main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That game. I would play it.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's a kickstarter game, isn't it?

3. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    It's 2014. Everything is a Kickstarter game now.

4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

CALL OF DUTY 29.5! FUND IT NOW ON KICKSTARTER!

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I've been playing The Elder Scrolls Online beta for the stress test this weekend and I have to admit my interest is piqued, so much so I might give it a purchase.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Secret World has been the only MMORPG to pique my interest, but certainly a chance to explore Tamriel - as well as play in the chaotic Second Age - does sound tempting.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The gameplay is a blend of Skyrim and traditional MMORPG, so perhaps in that sense it's similar to Morrowind. I haven't played Morrowind in a while so I don't recall if lacked animations that register when an enemy is struck by a powerful attack. I haven't played it enough to really comment that much on it though.

blackmyron and Mia Mesharad like this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I wasn't going to get it for lore reasons (and a general dislike of MMOs) but they announced the Imperial pack, and I gave in for the chance to play as an Imperial. :p

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I haven't heard of this. What is it?

Edit: As for lore, obviously the entire second era is one giant dragon break.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There's an "Imperial edition" (80 digital, 100 physical) that lets you play as the Imperial race, get a white Imperial horse, and magically transform every armor set you're wearing into Imperial-styled armor. They basically should have named it the "Everything Jello Wants So That He'll Actually Buy This Game Edition."

Even besides the assault on lore, I wasn't gonna get the game because they arbitrarily disallowed my favorite race from being playable. And now look.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I like to pretend I'm Tiber Septim and I could never decide if Nord, Breton, or Imperial was the proper race to take. If we believe the OFFICIAL story, I suppose it would be Nord, but if we believe the Arcturian Heresy I suppose it would be Breton. Or just go Imperial like whatever I dunno.

Edit: I think the thing which bums me out which is somewhat of a lore issue is the alliances. Dark elves don't really make sense aligned with the Nords or the Argonians, and I think it's a bummer that the Nords and Bretons aren't aligned. It probably should have been Nords, Redguard, and Bretons as the races of men, and I guess pretty much fallen down to the men versus the elves versus the beast races. Though I'm not sure how well a Khajit, Orsimer, and Argonian alliance would make sense, or a Dunmer, Altmer, and Bosmer alliance.

I think they wanted each faction to have its own race of men, elf, and beast, because that's how it breaks down.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, but the preorder bonus means you can play any race for any faction anyway, so there goes that reason. :p

At least they acknowledge the ridiculousness now. I was reading the faction info pages on their site, and they note how crazy it is for Nords to be working with Dunmer and such. Doesn't fix the problem, but at least they point out it's really strange.

Anyway, I'd never be a Nord. I played a Breton during the beta once, which was just barely on the edge of acceptable. It is basically Imperial or nothing for me, though I do have some fondness for the Dunmer due to Morrowind and what lore subsequently did to the poor guys.

Sadly, the Imperials have to play for one of the three alliances. There is no "drive the provincials out of Cyrodiil and restore the Empire faction," sadly. So I'll end up joining whatever faction my friends decide on going with, since I've no horse in the race (well... I'll have a white horse from the CE, but Imperial knights in shining armor don't need to vote :p )

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I was thinking I might be a Nord if I get the game at launch. Although I did notice preorders get any race in any faction. I think I want to do Ebonhart Pact just because Skyrim and Morrowind are the most interesting, though High Rock is too. I might just go Imperial, as I like the Roman armor.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I was also kind of disappointed about that.

Course, as the story currently is, the Imperials are being run by the worst demons around, so I do have to question your priorities if you are more worried about provincials than..you know...demons.:p

Plus, we know Tiber Septim comes in and wins anyway.

Anyway, I would have thought for you to have been a High Elf man. After all, they have the oldest civilization, the fanciest clothes, and the most inane social rules, so by your standards they are obviously the most moral faction.

PS - the faction line-up never bothered me: after all, history is full of examples of war making for strange bedfellows, up to and including people trading with or even teaming with up the people they are currently at war with.

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I suppose you could compare it to the United States and the Soviet Union in World War II.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I was thinking something more like France and Britain during the Entente Cordial -- had they lost WWI, they'd probably have gone on hating each other. Good point about Tiber Septim being the one to win in the end.

I'm torn about the Ebonheart faction. On one hand, I'm really interested to see Morrowind in a next gen engine... on the other hand, I've already seen Morrowind and Skyrim. Also the lore is potentially more painful; I bet they'll have a settled Vvardenfell or something.

But oh well. The lack of Imperial faction at least means that I won't be a pain as far as my friends are concerned. One of them wants the elven faction, which is a red line for me. No way I'm joining that side!

I'm really curious what the Imperial armor looks like. We've been able to preview all the other armor sets in the beta, but not for Imperials. All we know is that their heavy armor is knightly like all the rest, with a Roman-looking helmet and shoulders, and the Reman diamond in the center (admittedly nice touch; glad they realized that the Septim dragon would be inappropriate).

Also speaking of things I want, I just won a bid on a chess set I've been trying to get for at least the last five years. Still cost an arm and a leg, but it's substantially lower than what I've generally seen it go for.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

17. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    The chess set? Congratulations.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Chess Set of the Gods, yes. Have we discussed it before? I never remember these things. :p

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

19. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    We discussed (several) chess sets, but not that one, no. How many do you have?

20. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    How big bonuses it has? +7 to knights?

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I only have the chess set I just brought. :p

[​IMG]

The board is gilded wood and marble. The white pieces are bisque with 24kt gold accents (Greek gods) and the black are black porcelain with 24kt accents representing the Roman gods. It's a big set -- Jupiter/Zeus is about six inches tall. I have owned the Athena piece separately for years now but I'm pleased to have the entire set.

Do you approve?

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...I was totally about to make fun of you, but that's actually pretty cool. I don't even want to think about what you paid for it.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah it's not one of those hokey chess sets you can find on the interwebs, it's actual quality. It usually goes for a thousand or two -- let's just say that's the main reason I've waited years on this one, as I have no desire to pay anywhere near that much.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It will look great inside your big glass prison someday.

Sorry, couldn't hold it in anymore.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    He didn't pay for it, he confiscated it from the previous owner. For the good of the Empire and all that you know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.