main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amphimachus

Amphimachus Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2012
    Is that... D'harhan?
    It's awesome.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's the story of the old fashioned toy that is afraid of being replaced as a child's favorite toy by a new sci-fi themed toy that is being given as a gift to the child on a special occasion. Said sci-fi toy also must be convinced they are actually a toy and not the character whose likeness they are made in. Insert occasion interference by the family pet.

It's worth watching at least once. It has more singing and dancing, but, well, it's Henson. You kinda expect that out of most of his TV work.

The Kermit intro was cut from more recent video releases due to the whole Muppets rights issues, but you can find that on youtube (well, after the Kraft commercial, ha):

It's hard for me not to think of Toy Story 1 as "The Christmas Toy minus the Fraggle Rock vibe and danger".

Even though TS2 retreads similar concepts, the role reversal angle kept it fresh enough to distance it from TCT/TS1 and allowed me to actually enjoy it quite a bit. And I give TS3 a lot for credit for
    making me think they could plausibly end the series by burning the cast alive

While getting the joke is a plus, I wouldn't expect my theoretical offspring to get every such pop culture reference. I'd be more concerned with exposing them to the concept of "the villain is the hero's father" (even if in a humorous context), which I feel could diminish the impact ESB 's moment would have otherwise, since that realization is a worldview expanding concept, IMO.

Of course, avoiding he whole Vader/father thing will probably be difficult in of itself just based on the likely saturation of SW product that will be present by time they could theoretically exist and be of the proper age, so it may be a moot point regardless.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    That is indeed D'harhan, and my first serious attempt at a custom figure.

4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, more thoughts on AC3. And spoilers up to the Valley Forge section.

I'm really digging the game, but there's some weird story issues with sequence 8. Suddenly Connor is all buddy-buddy with Lafayette and Washington, and Haytham is aware that he has a son. Did Lee tell him everything about Connor? How the hell would he know? I doubt Haytham was aware that Connor's mother was ever pregnant, otherwise I suspect he would have tried to raise the boy as a protege. And I'm just going to assume that Connor spent the whole time from summer of 1776 to December of 1777 aiding the Continental Army, because otherwise it just doesn't add up. Oh, and strangely I still haven't gotten really fed up with Connor yet. The naval missions and homestead missions help to mitigate his doofusery. The Beladonna mission alone makes me want AC4.

5. Amphimachus

Amphimachus Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2012
    Looks good, I always liked that character. Only thing I notice missing is his tail. I think he had one, if my memory of The Bounty Hunter Wars serves me.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I haven't gotten to that point, yet. Still working on how to make it and have it be articulated.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You using Chris Scalf's image as reference? 'Cause that image is ****ing badass. I'd so buy a D'harhan figure.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I love at the beginning when they're all like "new from Kraft: cream cheese!" like it's this thing they came up with. Ah, the eighties.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yep, I've been using it as a general design reference. Though the digitigrade leg configuration contradicts the book description, and I'm debating on how I'm going to make those legs if I decide to go that route. If I could find my old Grievous figure, I'd hack the legs off of that and saw the ankles off of D'harhan and slap them together with Mighty Putty. Otherwise, I'm planning to just bulk up the boots and add shin armor. The damn tail is still giving me problems as I'm not sure how to build it and keep it articulated.

I could sculpt a solid piece for the tail and attach it, or I may try making the base of the tail (where it attaches to his butt) and the end of it out of Mighty Putty, string a length of wire between those pieces, and add layers of black duct tape. This way the tail can be posed.

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    And JB HI-FI; I love that shop.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, the choppy story is my biggest problem with the game. It doesn't really get the most out of the era. Other than that, I actually don't share most of the complaints about it.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It was on someone's VHS tape, therefore it must be true.

13. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Hope: crushed.

Gorefiend likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Nowadays it'd be Nitro Nacho Deluxe Head-Exploding Cream Cheese and it'd come in the shape of Adventure Time characters.

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So, I have been in Austin, TX the last two days on a work trip and I am shocked as how unique it is from the rest of Texas. Hell, as a Californian, I feel damn near at home. Plus the food is awesome and the bar/music scence on 6th Street is really cool.

--Adm. Nick

16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    You know, Hasbro wouldn't be in the crapper right now if you were designing the action figures. I don't know a kid who wouldn't want an action figure with a gun for a head.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes! Please join the Starfighter Draft. We're fun and talk about EU. And pilots. And everyone likes those two things.

#$!#!@#!@

ugh. there is no hope.

19. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    She doesn't even have decent stats.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also -- gotta say, the feel in the capital today is electric with these two oral arguments on prop 8 and DOMA. Part of me just wants to head on over to Capitol South and check out the crowds at SCOTUS.

krtmd likes this.
  21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Afaik Haytham explains it later, just wait a little.

22. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Good.

Still, you wouldn't believe how let down I was when they didn't have you cross the Delaware to raid Trenton with Washington. That's exactly the kind of thing I would expect them to put in, and they even did concept art of it. And they needed more naval missions. Still, great game so far. I'd easily place it above 1 and even Revelations (as much as I loved Revelations, the story was very truncated), and possibly on par with Brotherhood.

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Creed 1 actually struck me as so bad back in the days that I was surprised anyone liked the series, luckily I enjoyed a gifted copy of Revelations so much that I went back to play the others.

24. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Up until Revelations (and III), I'd say AC definitely held the award for unbelievable and incredible leaps in quality between games.

Not quite sure who has it now, though. CD Projekt RED? Avalanche?

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The first Assassin's Creed is badly underrated. The investigation missions are repetitive, but not enough to really matter (everything in games is, after all, the same handful of mechanics over and over), but the core gameplay, the assassinations, still has yet to be matched throughout the rest of the series. The investigation and exploration of the city giving you in the information you need to make your own choices about how to approach an open-ended assassination that still makes a great setpiece, followed by an intense escape through an entire city on alert -- the rest of the series, as much as I love it, has yet to recapture that feeling of genuinely being an assassin and being in control of the game. Plus the cities are gorgeous. I'm really glad that the developers are signaling a desire to get back to that wide-open, in-control style of assassination and approach to missions for Black Flag.

Trip, Ulicus and Point Given like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.