right way to do so. Plus an interesting glimpse into what might be in the sequel (which most are assuming to be the Deus Ex title that was just trademarked a day or so ago).

16. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I thought that was for the upcoming movie?

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I hope not. I want a new game. [face_laugh]

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Don’t remind me, it was really annoying that you could pretty much take such decisions freely beforehand but have it forced onto you in this case, even though they could have pretty easily written around it. [face_sigh]

19. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Deus Ex movie? Awesome.

So is the Missing Link DLC worth it? I might grab it next time it's on sale.

20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I thought so. It's done in a strange fashion - it's completely separate from the main game (to the point it's not even accessed from the main game menu, but as if it was a separate game). You start with no augs at all. And if you played the original Deus Ex, there's more tie-ins.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    It’s a pretty fun mini story though it adds little to the game directly.

22. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I also need to play the originals some time. I really should have grabbed the combo pack instead of just DX:HR.

23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh, right, yeah. Heh. I'd forgotten all about that.

I just assumed it was a more advanced social enhancer aug at work. ;)

Well, no, at first I went "ARARHAGHAUGHAGUHrrrrafa". Then came the handwave. :p

Cool. I must admit, I wanted them to expand on Montréal more than I wanted the gap filled in but... ehh, whatever. If it's good, it's good.

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Just be warned the Original is really, really dated ;) and the Second One will sometimes have crippling bugs when trying to run it on modern systems.

Bah he should be immune just like Faridah, which reminds me of how much of a downer it was when she died in my game and I found her about to be gutted by Tong.

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh my god JC a bomb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.