main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Holy **** another car just flipped over in the intersection in front of my place! This is the second time this year![face_hypnotized]

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You put a bunch of banana peels out there, didn't you?

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Why not just admit to your telekinetic powers, already, you car-flipping fiend?

Point Given and CT-867-5309 like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

So, you admit you have a Vodafone contract?

Ulicus likes this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    There's a couch on my roof for a reason.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Not just the Prequel, but old Bantam - my least favorite NJO novels are the ones where we go back to Bakura, the Koornacht Cluster, etc. They should've been limited to a short story at best.

Considering the awful PT explosion of WOTC's initial SWRPG run, I'm guessing that if LFL wasn't making a mandate to feature it, they were 'strongly suggesting' it.

I don't think I'll ever dump Star Wars completely - I've already done that between circa 1986 and 1995. Paradoxically, I think it's in part because there are so many other franchises I'm interested in, at one level or another, I haven't become burnt out.

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, the Force Heretic trilogy was the weak point of the series overall. I think Williams and Dix incorporated all the Bantam stuff on their own initiative, IIRC.

And I seem to be in the minority of people that liked the Black Fleet trilogy. :(

Zeta1127 and CooperTFN like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know what the hell they did with Force Heretic, but it wasn't good.

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I like it, except everything with Akanah, which is excruciating.

Vagabond and the Yevetha were plenty cool, though.

Zeta1127 and DigitalMessiah like this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    They brought two writers in at the last minute, tasked them with writing a trilogy of filler, and let them go wild with the library of Bantam creations.

Edit: I liked Luke's arc in Black Fleet. I am pretty indifferent to Akanah. Of course, back when I read it I believed she really knew Luke's mother and that she was a Fallanassi, and perhaps I could put it in the misconceptions thread but I seem to recall thinking that the Fallanassi that Han met might have been Luke's mother until the end.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I was totally over Star Wars but then Dark Empire happened.

[​IMG]

12. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I enjoy BFC. I love how the author had the brilliant idea of "hey, doesn't the NR still use massively outdated fighters and capital ships? Let's change that!" and everyone except for Empire at War modders ignored him.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Oh, the LFL making 'suggestions' was only directed at the ham-handed PT inclusions.

I liked it, but the Lando stuff should've been separate.

My beef was having the near-final NJO books taking a detour to Bakura and Koornacht, which was a stretch. It just seemed like a gratuitous revisiting of past novels.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Am I the only one who likes Force Heretic? I liked going back to Bakura and the Koornacht Cluster.
    Haven't been to either place in 10 years roughly so I fail to see the problem. We've been to Hapes twice, Ithor, Borleais (spelling), etc so why is it a stretch to go there? They do exist in the galaxy, you do know that? Showing how the rest of the galaxy that we haven't seen is faring from the war makes sense to me.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The locales were not even on the radar as far as the problems I had with that trilogy. Unless "I wish they'd just get the **** to Zonama Sekot" indicates a problem with locales.

I just thought the writing was appallingly bad.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't have a problem with the idea of revisiting a planet. I think the problem is that when you do this "Bantam reunion tour" like Force Heretic and FOTJ did, it seems contrived, and in the case of Force Heretic, the Ssi-Ruuvi plot is really a distraction and the fate of the Yevetha was just a passing mention.

I know one of the reasons why the NJO was extremely controversial was that in addition to killing characters, it was destroying worlds. Ithor, Coruscant, N'zoth, Duro, etc. I know I was particularly peeved at the time that Coruscant was destroyed just as we were visually exploring it in the prequel films, but that was back when I was the destroyer of the EU.

I feel like in a galaxy as big as Star Wars, the Bantam model in which there was very little consistency in setting (except for KJA) is a good thing. I don't really need to revisit a world unless it really benefits the plot. This is part of the reason why I find the past decade of stories so unsatisfactory, among many others, but Coruscant is so horribly overused now I really wish it was still Yuuzhan'tar.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I might be nostalgic for the trilogy since that was my first books in the series when they came out. I had a butchered reading of them the first time. I don't mind the trilogy. Not the best ever but still really good. Only being on one main planet for each group was lame and yeah getting to ZS was on my mind too. OR maybe I had the Nom Anor sections holding me over.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I remember some Pokémon discussion in here a while back, so I thought I'd bring up the latest greatest thing ever. It's this site where anyone can give commands to a program that plays through Pokémon Red/Blue. Thing is, there's thousands of people on at the same time, so it's just a cacophonous mess and it takes forever to do such simple tasks as moving forward.

It's one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen, and that is no exaggeration. Here's the link to the site, called Twitch.

It's been going on 13 days straight so far, 24/7, and they've beaten 7 of the 8 gym leaders. It's already got a wikipedia page. It's amazing. One of the coolest features of the whole thing is that there are two modes for submitting commands- anarchy and democracy. Most of the time it's in anarchy mode, where anyone can input whatever command they want. This is when nothing tends to be accomplished. But sometimes it can enter democracy mode, where people have to vote for the next command.

Really, this just has to be seen to be believed. To put it into perspective, there are currently 40,000+ people playing a single game of Pokémon.

RC-1991 and tjace like this.
  19. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Ledges are worse than complex puzzles.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The soundtracks to some of the pokemon games are on i-tunes. Going to have to look into them.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't want to believe it. :p

Another video about the latest update on the private test server with an Imperial character. I wish this game would come out already, but it's nice that they're still fixing problems, and this addition of collision detection with NPCs, as well as making starter islands optional, is a sign that the devs are listening to the fans.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

Good night, everybody!

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    My eyes! MY EYES!!!

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can fully understand that reaction. I mean that is just completely wrong cutie-mark for Obi-Wan; a chopped of arm on the other hoof would fit him perfect

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, brain, you're kind of a scumbag for making me dream about all that nonsense last night... but, at the same time, you finished up by letting me ride a really awesome-to-handle swoop bike around Tatooine/Tunisia, so you're forgiven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.