main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok, this could be awesome, tentatively expected June 2014 and with a working title only on Amazon:

instantdeath and RC-1991 like this.
  2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    "Could be" awesome? It's Erikson, of course it's going to rock!

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Interesting... it almost sounds like Erikson is doing a straight parody. But I imagine very little is as it seems.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I love the to "Boldly go and subjugate.... to blow the...."

Be surprised if we actually get it in June 2014, as that's when Kharkanas Trilogy Book 2 is also due.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    OMG. Just when I thought there couldn't be another decent ANH parody.[face_laugh]

spicer and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The saddest thing about every game after the first is the disappearance of Dr. Warren Vidic. Hands-down the best character in the first game -- and incredibly well-developed villain. Pompous, petty, but so self-absorbed that he hardly deigned to care about his victim; he just treated Desmond with a sort of chummy disregard -- debate philosophy with him, lecture him on Templar wisdom, and then gloat that they were going to kill Desmond anyway so **** you, get in the goddamn machine. Such a great patronizing-jackass-boss type as the evil mastermind. His utter impatience and indifference was such great characterization -- his e-mails are hilarious. He needed to have a much bigger presence in the overall modern story.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Heh, I saw that earlier today.

The best part, of course, is all the random references. My favorite being the Starman and the Titanic Ant -- nobody remembers Earthbound! :D

(except somebody here in the social thread mentioned Mother 3 last month, which was pretty cool)

jSarek and Gorefiend like this.
  8. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Have you been to the Initiates website? Quite a bit of what Vidic was doing post-ACI is revealed there, a lot of it focusing on his relationship with Daniel Cross. And that chummy disregard of his is all over the place in the things you can uncover in ACIV. Plus the name he gave his dog is fantastic. [face_laugh]

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, I love Initiates. Lots if interesting little bits sprinkled around. The game world is at its best when it's dropping little hints all over at bigger stories, playing with stuff -- it's why I'm so sad that the glyph puzzles from ACII and Brotherhood fell by the wayside.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  10. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    tjace likes this.
  11. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    Yeah, I missed those too. ACIV brought a bit of that back in the modern day segments. Finding out the Edelweiss Pirates were connected to the Assassins was pretty cool.

12. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    'Tis a cute video, I agree. A lot of little easter eggs in there for long time Nintendo fans. And I like to see a parody that doesn't resort to crudity to get its humor; it reminds me a lot of the Lego Star Wars games, an affectionate nudge in the ribs for Star Wars fans and Nintendo fans alike.

And I think was the one who mentioned Mother 3, Jello. I'd still mark that as the best-written video game Nintendo's ever made, even though it was never actually released here in the States. It's a crying shame it never did.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  14. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    :D

That. Is. Amazing. You have to love Marvel's commitment to expanding the MCU.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And it's Netflix so JESSICA JONES CAN SWEAR. [face_dancing]

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know who any of those people are.

Why don't they do an "Incredible Hercules" series? I know who those people are.

CaptainPeabody and CooperTFN like this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    AMADEUS CHO 4 LIFE

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
  19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't see why it wouldn't be the same universe as the movies. It's also a great way of opening the door to movie cameos for characters that maybe don't warrant their own film franchises.

o_O

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Don't you raise that eyebrow at me boy. Both Agents of SHIELD and Arrow show promise, though I'd argue that Arrow has lived up to more of it so far (despite some hilarious CWisms, I'm surprised at how much I've enjoyed Arrow). At that to the development of a Flash series, a Gotham series, a Constantine series, and the possible development of a Wonder Woman series ("Amazon"), I don't think it's at all unfair to say that DC looked more promising in TV yesterday.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Hey, I don't deny they were winning on volume. But given their track record I have very little reason to expect much from a Flash TV show, to say nothing of their last Wonder Woman show, which even they realized wasn't worth broadcasting.

jSarek likes this.
  22. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I really don't think that DC has produced any television shows with real quality for quite sometime. The fact that their only real show on television right now is hosted by the CW really amuses me. I've heard good things about Arrow but I've heard more bad things about the CW so I've stayed away.

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The CW is very easy to make fun of, it's true, and while Arrow has featured some cringeworthy soap elements, I've been surprised by how fun it is; unfortunately, much more fun than SHIELD. If you give it a shot, I'd say plow through the first few episodes, which didn't personally inspire much confidence in me. It picks up immensely when the showrunners realize who their audience is.

24. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    Agreed. CW is mostly crap, but Arrow is way better than Agents of Shield, which has improved in quality the past couple episodes but still needs a lot of work IMO. And this season of Arrow has been pretty much non-stop in momentum, expanding the story and world in quite a few ways.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Just got back from an awesome temporary exhibit at the National Gallery -- it was on Byzantine art, but they also had a few neat items from middle and late antiquity. Their aim was to show the "transition in focus" between the high quality realism of ancient art to the more "abstract, spiritual" art of the middle ages. They are, of course, full of **** on that count, but that's the trendy view anyway.

But it was pretty awesome to see some Byzantine ikons that rarely make it out of Greece. And while seeing a handful of classical sculptures made me happy, as well as this awesome 6th century comb with Constantinopolis on one side and enthroned Roma on the other (back when the ERE still cared about such things), by far my favorite thing was the collection of manuscripts they had. There were some 14th century MSS of the Iliad and the Athenian playwrights, but the coolest thing was a 10th century Bible; it was composed during the Macedonian dynasty as a classical codex, which meant florid illustrations and very compressed, very neat calligraphy reminiscent of ancient scrolls with wide margins and stuff (it was still in Byzantine cursive though, and had accent and breathing marks all over). There was also a 13th century copy of the Alexander Romance, with captions in Arabic calligraphy explaining what was going on (for the Ottomans who purchased it after the fall of the ERE, is my guess).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.