main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I miss the examination of Don's family life, but I don't fault the decision to move away from Betty. She appears to the extent that she's still in Don's life, but the show is better off at that point focusing on Don and establishing the new agency than on the domestic life of the Francises. I think there's less of interest there and less to say.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I agree.

I got some Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver pangs, too. I miss Nosgoth!!!

Still, I've wanted a "fantasy Assassin's Creed" for a while, so I'll keep my eye on SoM.

Frodo was also a bore. :p

Then again, I haven't read LotR since I was rather young. Maybe I'd have a greater appreciation for it, now.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Mad Men later after more important stuff. For now, I'm becoming fiercely annoyed that I'm trying to find Bib Fortuna and the Rise of Dark Falls and failing. Has it been purged from the interwebz? Right now I'm questioning its very existence. Though I understand it featured some kind of viper. Maybe it knows where I can find it.

RC-1991, Ulicus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ask Trip you must. [face_whistling]

EDIT: Awww Ulicus I liked Revanfan1 's thread. :( We were discussing everyone's two favorite things: naked Neimoidians and Traviss Mandos!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Derek_J_Reda

Derek_J_Reda Author: • BFATROTDF • DFOTROTDF VIP

Mar 30, 2009
    Yes, the viper plays a significant role in Bib's character development. I can't go further without spoiling it. You'll see when you read it for yourself.

As for finding a copy, that's getting hard these days. The 1984 publishing run was very limited (UK only) and there have been no reprints, due to some negative publicity issues that I cannot legally speak about. You may have heard that I won a lawsuit in 2009 that forced Lucasfilm to rerelease it. Unfortunately, my lawyer was less than thorough, and the agreement's wording was such that LFL was able to get away with releasing a single copy of the novel.

That copy promptly disappeared. I suspect it was bought by Steve Sansweet, as he later wrote a short Insider article covering Bib Fortuna and the Rise of the Dark Falls. His depiction of me was unflattering and I would rather not talk about it.

I don't think there are any full copies of the book on the internet, so your best bet is eBay. I think a first print edition showed up there some years ago.

6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I am confirmed that it does in fact exist, but I think I lost my copy when I moved. But you are definitely missing out if you haven't read it.

The tragedy of Bib Fortuna, his nightmares of losing his body again, his glorious plot to put the New Republic on its knees, the duel with the Viper, This is how it feels to be eaten, it is quite an adventure. But eww the lekku scene, I didn't except that at all.

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Me no understand. Too much grammar.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, the dragon was pretty neat. But I was still pretty bored by that film, but probably because I saw it the day after I saw Frozen (which is one of the few films I've seen twice in theaters, and may possibly become the only film I see three times in theaters).

The writing style thing is pretty neat. Of course, I have no idea how these things are actually written but I can buy that. D'ya think it's intentional though, or just a different authorial focus?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

But the lekku scene gave us critical insights into Twi'lek linguistics and the role of the head-tails in communication! Every depiction of Twi'leks thereafter is dependent upon it!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Every word of praise I see towards Bib Fortuna and the Rise of Dark Falls is vicious mockery.

And are you guys serious about it actually having physical copies? I just assumed it was a really, um, interesting fanfic, Star War's version of My Immortal. I don't need to hold it in my hands, I just want to read it :p

11. Derek_J_Reda

Mar 30, 2009
    Don't forget that it's also an important metaphor for pre-Republic history. Each lekku symbolizes one the struggling forces that eventually came together in a climactic battle for the future of the galaxy.

12. Derek_J_Reda

Mar 30, 2009
    I sense you have some doubts.

I assure you, Bib Fortuna and the Rise of the Dark Falls *is* a real book, and was at once point officially sanctioned by Lucasfilm. There was even a brief resurgence of attention back in the early 90s, when the EU started up again. Dark Horse planned a comic adaptation for a while, but it was canceled due to ongoing legal issues. Some of the original art did make its way into the Topps Galaxy card series. You can see them here and here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The viper is a bit exaggerated in both images, but I think it's a very good depiction of my vision.

13. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    If you think we are going to give a proper answer, you haven't been paying attention.

Definitely a different authorial focus. Tolkien wrote LotR as he went, Faramir walks out of the woods, Tolkien has to figure out who he is. But since Tolkien wrote the appendices as if he had "only" translated it from Westeros I like to think of the books like that. And wonder what LotR would have been if Bilbo had written it based on Frodo's notes. :p "This Galadriel's song isn't very catchy, I'll put a few tralalla's here" "I know all this history stuff is important, but what if we cut off most of it and instead have Gandalf telling a story to Denethor about the hobbits?"

Reading Tolkien's letters gives a lot of insight of his grand project of creating the Middle-earth. One farmer asked a permission to name her bull after some character, Tolkien answers that a bull is mundo in sindarin and that good names for bulls would be Aramund ('Kingly bull'), Tarmund ('Noble bull'), Rasmund ('Horned bull') Turcomund ('Chief of bulls')... Then according to the biography he spent a long while thinking why bull is mundo and what are the word's roots.

And this new mod crusade against read-through threads has made me again consider porting my Split in Two stuff to Tumblr. Reading through the thread I wonder why I didn't think of that earlier. It doesn't have that many comments and the formatting is close to Renly Is Right, they could be sister-blogs. (Then Step 2: Flood the forum with links to the blog :p I think not).

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not so much a crusade as it is proactive moderation so that we're not inundated with a forum full of read-through threads, and that they aren't abandoned halfway through too.

That thing about the bulls, though, is fascinating. It sounds absolutely insane and yet really interesting at the same time. I find myself wondering how one would say "Bull of Bulls" -- giving it a nice, Persian feel. Or perhaps more of a Mughal "The Bullingest Bull." But that would be Orientalizing what is essentially a western-influenced setting, at least as far as I know.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Let me yell "Help! I'm being oppressed!" in peace, will you?
    And yup, my thread would likely only be going full steam in summer months (when I have evenings free at least), so while it would never die it would stay long periods in coma.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Thank you. :)

Ulicus, I didn't intent my Reavesverse threat to be a typical readthrough thread. Yes, I was reading through the series, but I intentionally opened the thread as a general discussion to the Reavesverse that I would bring up the biggest topics in as I came to them–but I named it "A Reavesverse Discussion" because I didn't want it to be a readthrough thread; I wanted it to be a thread where people felt free to discuss the Reavesverse whenever they wanted, and my topics would just be used as conversation stimulants. Not asking you to reopen it if you feel it needed to be closed, but I'm just kind of sad about it.

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    *pauses from finishing up the OP for his Veronica Mars viewing thread*

Wait, are we not doing these now?

18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Anyone watched that show? o_O

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I always forget to back these things in time. But that's ok, I'd have only gotten a t-shirt anyway :p

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Look on the bright side - at least none of the Mod Squad think they can wield supreme executive power because some tart gave 'em a sword!

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes but he is Iello, King Emperor of the Litons!

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually a farcical aquatic ceremony is exactly how AdmiralNick22 got his modship.

MercenaryAce and Havac like this.
  24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There's a twelve volume answer to that question.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When I feel like changing my signature again and losing the quote from the Doctor Who "Blink" episode, my next one will certainly be "Let me yell 'Help! I'm being oppressed!' in peace, will you?"

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.