main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    9_9

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Trip, it's kinda too late now. I've preordered the thing. :p

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

3. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    =DD

so un-predorder it

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Can't. It's a thing that charges automatically.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

5. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

Indeed, Willful Child is his sci-fi entry. The preview that came out a while back was humorous, so I'll certainly give it a look when it hits. How far are you in Malazan? Andarist gets about as much screen time in Forge of Darkness as Anomander Rake.

Christopher Lee, huh? Fancasting Malazan is fun. Giancarlo Esposito was born to play Quick Ben, and Henry Ian Cusick would make a fantastic Tehol Beddict. Meanwhile, Morgan Freeman needs to be Duiker.

6. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    ah. bummer

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Willful Child you mean ID? Yeah, that's due Sept.

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Not as far as I'd like. I've finished the first four books of the series, and am about to finish the novella series. Doesn't help at all that I've developed the habit of reading a million things at once. And yeah, for all Erikson's reputation of being endlessly ponderous and longwinded, the guy is really funny. Probably the most humorous fantasy series I've read, save for Terry Pratchett (but I've only read his first).

And yes, I can't help but fancast the Malazan series. I'm generally not the fancasting type, but I've got a clear image of pretty much every major character in the series (death not being an obstacle; the Crippled God is Marlon Brando and Alec Guiness is Gamet. Hopefully Hood will cut me some slack. Speaking of which, I picture Hood as a clean shaven Ian McKellen). Christopher Lee is Andarist to a tee (whatever that means); even his elegant fencing style conjured images of Dooku for me. I also love the frequent fancast of Christopher Walken as Kallor (tell me that isn't perfect), and Sean Bean as Whiskeyjack for one obvious reason. I could go on.

9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Excellent. And then we can get started on the rest of the series, the prequel series, and the other three or four series I've recommended to you, plus several that I haven't even begun to discuss yet. And then television. :p

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Good. And then when I'm 90, I'll finally be done.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    You won't have to wait until you're 90 if you'd just quit your job already.

12. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Idk, shouldn't Kallor be a bit more menacing? This is literally the dude who was so bad his civilization called down the Crippled God to stop him, and it didn't work. Then, three Elder Gods came to curse him, and he cursed them right the hell back. For whatever reason, I imagine Fiddler as HBO's version of Thoros of Myr, and Antsy as Tormund Giantsbane.

I sometimes come up with weird voice-casting for it, too. I'm rereading Deadhouse Gates at the moment, and for whatever reason Coltaine is voiced by Ulfric Stormcloak, Bult by Galmar, and Leoman by Jeremy Irons. And Dassem Ultor is pretty much Ulysses from Fallout: New Vegas in my mind.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I enjoyed Percy Jackson quite a bit. I haven't read Riordan's new series though. Also you should read the Bartimaeus trilogy afterwards Jello. I'm sure The Loyal Imperial will agree.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Novellas? You mean the Korbal Broach and Bauchelain tales ID? The Healthy Dead is a particular favourite!

15. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Oh god I preordered it too! What have I done?!

Maybe I'll play both.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My son is reading Lightning Thief right now and I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've never read the series, given how popular it is.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I just realized that Point Given ruined the triple Ramis. :(

RC-1991 and Point Given like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What is this trilogy about? Without spoilers, of course.

Anyway, why didn't you tell me to read Percy Jackson, then? It's right up my ally. (P.S. the new series is even better -- I'd argue that every single book he's written in that universe is an improvement on the books prior. I was downright sad to have caught up with the last one.)

The first book was the hardest to get through I think, since it's the most childish -- I stalled early on with the first book 4 years ago, and outright stopped on the third book. On my reread, it turns out that was pretty silly of me because the third book is basically where it turns the page and becomes a lot more sophisticated.

I especially liked it because I was already conversant with all the mythology so I could just tear on through it without getting confused by the names.

And the weird part about its popularity is that it seems very underground -- or rather, I guess it's popular with this generation of kids the way something like Animorphs or Potter was with mine, so I missed the boat on it since I generally refuse to read YA fiction. But it's very much worth reading.

19. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008

*facepalm* myself... did i honestly say Bulbasaur? I was obsessed with pokemon from 1st to 3rd gen. I have brought dishoner to my family :'(

*edit* I just realized i will have to live with the shame of that post for the rest of my existence. or until skynet becomes self aware and destroys the internet.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Admittedly, they were a sheer delight to read once I got into them. Sometimes it's nice to have a book that just makes time fly and relaxes you. I've a lot of good books on my list that I need to get them, but few are so transporting. I'm kinda sad that I've caught up.

But I'm really not entirely sure that I could say the same thing about most YA fiction. People have been trying to get me to read Harry Potter for over a decade and a half now and I just refuse. I cannot get past the childish prose the first book starts with.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

Fox's X-Files promos were so misleading.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So a few people on Twitter are saying that Aaron Allston collapsed at a con this evening and was taken to the hospital. [face_plain]

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.