main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So I'm Marius, eh Numidicus?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Scaurus, if you please. I'm no plebeian.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    o_O

instantdeath likes this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IDK about now, but Latin came in handy when learning Spanish in school, and also helped me out on some parts of the SAT.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Latin is cool for understanding Gregorian Chants. Then again, those are usually better when you have no idea what the hell they're saying.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    These days it's mainly good for exorcising demons.

instantdeath likes this.
  7. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    new asscreed trailer

so that was pretty boring but mostly i'm wondering if his accent's legit or not. it seems like it's kinda off but i can't tell.

if only beccatoria were here...

8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd rather summon them and have them do my bidding. Do they cover that in Latin class?

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Au contraire -- I can tell you that there's great amusement value in chanting erotic Latin poetry as if it were a Gregorian Chant/prayer, and seeing would-be pious old people praise you for it.

instantdeath likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The value of Latin: root words, scientific names for various species, medical terms. And along the lines of the second one, understanding the comedy behind the cat rule, "No canis familiaris shall be permitted inside the domicile under any circumstances."

The value of appreciating Latin: evading the wrath of Jello.

11. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    Also, it's great for naming Transformers characters.

Don't you dare tell me that Ultra Maximus isn't a real Latin title.

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just remembered another one, going along with medical terms: correct anatomical terms.

When I taught high school, I used to tell students to "sit your gluteus maximus down."

I usually got a few WTF? looks before, "Oh. Damn. That's what she means."

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    In my experience, the absolute quickest way to get a kid interested in a language is to teach them that languages curse words.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh yeah. When we were in high school, we used to get the big French dictionary and look them all up.

Made the fundamentalist-Christian teacher nuts.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    One of my college roommates spoke Farsi. He occasionally tried to teach me some phrases. The only things I ever remembered were the swear words, lol.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, it sounds kind of like a British guy trying to do an American accent and failing. Frankly, it's too weird for me to think they'd go with it if it isn't genuine, but it's entirely possible they they're using Canadian voice talent and getting weird results.

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It's meant to be a Welsh accent... but it's light enough that at first I thought it was a bad Scottish accent.

I'm pretty disappointed that they didn't give him the same accent as Haytham, honestly.

18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I think that just is the speaker’s normal accent. :)

19. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, Latin has some very specific profanities.

Re: Edward Kenway's accent. It was really, really weird, and sounded fake. And I say that as a man who has spent all of 5 hours in Wales.

20. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Double post, but my high school Latin teacher is retiring, and when I visited her class today she was cleaning out all of her stuff, so I ended up with several maps of Roma, the Empire, and Pompeii; multiple posters; multiple books; the movie "The Fall of the Roman Empire"; and the press packet thingy that was released along with the movie.

I am so putting the picture of a bust of Bacchus up in my kitchen when I return to Morgantown in August.

Barriss_Coffee and instantdeath like this.
  21. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Yeah, I don't think that guy's from Wales.

It's actually not the lightness of the accent, because there's a lot of places where you'd get an accent about that "light", and on some of the words/lines he was actually pretty accurate ("bend my knee to no man"/"rightfully ours"), but then on others his vowels were...not right ("stand up to the powerful"). The net result being he sounds Welsh about...half the time.

I mean, is it possible that this is supposed to be some sort of historical accent or something?

Cus like, based on this, I'm not sure I even would have known he was supposed to be Welsh.

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Part of it did sound Scottish. Then some sort of regional English. Then something weird that I'm assuming is supposed to be Welsh.

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Scavenger.

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Gorefiend likes this.
  25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
Thread Status: