main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I dreamed that I went to a theater to see ROTS for $1.50. Have I mentioned that I hate ROTS? For some reason the theater had a leather floor that when you sat on it, molded itself into leather reclining seats that perfectly fit to your body. But I was in line for popcorn behind someone who was taking his sweet time, and I said, "If you don't hurry, we're going to miss the only good half hour in this movie!"

:oops:

Gorefiend likes this.
  2. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    That is pretty funny. When I first saw RoTS in theaters I was eleven and I fell asleep after Dooku died and kept waking up for the action scenes. Funny, that's what happened when I went to see The Hobbit: Desolation of the Source Material. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was 33 and had just had a baby, but unfortunately even with sleep deprivation, I stayed awake through the whole thing.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Honestly, ROTS is the worst prequel film.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Ah somehow AOTC still manages to be just that much worse.

PS: Peter Capaldi looks pretty awesome as Doctor, so hoping them casting an older actor means they will turn to at least a little more serious tone.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

I'm wondering if they're going to use the older Doctor as an excuse to do some of the things they used to do in the show, like maybe bring back Susan. That's still sort of a glaring loose end in the history of the program, and would have been awkward to address with one of the younger Whos.

Also Lugija I ripped through 6/10 of GoT series 3 yesterday. Reading your reviews now. They have been sorely missed.... But alas, no more Renly speculation. Although I loved the horse gif. You sicko.:p

Oh... aha. Yeah, I didn't catch that either . Blargh. Thanks for pointing that out.:oops:These critiques are better for more than just the laughs.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    AotC is definitely the worst.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    For me it's the difference in wanting to slap Anakin in a few scenes as opposed to wanting to slap Anakin for the entire last hour and a half of the film.

By those standards AOTC is better.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Let me explain how I'm coming at it. Without any context, AotC is objectively the worst. But this isn't objective: we expected a lot from RotS, it was arguably the lynchpin of the entire prequel trilogy: it had a lot riding on it. And it failed to deliver: badly. I suspect a great deal of its popularity was because it's not AotC.

But that doesn't matter, because it should have been much better. But it wasn't, so therefore it's the worst.

edit: What, a_g, not a fan of crybaby Vader? :p

Yeah seriously guys, darth emo was not what we signed on for.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I could deal with some emo. But I didn't sign up for Darth Moron.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I just found his whole conversion so... simple? Like, stupidly simple. He gets understandably frustrated and chops at Windu, and then Palpatine's all "join me." and then Anakin is like "ok." And that's it. Where'd all the turmoil and indecision go? He just flips a switch. wtf man. This is the same guy who was heroic in the clone wars and loved people too much, the same guy who had an inner conflict that redeemed him from the dark side? pfft. "There is no conflict" was right!

Honestly the only remotely good thing about ROTS is that I. it's really pretty (the battle and Coruscant especially) and II. Stover's novelization, which singlehandedly saves the whole thing from disaster.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh, RotS wouldn't be my favorite from the PT without Stover's novelization, especially the opening epigraph and introduction.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You're supposed to want to slap him. :p

But no, I take your point (and yours, Jello). But "objectively the worst" is how I judge them. I can agree that RotS should have been better, but good or bad, a work of art is not subject to my expectations. I'm sure there are people out there who were more excited for the Clone Wars than Anakin's fall in and of itself, so you could still make that argument against AotC if you wanted to.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'll give AOTC props for Count Dooku as being a decent antagonist.

The EU material (the HNN article about the Fall of Duro, or the appearance in the CW micro-series) had me excited for General Grievous. And, well... you know the rest. :p

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    HNN in general was inspired. I miss it (and I miss GalaxyWide NewsNets even more).

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Maybe FFG might resurrect it in some form or another.

17. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    We can hope, though it'd be nice to have something of a similar spirit to the original website, still, leading in to the sequel trilogy.

18. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Speaking of resurrecting old ideas, Anyone around here who would want to see a resurrected Adventure Journal with RPG supplements and new short stories/scenarios come out every say 3-4 months?

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The better question is if there's anyone here who wouldn't.

edit: I subscribed to Insider instead of Gamer back in the day because I was an idiot, but I'd do the reverse if FFG tried its own hand at what SWAJ and Gamer tried to do.

AdmiralWesJanson and Zeta1127 like this.
  20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That reminds me; I need to get my damn Gamer collection on eBay already.

21. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    I really would love to get hard copies of Gamer. I got lucky and have managed to find digital versions, which is awesome, but I don't like reading on a screen.

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I managed to leap in at issue #3 or #4 (I forget which) because it included A GALAXY MAP, which is an easy sell to me.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd borrowed my friends' copy of #5 to read the Emperor's Pawns article, and I still own a copy of #8 that he gave me to keep and I think I've read bits and pieces of some others ("Red Sky, Blue Flame" comes to mind) but I'd love to read all of them some day.

Still have to read all my SWAJs though, which I've avoided reading because they're just too good. If we ever do lose the EU, I'll be able to cling to my SWAJs... I guess I'm saving them for a rainy day.

24. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    I'm with you Jello.

I've managed to find 8 of the 15 AJs and am working on finding the rest, but have yet to crack them. I guess they're my "emergency reserve" as well.

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    There's so much material crammed into those journals, you'll have a while before you exhaust them all.

Between Star Wars and Paranoia, there's a lot to be angry about regarding WEG's collapse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.