Lit ACKBAR IS BACK - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

1. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    @krtmd I finally get your username!
    CooperTFN and krtmd like this.
  2. krtmd Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    'tis true it's quite uninspired

But someone once thought it stood for "karate doctor", which I find very amusing.
    GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    I am calling you karate doctor from now on.
  4. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    King Robert, That Mad Dude?
  5. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    ugh I hate those books so much
  6. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    So, my first GMing session went well enough, all things considered.
    jSarek likes this.
  7. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Being purposely vague, I see [face_not_talking]
  8. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    It stands for "Kriff Ranulph Tarkin, My Dad"
    krtmd likes this.
  9. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    So, everyone into Doctor Who has seen this by now, yeah? IF NOT WATCH IT WATCH IT WATCH IT!

@Trip
    The_Forgotten_Jedi likes this.
  10. krtmd Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Apologies. Jello has seen my true name on the book of face.

My username is my initials "krt" + "md" for Maryland, where I've lived for the last 17 years. It's totally lame and uninspired, and happened quite by accident, but it stuck...
    instantdeath likes this.
  11. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    Show Spoiler
    wtf eight?? did we know this was going to happen?
    Last edited by Trip, Nov 15, 2013
  12. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    It was rumoured, but we didn't know, no.

It's especially awesome because he directly references his Big Finish audio companions (Charley, Lucie, etc).
  13. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    well I watched it. I thought it was lame which I'm sure is a shock. :p that's cool about the Big Finish references though.
  14. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    [IMG]

(It's okay, I didn't really think it'd be your cup of tea... I just know that you have a vague interest in Eight stuff)
    Last edited by Ulicus, Nov 15, 2013
  15. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    well... I liked his costume and stuff!
  16. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Well, hey, here's a spoilery clip from the 50th anniversary special for you hate, too! (Tennant is in it)
    Show Spoiler

17. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    Uli, I need you help my friend. I only got involved in the Matt Smith series, so I am not well versed in Whovian lore. From what I gather from this short and the trailer, the Time Lords and the Daleks waged a pretty severe war against each other. Give me some back ground!

I humbly ask my British friends & comrades-in-arms to help their American cousin out with Whovian history! [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick
  18. jSarek VIP

VIP
    star 4
    My roommates have said that we can't watch it until we watch the 1996 TV movie.
    Gorefiend likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    There's little known info Nick, the Time War was a massive conflict that Russell T Davies created as the backstory for the new Who. Snippets of what went on have been mentioned but there is no complete account as yet, nor is there likely to be I think. The war was waged across all of time and space and likely nearly ended reality.
    AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  20. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    @Ulicus it got taken down ):

@AdmiralNick22 tbh I'd recommend watching seasons 1-4 (the Russell T Davies run) without knowing anything about the Time War since it's more fun building a picture of it as the series goes along and information gets revealed... it's pretty heavily referenced throughout that whole era, the first season and the final special ("The End of Time") in particular. (Also it looks like the upcoming special thing will pretty much totally contradict everything we knew about it previously, so.)
    Last edited by Trip, Nov 16, 2013
  21. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    I believe this is it.
    Day of the Doctor (DW) (open)

Ulicus likes this.
  22. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    @AdmiralNick22

While I disagree with Trip's cynical assertion that Moffat's going to contradict a bunch of stuff regarding the Time War... yes, I think watching the upcoming anniversary episode before you've seen seasons 1-4 (and specials) of the show would be a bad move.

Though, I don't know, part of me wants to use you as a guinea pig. There aren't a great many Doctor Who fans who are going to be INTRODUCED to the Tenth Doctor and the Time War mythos by the 50th... so... hm.

@Trip

Show Spoiler

I should point out, though, that I'm really still not a fan of this whole "War Doctor" thing. It feels very much like Moffat has squeezed in a surprise Doctor-not-called-the-Doctor for the sake of a surprise Doctor-not-called-the-Doctor, and untilunless the special convinces me otherwise by being AMAZING, I'm going to remain very irritated that the war was "stolen" from Eight.

It's also starting to look like Moffat's about to re-retcon the "Morbius Doctors" (introduced before the 12 regeneration limit was brought up) back into pre-Hartnell incarnations of the Doctor. Even though Hartnell will remain the first guy to be called "the Doctor".

Oh, and in SW news, my brother and I went along to the Manchester Star Wars audition, yesterday.

I would only possibly fit the physical description for "Thomas" if you squinted (I figured I could just about play early twenties, but certainly not late teens) and thus, unsurprisingly, did not get past the initial hurdle.

My brother (who is, Uli says jealously, disgustingly beautiful), however, DID get through to the brief interview stage*, afterwards. While we're both sure it won't go TOO far, we're pretty excited to see if he gets a callback... just to see how far he can take it. :D

* This basically just involved them asking some simple questions, like, "What's a place that inspires you?" or "Who's your favourite comedian?", "Why did you want to audition?", etc.
    Last edited by Ulicus, Nov 17, 2013
  23. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6

Why.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Nov 17, 2013
  24. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
  25. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10