main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Folks seem to be getting married with regularity, and these things tend to involve a bit of traveling with people I know being all around. Stuffing clothes into suitcases means a lot of maintenance and prep to get ready, in addition to travel exhaustion and the like.

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    jello you should have less friends, bam problem solved

Cynical_Ben and Findswoman like this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I have this funny thing going on where every time someone I know gets married someone else gets divorced.

s65horsey likes this.
  4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't get invited to weddings. :(

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Why not? Or is this a mystery?
    [​IMG]

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It's a mystery. Either that or my extended family hates me.

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh well. It saves me the time and money of having to dress up.

9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    For those interested in such things, Doug Walker (the Nostalgia Critic) put together a list of the 11 things he likes the most out of the Prequel trilogy. Nice to see a web critic who gets most of his traction from negativity focus on providing optimism for something that's such a punching bag nowadays. He picks out characters, scenes, and effects he's a fan of, and while I don't agree with him on everything, the perspective is interesting and he does have legitimately decent points in some cases.

Findswoman and TrakNar like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    huh, that's different. I'll have to take a look-see tomorrow.

11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    All I went to was Pyke, and Renly's camp at Bitterbridge. :(

And now for something completely different: Spider-Man was, well, amazing!

MercenaryAce likes this.
  12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Really? Because the trailers made it look like the blandest movie in like forever.

13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

I'd invite you to mine, but I'm already married!

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That's what time machines are for. Jeez.

Revanfan1, TrakNar and Findswoman like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    JackG were both of those in Ireland?

Now that I recognize that loggia, it makes me laugh how they keep going back to it. Awesome.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    It looks like Spider-Man 3, only without emo Peter Parker Saturday Night Fever-ing down the streets of New York. I'll probably see it, but I'm not making it a priority, since I thought the first once was okay.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    For one of my friend's weddings, I got the best of both worlds. I didn't get invited, and for some reason he remembered me there.

19. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    And in other news, the latest Batman show, Beware the Batman, which was removed from Cartoon Network's schedule for no explained reason, will be airing the rest of their produced episodes...

... at 3am at a part of Toonami. I'm not the biggest fan of the show, GL:TAS and Young Justice were both much better, but it hasn't even aired a full season yet, only 11 episodes. None of the plots or characters have had a chance to develop, let along pay off. And yet, Teen Titans Go! is not only still airing double episodes in BTB's place, but it's already been renewed for a second season.

CN seems determined to strangle off an ounce of maturity and creativity the DC team will give them. I'm glad that Rebels won't be airing there, since I'm sure they'd just can it without saying why after the second season, then mumble something about their demographics and toy sales and go back to Johnny Test re-runs.

20. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    That is good news. I hope there are a few more new superhero cartoons on the horizon, especially ones better than Avengers Assemble.

Speaking of which, io9 posted a funny scathing review of the last new Avengers episode with Ant-Man in it.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I was gonna say, it could be worse- they could have been airing on Disney XD where you either get good franchises turned into crap (Avengers Assemble) or excellence is intentionally killed for appealing too strongly to an adult demographic (Tron: Uprising).

darthscott3457 likes this.
  22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    GrandAdmiralJello -- yeah, it was in County Antrim in Northern Ireland.

Gorefiend -- I liked Spider-Man; don't be deceived by the trailers: it's actually an enjoyable film.

23. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    The latter seems to be exactly where CN in heading, if not even moreso. Apparently, according to some material I've read since it came out on Netflix, Green Lantern: TAS (which is superb, by the way, everyone should go watch it even if they're not a Hal Jordan fan) was not renewed for its second season because 1: the Green Lantern toys from the live action movie didn't sell well and 2: Because the show had too high a female demographic. Not too low a male or young male demographic, just too high a female one. Young Justice got a second season, but was let go for similar reasons: bad toy sales and too old/diverse a viewing demographic.

Basically CN doesn't want intelligent, quality shows that draw in viewers of all ages and genders, they just want the young boys who'll get their parents to buy them action figures to watch their cartoons. But it's hardly a unique mindset to CN, unfortunately. The aforementioned Avengers Assemble and Ultimate Spiderman are both geared from the ground up for that exact reason, which is why both have struggled to gain traction with the older fans (understatement). Ultimate Spidey at least has a decent episode every once in a while, but pretty much everything I've heard about AA is bad. People place blame on Man of Action Studios for dumbing the shows down (since they had a hand in some of Avengers:EMH's worst episodes in the mid-to-late second season), but they can hardly be blamed if they're just making what the studio wants them to make.

I can only pray that Rebels is successful enough on all counts not to have that sort of executive meddling in it. From the noises they've made on Twitter, all of the creators involved seem extremely proud of what they've made and excited for its debut. We'll just have to wait and see.

Revanfan1, Gamiel and Mia Mesharad like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    CN has gone downhill since the late 90's/early 2000's.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I finally got around to starting Stover's Caine series. I dunno; it's sort of like Hunger Games meets WoW and I can't get it out of my head everyone has bigass shoulder armor and goofy swords.

And all the elves have rabbit ears. Sorry, Matt. Glad you don't post here anymore to see this.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.