main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    wasn't legit boushh a dude anyway?

also coop wayy belatedly but yes Centurion is so worth it. best movie i have seen all year.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well that's the rub--an EU fan would look at Boushh and see a guy, but a movie fan would just see Leia.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Harry Potter museum? Ugh.

Τον Μουσαιον ηδον ιδιοτων μη εστιν

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, my reaction was Harry Potter Museum where?

6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Is it cheating if in Crusader Kings II I save every year to a new save and if something catastrophic happens (like I father a second son to divide the realm and then die right after) I load a save and act like nothing happened? If it is, I answer that the point of studying alternative universes is to not make the same mistakes.

I wouldn't like to live in that alternative universe where I got butchered by the King just because I wanted to try war. Explaining that to the citizens would have been hard.

instantdeath likes this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's a sandbox, you can do whatever you want.

Though, IMO, half the fun is having catastrophic things happen and then trying to claw your way back.

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So the Jurassic Park ride at Universal is fun, but less impressive than I remember.

Sent via Mojave Courier service

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I went to that one at Universal in Hollywood. Fun time, that park was. The BTTF attraction was great too.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ugh, the Jurassic Park section at Universal. I dislike it because it's right next to Harry Potter, which highlights how Jurassic Park is everything you don't do for a franchise. I feel like I'm at "Generic Dino-World" rather than stepping into the movie. I don't know why out of everything out of Universal, that's the odd man out - only the "International Pavilion" at the main park was more worthless, and that's becoming the Simpsons' Springfield.

11. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I also visited the Harry Potter area- I enjoyed the movies well enough despite the major adaptation decay, so I don't mind the art style used in the park. They could have done a lot more with the whole Hogwarts thing, though supposedly they plan to.

Re: Jurassic Park, I love that they don't even sell official JP figures anymore, and licensed out the molds.

Sent via Mojave Courier service

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    JP is also like fifteen years older, before that kind of investment into a whole separate park for a franchise could be remotely justified. It's unfair to compare it to HP World.

After C4, I went to Universal with somebody I befriended at the con. Person lived out in LA so we could only hang out there. Not much to do there really but Universal was a place I hadn't been in years.

Turns out it was a lucky thing because it was the week they were closing down BTTF. Ride was rough and sucky and clearly poorly maintained but I had fond memories of its glory days. Glad to see it. The Simpsons ride that replaced it cannot compare.

Went to the park recently, only JP remains from my youth. Studio tour is partially burnt down, while Backdraft, ET and BTTF are gone. Sad. But I have a friend who works there who's told me there's a chance for a new anniversary BTTF ride after the Simpsons license expires in a few years.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Aww, I loved the ET one too. I went about 10 years ago, so it doesn't surprise me that a lot of the ones I remember are gone.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This year Carowinds opened up Dinosaurs Alive!, which is a Jurassic Park rip-off in all but name only. They even use the theme music. It's OK, it even has some areas where the kids can channel their inner John Hammond and "control" the dinos, but it's nothing spectacular.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Control the dinos? You mean you can make them attack other tourists? I would've loved to have a dino try to eat my little brother as a kid... :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL. With a push of a few buttons, kids can control their head and arm movements and such.

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think it's completely fair. The city sets in the main park are quite nice (except the NYC portion that's just a painted backdrop, but that's because it was originally part of the Ghostbusters show and you couldn't get back there). Even the Jaws ride captured a New England town from the early 80s pretty much on the nose. In Islands of Adventure, Seuss Land is like stepping into a Dr. Seuss story. Marvel Island is like stepping into a Rob Liefeld illustrated copy of Marvel Comics. Even generic fantasy island inspired Rowling enough with their cool "Tree Tavern" for Harry Potter (which of course was then torn down to make room for Harry Potter).
    So they have no excuse at all. Just like they have no excuse for keeping the "Twister" ride. IT'S AWFUL.

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    This is pretty impressive:

Wish they'd movie-magicked the lightsaber, though. ;)

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not even sure it's still there. This, if I remember correctly, was shortly before the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was released, so Harry Potter excitement was at its arguable peak. Hence, a half-assed Harry Potter museum. There were props from the movies :rolleyes:

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    CKII 1.10 Patch notes!!!

"Bastards may now marry normally. If they have children, they will start a new dynasty."

:eek::D

"Revised Gavelkind succession to work better and be smarter about titles that characters already hold"
    "Prevented Gavelkind exploit where you could grant your oldest child and heir extra titles before succession"

[face_thinking]

Hopefully this means no more situations where my eldest son inherits the Empire, but my second eldest inherits the largest kingdom within the Empire.

"The event "Comet Sighted" can now actually fire"

IT'S AN OMEN!!!! [face_hypnotized]

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ugh it's almost impossible to read those patch notes on a mobile browser. Will have to wait til I get home :(

In other news though -- I am now Facebook friends with my high school freshman year English teacher, what! So awesome!

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

22. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009

You do have a long line of friend requests.

RC-1991 and Rogue_Follower like this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've been Facebook friends with my high school world history teacher for awhile now. I'm surprised, sorta, at how many people in their 70s use Facebook.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Very funny :p it was I who sent the friend request, which I expect people to act on immediately.

Same. I have my great-uncle and great-aunt on fb, and it's bizarre. I won't accept their friend requests though. If they need to talk to me, thru can do so through my first cousins once removed.

I shouldn't be do surprised to see my own teachers; it's only been a dozen years. But it's still strange because I was so different back then.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My parents are in their 60s and use it, as do several aunts and uncles. I don't swear quite as much on Facebook as I do here, because of them. :p

I'm about to hide my Tea Party gun nut cousin off my feed. Holy hell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.